yeep740

Jan 19, 2017
Tualatin Oregon
Name
Brandon
Boat
Hewescraft 22' Searunner
Hello,

Didn't want to hijack the other thread so thought I would start my own. I know I am going to get a lot of different answers but I like opinions!

Trying to start my arsenal for LR fishing trips. I plan on doing a 5 day this year, and next year an 8 day and possible a shorter or longer trip. I'd love to get into some cows, but just depends on what trip I end up going on.

First off I am from Oregon, and fish Albies up here. I have all the standard albie gear, and was hoping some of it would work for YT, Mahi Mahi, etc. For example my heaviest set ups are: trevala 30-80 tvc-66m, tvs-66mh terez tcc-80m-sr 30-65, and a custom seeker rod, I am not sure the specs but I'd guess in the 30-60 lb class? Reel wise I have avet MX's, a torium 20, a Tranx 400, Saltist 30 2-speeds, Saragosa 5000, Sustain 4000, Penn Confilct II 5000. Most of these reels have 50lb- 65lb test braid.

I am in the process of getting a 100 lb set up and just picked up a used Mak 20, and trying to decide on a UC Viper or UC Centaur for a rail rod.

Based on these facts, where in my arsenal am I lacking a setup?

After that, what should be in my tackle bag? What lb of flouro, what terminal tackle should I have, what types and sizes of jigs, etc...

I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseam, but thought I had a couple specific questions. If someone knows of a good thread to point me to I am down to read anything! I can't watch any more youtube videos of these LR trips! Its driving me nuts!!!

Thanks for any guidance!

Brandon

flickfish

Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
I went on my first LR last summer and I went ahead and bought a bunch rigs to complete a basic arsenal. It was an 8 day on the RP. I believe you'll want the Viper with that Mak 20. Here's what I ended up being armed with.

30# - Daiwa Proteus 76MHF FTH15LD2 40# Jerry Brown white
40# - UC Tilefish FTH25NLD2 65# PowerPro SuperSlick8
50# - UC Tilefish FTH40NLD2 65# PowerPro SuperSlick8
60# - UC Predator 80 FTH40NLD2 65# PowerPro SuperSlick8
80# - UC RCX76 Centaur MAK 16II SEa 80# Seaguar Threadlock
100# - UC RCX76 Viper MAK 20II SEa 100# Izorline White

For the most part, it was completely sufficient. However, it would have been nice to have a couple of 30#/40# backups. I got bird nested in a couple of hot bites that took me out for a while. Picking up a backup and deal with the problem later would have been nice.

With regards to terminal tackle, I bought a bunch of hooks across the size spectrum, circle and J. Bought some iron in the basic colors (blue/white, scrambled egg, red crab). For wahoo, I got a couple of bombs, a couple of YoZuri Bonitos (orange and purple). With regards to fluorocarbon, I bought across the size spectrum as well. There was a deal at Fred Hall for 3 for 2 on spools of YoZuri fluorocarbon. One thing I wish I had was a bunch of Shimano Coltsniper Jigs, absolutely deadly on the slide on the YFT (thanks Anglewood!).

Reactions: RichG

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
for a 5 day trip a few yoyo jigs with a good 50 pound rod and reel, 30, 40, 50 pound bait rods, some hooks, and some colt sniper or flat falls

pretty much offshore and YT fishing on anything less than a 6 day to the Lupe

8 day you will need a 80 or 100 pound rod, you can always use loaner gear or like said build a 7'6" Viper

not very likely to see any cows on those trips unless its a bluefin cow. which the viper will work well for.

Longer trips 10 day and above are a completely different animal

moist of your albacore gear will suffice for a 5 day
25, 30, 40, 50 fluoro

you can always get heavier at the landing if you need it

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Every year the Summer/Fall trips are a little different, so you can never predict exactly what you'll need. My first Summer 8-day trip was in 2010, and I have taken a trip almost every year since. As always, I try to base my arsenal on how I expect to fish.

WHAT I "KNOW" I'LL NEED:

- 40lb Bait (x2)
- 50lb Bait
- 50lb Iron

In point of fact, I have been on plenty of trips where I never needed or used 50lb line for bait, but I'm not going without one. Just because.

WHAT I HAVE FOUND USEFUL:

- 30lb Bait (typically configured for Wahoo)
- 80-100lb Dropper Loop
- 100lb Troller

You can always use the boat's trolling gear. It's often a wise choice. I happen to have a nice trolling outfit, so I bring it. I have been on trips that didn't ever call for a dropper loop, but most of them do. Can be a good way to catch bigger yellowtail and other fun critters.

IF YOU BRING IT, YOU MIGHT WELL USE IT:

- 60lb Bait
- 40-50lb Surface Iron
- 40-50lb Popping (spinning)

The 60lb rig is a bit of an orphan. There's not much you can catch on 60lbs that you can't catch on 50lbs. Still, if you find yourself surrounded by big tuna...

