Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Such an awesome story! So cool you goto to experience it with your boy. My son is your sons age and is begging to go fishing! I wish I had a boat like yours. I just don't think he's ready for the party boats.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
F9879FDE-EFD4-4D8E-A997-F9A2A6D313DC.jpeg

Reactions: Ryan js
Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Congrats. Great job landing the big bluefin on 20lb. bass gear off our local beach, and your son driving and gaffing. I'm getting ready to fish out of DP later this week but your story will be hard to follow. No pressure.

Upvote 0

sdapguy

Sep 25, 2020
US
Name
D P
Boat
1994 15' Dauntless Whaler
AWESOME!! Best part is there is hope for the following generation!! Great to see him out there and getting a solid lesson in life!

Upvote 0

djd35de

• Jul 18, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    18.5 Boston whaler
    Hearing that BFT were close to home I decided to do a late run on Thursday afternoon with my son to take a look. Threw the heavier gear in the skiff and cleared the harbor entrance at 5pm.

Looked around for awhile but didn’t see anything so we called it an evening.

The next day my wife wanted to take her sister and kids to look for dolphin but they needed to take a nap before heading out. So I threw the bass gear in the boat and took my son out to fish for bass down by San Clemente pier for an hour.

Made a few casts and looked out west to see birds building up with foamers below and not a boat on it yet. We reeled our lines in and jammed the throttle.

We roll up to see 20-60+ pound tuna blowing up on bait.

All we had was our bass gear so I sling my heaviest outfit (Seeker BCBW 709-7 with a Penn Slammer 4500 spinning reel w/20lb).

Took a few casts with a blue and chrome mega bait and hooked one. It started ripping line and I knew we were going to be in for a long battle with a 20lb set up.

My son who is eight, got behind the wheel and followed the fish for me when needed. He also placed a call to my wife to let them know we were going to be late picking them up at the dock because there were tuna around.

Got the fish to color and it took off again. Brought it back up, told my son to grab the gaff. On its final death circle, my son quickly passed the gaff and was able to get a clean head shot on it. It took about 1.5hrs to bring in but was well worth the battle. I was extremely impressed with the rod and reel, just wish I had heavier line on it or my tuna gear.

As I pulled it over the side, I quickly realized I didn’t have my kill bag or ice so I spiked and bled it, and shoe-horned it into the bait tank.

Took the long 10 minute boat ride back to the harbor to meet the family who had the kill bag full of ice. Threw the fish on ice and went out to find some dolphin for the little ones. I did manage a few more casts with the family on the boat since the BFT were still up and only a few miles off the point.

It was an amazing day on the water and an incredible experience to have with my son. I was so stoked that he did such a great job at listening, driving the boat, and helping with the gaff. It was truly a team effort to bring our first BFT on the skiff.

View attachment 1298008

View attachment 1298009

View attachment 1298011

View attachment 1298012

View attachment 1298013

View attachment 1298022
    Wow, what a great story ! Life time memory right there.

Upvote 0

Old Blue

Almost A Member
    May 12, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    23 Blackman, Old Blue
    Absolutely A+
    Atta boy Pops ! ! !

Coupla Brofos out killin it waitin fo the gals to look for the porpoise. Ha Ha!

Old Blue

Upvote 0