Baker Lake 8-10-11 NO LOVE

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
Work has been pretty slow this week so I took three co-works to Baker Lake to get in all this action I hear about. Started fishing at dawn at the north end of the lake with the rest of the fleet. Saw a few fish being landed early that morning but nothing to write home about. It slowed down quite a bit till about 11:00 am when the bite seemed to be on. For us it seemed like it was one of the those days where only 10% of the fishermen caught the majority of the sockeye. Unfortunately we were NOT that 10% ! Anyways we pretty much tried everything speed, depth, leader length, scents, prawns, smiley blades, red hooks, pinks mini squid, the kitchen sink ! All we managed to land was a small Kokenee about 10" we did have a couple pop offs and strikes but nothing to show for it. We had fun but pretty disappointing. But it never rained on us and it sure beat working.

Glad Wrap

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
That is one trip I would like to make, I hear it can be a blast. Sucks no fish but like you said.....better than working.

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
Damn, sorry to hear that Matt. On the bright side, that is one of the most BEAUTIFUL areas to fish in the state. I feel blessed when I go there just to BE there.

You're right, sure as shit beats a day of the ole' daily grind.

nbdog

Jan 21, 2011
North Bend, WA
Name
Bruce Nelson
Bummer....I was going to try to get another trip up there. A week ago three of us went up and one rod got three and the other two didn't get touched. Fished two rods at 35 feet and the other at 20.

blackmouther

10%er during Salmon Season
Jun 29, 2009
Mount Vernon Washington
Name
Fowlmotuher
Boat
Shopping
I heard the other day that between 17 and 20 thousand had been trucked up to the lake and now the 200 or so a day are going from the catch pen to the upper skagit indians. The fishery is far from over but it's as good as it's going to be.

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
4' more baylitter than JohnVH
I heard the same, with the recreational effort its cleaned alot of the fish out as fast as they get stocked and the rest are going to be tribal allotment.
I hope "going" to the upper skagit indians involves them catching them, not just dumping the transfer tank at someones single-wide.

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
I hope "going" to the upper skagit indians involves them catching them, not just dumping the transfer tank at someones single-wide.
:rofl:

:shithappens:

Anyway, I got up there with my girl last weekend, camped @ Shannon creek Sat. nite and fished Sunday. Only got one, but it was a fun trip none the less. Talked with a guy who had five, turns out we weren't in quite the right place, but never having fished that before I wasn't sure where the right place was until later.

The one fish we did get was on a #1 chrome dodger with a double red 2/0 hook rig, with a little pink and white hootchie. Tipped with a piece of cured prawn and dick nite kokanee scent. Pretty much the kitchen sink, but it worked.