Surface Iron and Popping are fun things to try, especially in an aggressive bite.

Bottom line, all you really need are the first 4 listed above, and you can save space, weight, and some headaches (money too!) if you just start there. Whatever else you add should be based on how you plan to fish, what's been working in the days leading up to your trip, etc.

FULL DISCLOSURE:

If you're going on a Guadalupe trip, ignore this post. That is a very different list, and I am not the right person to ask.

ASIDE:I imagine some would say I am not the right person to ask anyway...and they may have a point!

But if you are going on a typical 5-8 Day San Diego LR Summer/Fall trip, this will get you pointed in the right direction.

Good luck!

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Brandon, all the above is good info. Your budget will dependent on how much you can afford to spend. (Try to avoid cheep knock offs, the break more often.) If iyour resources are unlimited you can bring the whole tackle shop. The Mak 20 is a good reel for Lupe. I suggest you. Have 100 braid, and flurocarbon top shot, 80 and 100. It you are cow fishing then you will use the 100 flurocarbon. You can get wind on from BHP tackle (Basil).

Make sure who ever puts the braid, puts it on tight. You should be able to bet 600 yards of 100 braid on a Mak 20. The boat crew can do this if you don’t have access to some one. You could send the reel to BHP and the can do it.

As to terminal tackle, go to the boat web sites, check a few. The have a great list to start with.

On both the 5 and 8 day, your go to outfits will be 40 pound. 30 sometime and 50 for jigs. If you have a trolling outfit it can double as a dropper loop.

If you go on a reel sponsored trip, they have a lot of loaner gear to try. A lot of sponsors bring good swag, including hooks and flurocarbon.

If you have the time and bucks, I’d go to the Long Beach Fred Hall show. All the manufactures are there and the retailers will have good deals. Just bring a good bag to carry stuff and good walking shoes and $$. Usually the Independents is there and you can check it out.

We all have the brands of line, braid, flurocarbon, hook, etc. we like. I’ve left this generic so as not to start a debate.

Also suggest you get one of Jeff Burroughs book. Check the thread on books. Jeff’s on BD and you can ask him.

Try to ask more specific question, it will make it easier to weed out specifics.

P.S. plan to have fun. SD LR fishing is addictive.

Rich

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
This used to be a really easy question but now with the Lupe and jumbo bluefin in the mix who the hell knows?

Jim gave you really good advice. If you don’t have it consider renting it to see if this kind of fishing is for you before dropping a lot of money on equipment.

Reactions: Lake

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
25lb bait (MX's)
40lb bait (torium 20) (Saltist 30 2-speeds)
50lb bait/yoyo/wahoo jig/bomb
60lb bait/yoyo/wahoo jig/bomb
80-100lb kite/bait/flatfall/dropper loop

(stuff you said you have)

Would be the bare minimum for me. Throw in an assortment of hooks, weights, fluoro, possibly wire and jigs. Maybe even get this at the landing before leaving. You will pay a small premium on pricing but will likely end up getting less stuff as you will have a better idea what is needed or not needed. Maybe even avoid wahoo gear all together.

flickfish

Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
With regards to going to Fred Hall, that was suggested a lot when I made a similar post a while back. I honestly didn't think the deals were that great and you came away with a lot of junk you don't need. A lot of the stuff on Amazon/Ebay will be cheaper and just waiting to get to the landing the day before to get exactly what you need will save you way more money. Furthermore, anything you don't have, the boat will at a fair price and your fellow anglers will more than likely be generous enough to let you borrow stuff, just replace what you lose when you get back to SD.

Only go to Fred Hall if you want to enjoy the experience of checking out new toys, spending money you didn't plan on and hanging out with like minded folks. Do not go with the expectation of saving money, especially if you have to travel from far to get there. I'm going again this year, but this time without the expectation that I'll save a bunch of money.

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
With regards to going to Fred Hall, that was suggested a lot when I made a similar post a while back. I honestly didn't think the deals were that great and you came away with a lot of junk you don't need. A lot of the stuff on Amazon/Ebay will be cheaper and just waiting to get to the landing the day before to get exactly what you need will save you way more money. Furthermore, anything you don't have, the boat will at a fair price and your fellow anglers will more than likely be generous enough to let you borrow stuff, just replace what you lose when you get back to SD.

