JoshuaD

Surfing or fishing somewhere
Nov 30, 2007
Surfing or Fishing somewhere
Name
Josh
Boat
Livingston 155 “Sushi Zone”
Hearing that BFT were close to home I decided to do a late run on Thursday afternoon with my son to take a look. Threw the heavier gear in the skiff and cleared the harbor entrance at 5pm.

Looked around for awhile but didn’t see anything so we called it an evening.

The next day my wife wanted to take her sister and kids to look for dolphin but they needed to take a nap before heading out. So I threw the bass gear in the boat and took my son out to fish for bass down by San Clemente pier for an hour.

Made a few casts and looked out west to see birds building up with foamers below and not a boat on it yet. We reeled our lines in and jammed the throttle.

We roll up to see 20-60+ pound tuna blowing up on bait.

All we had was our bass gear so I sling my heaviest outfit (Seeker BCBW 709-7 with a Penn Slammer 4500 spinning reel w/20lb).

Took a few casts with a blue and chrome mega bait and hooked one. It started ripping line and I knew we were going to be in for a long battle with a 20lb set up.

My son who is eight, got behind the wheel and followed the fish for me when needed. He also placed a call to my wife to let them know we were going to be late picking them up at the dock because there were tuna around.

Got the fish to color and it took off again. Brought it back up, told my son to grab the gaff. On its final death circle, my son quickly passed the gaff and was able to get a clean head shot on it. It took about 1.5hrs to bring in but was well worth the battle. I was extremely impressed with the rod and reel, just wish I had heavier line on it or my tuna gear.

As I pulled it over the side, I quickly realized I didn’t have my kill bag or ice so I spiked and bled it, and shoe-horned it into the bait tank.

Took the long 10 minute boat ride back to the harbor to meet the family who had the kill bag full of ice. Threw the fish on ice and went out to find some dolphin for the little ones. I did manage a few more casts with the family on the boat since the BFT were still up and only a few miles off the point.

It was an amazing day on the water and an incredible experience to have with my son. I was so stoked that he did such a great job at listening, driving the boat, and helping with the gaff. It was truly a team effort to bring our first BFT on the skiff.

7F64034C-CDBA-43A8-82BB-64998ADAB726.jpeg

BA27B452-70EB-40F2-A7B8-A1CFF408C30B.jpeg

97314D5D-EE27-4CDA-985A-91F4F22A9B62.jpeg

3CF8E7CF-1C43-49C5-A707-ED473A8BC3C2.jpeg

00797797-716D-4DF5-99D0-8410B6979033.jpeg

B58BE48A-1870-4610-B0BF-FF8723BE7920.jpeg

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
Way to GO!
On the bass rod even.
Kid did good. You got him started right. Next he will want his own BFT.

Upvote 0

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Hearing that BFT were close to home I decided to do a late run on Thursday afternoon with my son to take a look. Threw the heavier gear in the skiff and cleared the harbor entrance at 5pm.

Looked around for awhile but didn’t see anything so we called it an evening.

The next day my wife wanted to take her sister and kids to look for dolphin but they needed to take a nap before heading out. So I threw the bass gear in the boat and took my son out to fish for bass down by San Clemente pier for an hour.

Made a few casts and looked out west to see birds building up with foamers below and not a boat on it yet. We reeled our lines in and jammed the throttle.

We roll up to see 20-60+ pound tuna blowing up on bait.

All we had was our bass gear so I sling my heaviest outfit (Seeker BCBW 709-7 with a Penn Slammer 4500 spinning reel w/20lb).

Took a few casts with a blue and chrome mega bait and hooked one. It started ripping line and I knew we were going to be in for a long battle with a 20lb set up.

My son who is eight, got behind the wheel and followed the fish for me when needed. He also placed a call to my wife to let them know we were going to be late picking them up at the dock because there were tuna around.

Got the fish to color and it took off again. Brought it back up, told my son to grab the gaff. On its final death circle, my son quickly passed the gaff and was able to get a clean head shot on it. It took about 1.5hrs to bring in but was well worth the battle. I was extremely impressed with the rod and reel, just wish I had heavier line on it or my tuna gear.

As I pulled it over the side, I quickly realized I didn’t have my kill bag or ice so I spiked and bled it, and shoe-horned it into the bait tank.

Took the long 10 minute boat ride back to the harbor to meet the family who had the kill bag full of ice. Threw the fish on ice and went out to find some dolphin for the little ones. I did manage a few more casts with the family on the boat since the BFT were still up and only a few miles off the point.

It was an amazing day on the water and an incredible experience to have with my son. I was so stoked that he did such a great job at listening, driving the boat, and helping with the gaff. It was truly a team effort to bring our first BFT on the skiff.

View attachment 1298008

View attachment 1298009

View attachment 1298011

View attachment 1298012

View attachment 1298013

View attachment 1298022
    Wow..

Upvote 0

JoshuaD

Surfing or fishing somewhere
    Nov 30, 2007
    Surfing or Fishing somewhere
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Livingston 155 “Sushi Zone”
    Good Job Josh,
    I Surfed Dohney this morning. Where did you park your Trailer?
    That parking lot was a mess.
    Found spots on Thursday and Friday in the lot. When we launched on Saturday I had to park up on Golden Lantern. The parking at DP launch ramp is a joke. It’s so tight and very limited space.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    What an incredible memory for you and your son. Congratulations. So awesome on so many levels. Reminds me of the stories from the 1920s when there were albacore just off the kelp line.

Crazy.

Upvote 0