Bananas were on board.

goosenoose

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2010
Stevensville,mt
Buddies daughter brought bananas on board today and on our way home from the tuna grounds out of westport we hit a submerged log. Ugh...15 miles out. It sounds like it stripped a gear in the lower.

Where is the best place to buy a new lower for a mercruiser alpha gen 2? I'm desperate. We are here till Saturday.

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Even though you are wrongly laying blame on buddies daughter and her innocent fruit I will cut you a break. Try Stern drive engineering.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
The first place I would go in the morning is to Englund Marine here in Westport and ask for Paul.

They may not carry it but he more than likely knows who does and you may be able to have it overnighted to their shop if it's not to far away.

It sounds like you know how to change it yourself so pulling it and driving it yourself to a shop somewhere in the Puget Sound area may be what needs to be done to get you back on the water.

Good luck with your ordeal and just ask if you need more info.

WD

Reactions: goosenoose

goosenoose

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2010
Stevensville,mt
The first place I would go in the morning is to Englund Marine here in Westport and ask for Paul.

They may not carry it but he more than likely knows who does and you may be able to have it overnighted to their shop if it's not to far away.

It sounds like you know how to change it yourself so pulling it and driving it yourself to a shop somewhere in the Puget Sound area may be what needs to be done to get you back on the water.

Good luck with your ordeal and just ask if you need more info.

WD
Will do Thanks

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
A few hours away but I would bet Renton marine or all seasons marine of sumner and Renton respectively would have one.

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
A few hours away but I would bet Renton marine or all seasons marine of sumner and Renton respectively would have one.
Good ideas here.

Pull the old one and take it with you to be 100% sure you get the right one and turn in the core if there is one and your back on the water by Thursday afternoon if you can find someone with one on the shelf.

Could be much worse.

WD

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Sei would be most economical but probable would require scuttling your trip. Good luck on finding a replacement. I hope you are able to get back on the water soon.

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
Look up marine repair in Aberdeen. You might get lucky and one of them will have one in stock with the right gear ratio. Try crowley marine in Aberdeen, they are close.

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
Fuck logs. I hit one a few trips ago also and it scares the shit out of you. Luckily i had no damage. I wish you the best but have no info on a lead.

If you need tools or stuff, im only an hour away in olympia and you can use whatever you need.

goosenoose

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2010
Stevensville,mt
Fuck logs. I hit one a few trips ago also and it scares the shit out of you. Luckily i had no damage. I wish you the best but have no info on a lead.

If you need tools or stuff, im only an hour away in olympia and you can use whatever you need.
Thanks for your generosity. I will keep you in mind. If you are ever in western montana and need help look me up.

Corey G

Boat ho extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2010
Tacoma, Wa USA
Name
Corey Guild
Boat
Gravy
Sorry to hear about your boat but did the bananas effect the tuna bite? How’d you do out there on the grounds?

SalishFish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 14, 2013
Anacortes - Dewey
Name
Doug
Boat
22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
That’s why god made insurance....still is a drag. We have had a three new-motor year :-(. RIP Suzuki DF20 with 20 hours - stolen; Suzuki 250 with 800 hrs - overpropped premature death and Yanmar 4JH3-HTE developed an appetite for swallowing valves) so we know that sucky feeling

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
Apr 1, 2011
Ferndale
Name
Eric
Boat
Parker 2520 XL
Buddies daughter brought bananas on board today and on our way home from the tuna grounds out of westport we hit a submerged log. Ugh...15 miles out. It sounds like it stripped a gear in the lower.

Where is the best place to buy a new lower for a mercruiser alpha gen 2? I'm desperate. We are here till Saturday.
Do you know what gear ratio you have? Or what size engine? I have an alpha one gen 2 outdrive from my 24’ trophy. It had a 5.0 Mercruiser and I swapped out to a 5.7 and changed the outdrive at that time. I am up north of Bellingham though and don’t know anyone heading that way.

goosenoose

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2010
Stevensville,mt
Sorry to hear about your boat but did the bananas effect the tuna bite? How’d you do out there on the grounds?
We had a great time. Ended with 11. Tough time converting to bait. Bite died around noon. Troll fish were hitting everything. 46.2 125.01 is where we ended up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corey G

goosenoose

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 26, 2010
Stevensville,mt
Do you know what gear ratio you have? Or what size engine? I have an alpha one gen 2 outdrive from my 24’ trophy. It had a 5.0 Mercruiser and I swapped out to a 5.7 and changed the outdrive at that time. I am up north of Bellingham though and don’t know anyone heading that way.
It's a 1.50 ratio

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
we Have crew headed that way on Thursday and Friday. Let us know if we can help. We’re up north not to far from Bellingham

Reactions: Odin7

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
Tanglewild Marine in Olympia is another potential.

Reactions: easydoesit86

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
There’s always Tacoma marine repair if you can’t find something local.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I’ll be coming through Tacoma Friday, headed for WP if you need anything delivered Friday night.

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
I saw a few logs out there running to and from the tuna grounds last week. Mostly submerged, running 30mph on autopilot, spotted one feet away, swerved RIGHT at the last second. Everyone be heads up out there!
I saw maybe 3 that day.