The American Tackle Company

ready2roll

Jan 3, 2016
Florida
Name
chris
Boat
Native
I understand price is subjective and everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's a 7'6" high mod MHX blank with carbon fiber split grips, crb xrs aluminum reel seat, Fuji alconite k guides 16h stripping guide with three guide reduction with the rest being #5 micros a total of 12 guides plus the tiptop. Both wraps are closed wrap and the front wrap is 11" long. What price would one expect to see on a rod like this. Assuming no imperfections unless you studied the hell out of it for a fleck of dust or something minor like that. I'm a new builder and I don't know anyone personally that can help me get an idea of what I'm building is worth. I won't be offended one way or the other. I don't care if someone said a dollar. I would just like a ballpark because I can't really determine a way to price it. Friends I usually just charge 100 on top of materials no matter what wrap I do to them but for others I have no clue and no idea where to start. Any help is appreciated. Few pics of rod, wrap, and simple guide wraps with 2 single gold thread inlays.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I'd say price the materials, then a set price on top, then pay hourly.

For example:

$200 materials
$50 building fee
$20x4hrs=$80

$330.

I also don't sell my builds so don't take it from me haha.

Upvote 0

ready2roll

Jan 3, 2016
Florida
Name
chris
Boat
Native
I very much appreciate the input. It seems like we aren't too far apart. If I were to have built it specific for a "customer" I would have priced at $325. I usually do materials plus $100 for friends. I include fee and time in that so this would have been 160+100 260 would have likely just made it 250. If I built for a "customer" I would have priced it at 325. Since it falls somewhere between being that I didn't build it for anyone specifically but it is built pretty standard as per equipment people use locally I priced it at $275. Since it's not built exactly to/for the person but is set up (off my sustain) for what they would likely be putting on it (sustain or stradic 2500-3000) and to me (measurements wise) being average adult male it will likely be perfect as per function they just didn't have any input as to the thread work and colors. That way I think it would be a really good deal for someone that likes the colors at the price of 275.

Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
Sep 20, 2010
C.M. CA
Name
Dondo
Boat
Cory's Rig
Ask a price.... if it doesn't sell, lower the price. Your time is worthless until you can make a profit.
Expect to take a loss until you establish clientele, but cover the materials.
Biz 101. Glws.
Nice looking build btw.

Upvote 0