PENN

desertbonito

Jul 15, 2009
Redlands, CA
Name
Allen
Boat
Triumph 170CC
I bought an inshore boat for a reason--safer in light to moderate slop, and to learn with. It's my first boat. A bass boat didn't seem like the best idea for me, and the Triumph 170 CC has kept me out of trouble for the last six years. I am also rather cautious about conditions, mindful of my limited experience.

In the process of moving to San Diego as I write this, my wife scored a teaching job in the south bay--so I'll be getting MUCH saltier more often in the near future. Yes, I'm jazzed.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
I bought an inshore boat for a reason--safer in light to moderate slop, and to learn with. It's my first boat. A bass boat didn't seem like the best idea for me, and the Triumph 170 CC has kept me out of trouble for the last six years. I am also rather cautious about conditions, mindful of my limited experience.

In the process of moving to San Diego as I write this, my wife scored a teaching job in the south bay--so I'll be getting MUCH saltier more often in the near future. Yes, I'm jazzed.

That's awesome Allen!!! We'll be looking for ya'.

Hey, maybe you can track down Jonathan and get your old ID back :D

Upvote 0

dploc

Jul 14, 2007
dp
Name
chris
Boat
Amberjack
I don't see what the big deal about bringing lake boats to ocean and ocean boats to lakes. Shit I took my 60' Viking to lake havasu last week to Steamboat cove and everybody looked at me like I was some dumb piece if shit!!!! Until I loaded the boat with TONS tuna in G strings Sounds like this guys story huh? Don't worry about the jealous haters !!!!

Reactions: ed king and matta57
Upvote 0

critical

Almost A Member
May 30, 2012
Dana
Name
Stuart
Boat
Grady
I don't see what the big deal about bringing lake boats to ocean and ocean boats to lakes. Shit I took my 60' Viking to lake havasu last week to Steamboat cove and everybody looked at me like I was some dumb piece if shit!!!! Until I loaded the boat with TONS tuna in G strings Sounds like this guys story huh? Don't worry about the jealous haters !!!!

I don't think it's an issue of haters being haters. The (expected) backlash is generally from people concerned about the welfare of others and themselves while on the ocean. No one wants to pluck a body living or otherwise outta the water because of a sunken, capsized, swamped vessel. However, besides the constant awareness of how fucked you'd be if you broke down (a common feeling among boaters), at no time did I feel unsafe out there. Vulnerable, absolutely, but also hyper aware of the conditions immediately around and at distance from the boat. During the week I kept a vigilant eye on the weather and the conditions, as forecasted, played out exactly how they did two weeks before on the 3/4 day. In hindsight that was the absolute limit of seas I'd feel comfortable fishing in on that boat and while on the boat the agreement was that at any sign of an increase in wind or the hint of a whitecap and we'd be gone. That wasn't the most life threatening experience I've ever had on that boat nor was it the roughest water we've been in but in no way would suggest doing that to anyone without a seaworthy boat. Phone that take that advice is up to them and I'll probably do that trip again

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
In a bass boat ta boot.
My neighbor has a bass boat...he paid as much as I did for my 22 foot pilothouse....I just don't get it.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I think it's awesome that you took a bass boat out there. I don't think I would do it, but I wish I was there to see it! I get guys telling me I'm nuts for running out in a 17' boat, but it's designed for the ocean and shit conditions. Fuck it, you made it, got fish, had fun. Dumber shit has happened, and will continue to happen. :beerbang:

Upvote 0

FishNfOOl711

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2006
Venice
Name
Jay
Boat
Working on em
Was next to you on a paddy at one time in the morning. It was cool to watch you guys leave and watch the bass boat do gnarly wheelies off of swells.
Good fishing for us both it looks like, we had a good pick on yellows and yft all day,

Upvote 0

Norcal Nomad

Almost A Member
Aug 20, 2006
Southern California
Name
Pete
Boat
20 ft trophy
Although I wouldn't recommend going offshore in a bassboat, I've seen some not so smart moves from peeps with so called " offshore" boats.

The bottom line is, experience and judgement, counts way more than the equipment.

Congrats on your successful trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Saw you guys headed out. I was tied up at the guess dock waiting for my buddy. . I'm guessing you stayed with in 10 miles, because it got a bit sloppy further out. Did you see those lightning bolts?

You did much better then we did . Nice job.

Edit...never mmind. Just saw pic of your electronics. I was about 20 minutes ahead of you on nearly the same course. i drove over the fish. LOL

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Yay, you survived! Still fucking stupid. Getting airborne in a bass boat running your spastic ass to and from the grounds is plain ridiculous. The last thing I want to do is spend my afternoon fishing over anxious fate tempting fools out of the drink. You rolled the dice and it paid off this time, but keep it up and the house will get its due. Why people think this shit is some sort of game is beyond me. Ignorance is bliss evidently. Having spent way too many years sport and commercial fishing I have seen the worst outcomes on the nicest of days.

Be smart and know your limitations. Posting this just motivated a handful of bathtub owners to charge it. Its one thing to risk your own life, which is what you were doing in that scud you think is an ocean worthy boat, but to blast it online is even more irresponsible.

Thanks for making our water ways a more dangerous place.

I think your being a bit dramatic. I will agree that taking a bass boat to speeds of 45 mph in open ocean is not the wisest.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Bass boat + Lake Pacifica = Inevitable tragedy. Don't mess with mother nature...Nice fish, good job, now keep your hands where I can see them and slowly back away from the Bass Boat...............

Reactions: karlk1125
    Upvote 0

critical

Almost A Member
    May 30, 2012
    Dana
    Name
    Stuart
    Boat
    Grady
    Hopefully this thread gained us some street cred as some hardcore fishin mfkers. If anyone needs some crew I would be more than happy to contribute to a boat ride in a more seaworthy vessel. Remember me when I post one of those beggar posts in trip planning

Upvote 0

karlk1125

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 20, 2008
    Bodega Bay
    Name
    Karl Kobler
    Boat
    2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
    Great job! But yeah, thats pretty ballsy. I'm a norcal guy so idk how the weather shifts down there but if it gets windy quick you could be in trouble with that low bow. One thing I've learned is you have to respect the fact that the ocean can kill you quicker than you know. But good job and be careful!

Upvote 0

bottomdweller

Sep 28, 2004
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    210 CC, Triumph, Honey Pie
    That painted trailer is going to be toast if you soak it just a few times (did the same in the late 90's with my aluminum bass boat fishing in kelp near Dana Point). My trailer was gone after a year. Gotta pick your days, but you did better than most people out there!

Upvote 0

halfdayhank

RECYCLED BEER CAN'S
    Oct 18, 2006
    silverado canyon ca.
    Name
    HENRY
    Boat
    bayrunner cc 19 "TIN CAN"
    :frehya2::frehya2:
    Yay, you survived! Still fucking stupid. Getting airborne in a bass boat running your spastic ass to and from the grounds is plain ridiculous. The last thing I want to do is spend my afternoon fishing over anxious fate tempting fools out of the drink. You rolled the dice and it paid off this time, but keep it up and the house will get its due. Why people think this shit is some sort of game is beyond me. Ignorance is bliss evidently. Having spent way too many years sport and commercial fishing I have seen the worst outcomes on the nicest of days.

Be smart and know your limitations. Posting this just motivated a handful of bathtub owners to charge it. Its one thing to risk your own life, which is what you were doing in that scud you think is an ocean worthy boat, but to blast it online is even more irresponsible.

Thanks for making our water ways a more dangerous place.
    pull up your skirt good god:supergay:

Upvote 0