Only go to Fred Hall if you want to enjoy the experience of checking out new toys, spending money you didn't plan on and hanging out with like minded folks. Do not go with the expectation of saving money, especially if you have to travel from far to get there. I'm going again this year, but this time without the expectation that I'll save a bunch of money.
Nic, there are deals to be had, you just need to find them. A lot of buy two and get one free, especially flurocarbon and hook. You can get a good price on rods and reel as well. It is a great place to find more toys. That my 2 cents. I go every year.

flickfish

Dec 8, 2015
San Francisco
Name
Nic
Boat
Sea Wolf
Nic, there are deals to be had, you just need to find them. A lot of buy two and get one free, especially flurocarbon and hook. You can get a good price on rods and reel as well. It is a great place to find more toys. That my 2 cents. I go every year.
I don't disagree and I spend a lot of time nailing them down. But when you consider a $150 dollar flight, $300 dollar hotel stay, $40 dollar Uber from the airport, dinners, drinks etc.. Your savings get eroded pretty quickly.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Brandon, the Shimano numbers are tough for those of us who don’t have them or use them. Let me suggest you call Fisherman’s Landing Tackle Shop, after the Fred Hall shows are over and done. Ask to talk to Rick or Doug and give him your rod numbers. They speak Shimano, are familiar with the models and will steer you in the right direction.

Once you select your tip and book it, specifics will be more easy to come up with for you. For example, fishing on 8 day trips in June is different than in October.

Nov 29, 2005
Oregon
Name
Kurt
Boat
24' North River Seahawk hardtop "Ohana Time"
Are you driving or flying down? This could determine how many outfits you bring. For our 8 day trip I usually bring 8-10 rigs from 30-80#, having multiple 40, 50 & 60.

Yellowtail Dan

Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
I don't disagree and I spend a lot of time nailing them down. But when you consider a $150 dollar flight, $300 dollar hotel stay, $40 dollar Uber from the airport, dinners, drinks etc.. Your savings get eroded pretty quickly.
For us out of Townes you nailed it. I bring my son and we hit the show on Friday and Disneyland all day Saturday. Not cheaper but it makes a little more of the trip

Reactions: flickfish

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
On my 5-day trip late July of last year we found a school of small bluefin tuna (12-20) a few hours north of Cedros Island. This was light line small hook fishing so don't leave your light gear at home.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Here is the list we give to all of the people headed out on our trips. refined over the years with input for a variety of LR Captains. As previously noted, the list for Guadalupe Island trips is different, and I will add it in the next post.

1. 25-30 POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ15LD2, PENN Fathom FTH15LD2, PENN Fathom FTH15

Rod- Conventional 7 to 8-feet, rated for 15-40 pound mono lines; ex. PENN CARBWII3080C70

Applications- Albacore, dorado, wahoo live bait, school size bluefin and yellowfin tuna live bait

2. 40-POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ25NLD2, PENN Fathom FTH30NLD2

Rod- Conventional 7 to 8-feet, rated for 20-50 pound mono lines, ex. PENN CARBWII50130C70

Applications- All around live bait use for tuna under 100 pounds

3. 50-POUND JIGGING COMBO

Reel- PENN U.S. Senator 113N, PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ40NLD2, PENN Fathom FTH40NLD2

Rod- Conventional 7 to 8-feet, rated for 30-60 pound mono lines, ex. PENN CARBWII80200C70

Applications- Yo-Yo jigging for yellowtail and tuna, casting wahoo bombs/jigs

4. 50-60 POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ40NLD2, PENN International 2-speed 12VISX

Rod- Conventional 7 to 7.5-feet, rated for 30-80 pound lines

Applications- Larger grade tuna under 150 pounds with live bait, medium-duty dropper-looping

5. 80-100 POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN International 2-speed 16VISX, or 20VISX

Rod- Conventional 5.5 to 7 feet, rated for 50-130 pound lines

Applications- Larger-grade tuna to 150 pounds-plus, heavy-duty dropper looping

Reactions: Jim Schmitt

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Rod & reel recommendations for Guadalupe Island-specific trips. Again created with input from a variety of LR Captains.

GUADALUPE ISLAND ROD & REEL COMBO RECOMMENDATIONS

1. 40-POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ30LD2, PENN Fathom FT30LD2 [80 pound braid backing]

Rod- Conventional 7 to 8-feet, rated for 30-60 pound mono lines

Applications- Line shy smaller tuna, catching bait

2. 50-60 POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN Torque TRQ40NLD2, PENN Fathom FTH40NLD2 [80-pound braid backing]

Rod- Conventional 7 to 7.5-feet, rated for 30-80 pound mono lines

Applications- Live bait yellowfin tuna 100-150 pounds

3. 60-POUND JIGGING COMBO

Reel- PENN U.S. Senator 113N, PENN Torque 2-speed TRQ40NLD2, PENN Fathom FTH40NLD2

Rod- Conventional 7-feet, rated for 40-80 pound mono lines

Applications- Yo-Yo jigging for yellowtail and tuna

4. 80-POUND LIVE BAIT COMBO

Reel- PENN International 2-speed 16VISX

Rod- Conventional 7-feet, rated for 50-100 pound lines

Applications- Larger grade tuna to 150 pounds-plus

5. 100-130 POUND DROPPER LOOP COMBO

Reel- PENN International 2-speed 30VISX; 100-plus pound braid and 50-150 feet of 100-130 pound mono

Rod- Conventional 7-feet, rated for 80-150 pound lines

Applications- Heavy-duty dropper looping for yellowtail