chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
You should enter the BD pumpkin carving contest! Beautiful boat.
Fit tank and block in with cleats at the stringers, and use deck stringers to secure the top of the tank.Always allow lots of air space around the aluminum tank.
hi I decided too follow up and took you're question to the guys building my boat. He explained too me the different ways of installing a aluminum tank. Simply his answer too my boat was that if it goes into a completely glassed in and finished box where there is no water intrusion the optimum way is too foam it. No chance of movement or shifting. He said it's good for the life of my boat. Thanks for you're question as Jeff was very willing to explain too me the different options there are. I absolutely love talking and digging into the ins and outs of these boats. It's been my lifelong dream too have one of these boats and it's happening!!! Cheers!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
hi I decided too follow up and took you're question to the guys building my boat. He explained too me the different ways of installing a aluminum tank. Simply his answer too my boat was that if it goes into a completely glassed in and finished box where there is no water intrusion the optimum way is too foam it. No chance of movement or shifting. He said it's good for the life of my boat. Thanks for you're question as Jeff was very willing to explain too me the different options there are. I absolutely love talking and digging into the ins and outs of these boats. It's been my lifelong dream too have one of these boats and it's happening!!! Cheers!!

View attachment 633742

View attachment 633743
Here's a shot of transom extension and the inside of deck boxes. All of it is glassed an seamed before gas tank went in.

Upvote 0

scwafish

Obsessed with fish
Jun 19, 2009
Nor Cal
www.gwkc.com
Name
Sean
Boat
Radoncraft 18
Foamed and glassed is still done by many top tier builders. Foamed and not glassed is the method that is commonly criticized as the foam can get saturated and cause corrosion. Mine was the latter. It lasted 25+ years before it needed replacement. Very few things last 25 years on a boat! And. It wasn't replaced due to corrosion. The baffles had broken loose from pounding.

Reactions: marlyn and Canyon
Upvote 0

BoogieDown

Adapt, Migrate, or Die
Jun 17, 2012
Santa Barbara County
Name
Chris
Boat
19' Radon "Agua Dulce"
Chatt, was the transom extension all part of your original plan? or did you find that the original transom had deteriorated once you had the deck off?

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
Chatt, was the transom extension all part of your original plan? or did you find that the original transom had deteriorated once you had the deck off?
It was not in the plan. This boat was in pristine shape as it had been in a barn for over 30 yrs no rot whatsoever. Deck was just starting too get soft as the ply was delaminating from stringers otherwise it was perfect. I just decided that I wanted an outboard instead of the setup it had. I talked too Jeff and Sylvester and wallah it happened. I'm so happy I did it now as you can see the space it created and overall feeling of the boat,just feels right. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
May 8, 2012
Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
Name
chatt
Boat
Radon 21
Here's another one in a barn it's an 18 radon, the glassworks paint are perfect. The boat has been sitting like this for 30 yrs or so too. I tried to get him too sell it but he's going to will it to his son. He took me out in the boat I bought when I was 18yrs. Old and now it's mine. Crazy or what?who would of thunk these jewels up here in these barn. I thought Cowboys only road horsies!!!

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Here's another one in a barn it's an 18 radon, the glassworks paint are perfect. The boat has been sitting like this for 30 yrs or so too. I tried to get him too sell it but he's going to will it to his son. He took me out in the boat I bought when I was 18yrs. Old and now it's mine. Crazy or what?who would of thunk these jewels up here in these barn. I thought Cowboys only road horsies!!!

Just like when you see some guy buys a 57 corvette that's been sitting for decades in a garage/barn somewhere....they're out there...just hidden.

Yours is a gem and turned out so well.

Upvote 0

Loboinventura

Jun 17, 2009
Santa Barbara
Name
Wayne Mills
Boat
26 Wilson

View attachment 633742

View attachment 633743
That's how Radon does them all glassed in and foamed. That's how I did mine too.

Upvote 0

Loboinventura

Jun 17, 2009
Santa Barbara
Name
Wayne Mills
Boat
26 Wilson
Wayne,
Maybe thats how he use to do them. He sure did not do mine that way. Just Sayin

You have a newer Radon and he did not do it that way. OK news to me not what Ive been told and seen. Any way the tanks are put in comes down to Boat management and maintenance, Don't drill through area to create way for water to enter. If you need to prepare and use proper bedding and check If deck cracks repair etc. In your case if you can flush with fresh water and dry do so. My 26 Wilson we did this way with foam in 1996 and it's still working in SB .
Hell be fine we will all check back in lets say 20 years from now and see how it worked out.

Reactions: uenosan
Upvote 0

BrianS

Boatswain's Mate
Mar 23, 2014
NorCal
Name
Brian
Boat
"Dinosaur" Stringari PH
Very nice build, it looks like Jeff Hull's shop is doing some nice work.

Upvote 0

errock_22

It wont happen if you don’t go
Apr 6, 2008
Ventura / SB
Name
Eric B.
Boat
F/V El Tiburon - 25’ Custom Anderson
Looks fantastic!! Beautiful ride, can't wait to to see it on the water.

Congrats!

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Very cool! I have one suggestion that you might like. They do this on the newer Robalos. A flip hatch that attaches to the back of the splash well. Once the motor is trimmed down, you flip it up and it covers the well, making a casting platform but is out of the way when not in use and allows you to trim the motor up.

Upvote 0