Sea Esta

Captain
Jul 14, 2005
Laguna Beach.......... San Quintin B.C.N
Name
Roy
Boat
MAKO Home Port San Quintin Baja
I crossed the boarder last Tuesday at 12:00 pm. The first tollbooth had two federal cop cars positioned on each side of the booths, with 2 cops per car. The second tollbooth had about 10 federal cars and at least 20 cops lined up all across the north side of the booths funneling everyone into a single lane in each direction. They were searching North and Southbound traffic. Every car with mexi plates that I saw was being searched, all occupants were out of their cars and cops were looking in the trunks and in the cars reaching under dashboards, seats etc. I was waved on through.

As I was dropping down below Salisupuedes I came around a corner and passed a fed cop car with 2 cops cruising real slow maybe 40 mph. that was the only sign of a patrol I saw between the toll booths. The last tollbooth was the same as the first with 2 fed cop cars on each side of the booths.

I drove straight through Ensenada without stopping, did not notice any increase in police or military. The military checkpoint south of Maneadero looked the same as always
South of Santo Tomas after climbing the big grade out of the valley, I passed a group of three machine gun mounted hummers parked on the side of the road. The soldiers were standing looking at a map on the hood of the hummer. 2 miles down the road, the same thing. I passed two more groups of three military hummers about 2 miles apart, all looking at maps. All of these groups were at dirt roads that head up East into the mountains ? closer to Colenet I passed a northbound military convoy with truckloads of solders and support vehicles. I arrived in San Quintin around 4:30 pm.

Left San Quintin Friday 5:30 am. Had fog all the way past Colenett well up into the mountains. Was waved through the Military checkpoint and slid through Ensenada without incident. I took the Tecate road and hit a military checkpoint at about 20 miles and was waved through. Arrived at the Tecate boarder at 10:30 am, and had a 5 min wait.

This is just a personal observation, by no means do I Encourage travel into Baja, nor am I implying that it's safe.

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
No noticable "Extra" forces. Did see 1 slow mover PD vehicle in La Mision

They have manned the post at the top of the hill by the Playas again. But they were busy scratching their butts when we went by. Some Hummers with .50 cals.

I am heading back down next Friday. God save my soul.

brian_g

Chango Blanco
Oct 28, 2004
San Diego
Name
Brian Groff
Boat
20' Blackman "Little Provider"
Don't worry about what I was doing in Maneadero, that wasn't th point of the post. It was used a s a reference point to how far I traveled. I have friends in Maneadero and Chupultapec.
Wasn't worried about your welfare....
It was more of a statement. Good for you and your friends in Maneadero :ashamed:

It's good to hear that some people are seeing more of a military/non-municipal presence along the tolls.

Hope it has the desired results. :gaygroup:

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I'm suprised to see so many members still going down.

I've been going for 20 years and I'm done until stuff chills out down there.

sea scum

Scumbags
Sep 7, 2003
Gutter
Visit site
Name
Jim and Josh
Boat
24' Boston Whaler Outrage
Went down early Saturday, and as stated, place was empty. Military there, but not doing anything. Cops in Rosirito were driving around with sirens blaring, but didn't seem to be doing much (south end). Cop was planted at the intersection by the house, so there is a presence there. Probably trying to catch Britney in the act or making sure the Bada Bing customers didn't get run over. Not much happening on the drive back Sunday morning. Took longer talking to the Sentri guard about the doggie than anything else. Kind of like the lack of traffic, too bad about the reason for it though.

duanediego

fish hard.
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Duane
Boat
Pinnacle - Parker 2520XLD
Just got back from Asuncion this morning.
just outta curiousity, how was asuncion?

i was supposed to be down there for 5 days next week, but things came up + the obvious baja risk factor momentarily detoured our plans.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I'm suprised to see so many members still going down.
I've been going for 20 years and I'm done until stuff chills out down there.
I'm not surprised that true baja lovers are still doing the vacations into Baja. I beleive the exodus is by the occasional weekend traveler that go to the touristy spots.

As for fishermen that like fishing baja - they are still going.
Surfers - still going.
Off road crazy mofo's - still tearing it up.

Only a hand full of vocal members and others a shouting from the roof tops they are not going. That's cool and the opinion is totally valid and recognized.
I feel for the most part, everyone that likes to drive south of San Quintin and know what Baja has to offer will still be driving south - just not Tijuana between 11pm-5am.

Not to say you can always hope that I will travel safe and return in one piece as I do for all that travel Mex1 and ride the seas in search of fish - it's all about the fish.

When stuff cools out - I'll let ya' know.

bueno suerte.

rjski1

Feb 25, 2006
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Bob Kowalski
Boat
23" Bayrunner Baja CC
We just got back from a weekend wedding at Las Rocas. Nice place if youspend the night, otherwise too much cervesa for the drive. No trouble, did see the calvary at the top of the hill prior to the toll road.

One reason Puerto Nuevo is empty is the prices have gone through the roof. Last year the feast for 3 was $30.00 or so. This year the feast for 11 was over $200.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I'm not surprised that true baja lovers are still doing the vacations into Baja. I beleive the exodus is by the occasional weekend traveler that go to the touristy spots.

Surfers - still going.

Only a hand full of vocal members and others a shouting from the roof tops they are not going. That's cool and the opinion is totally valid and recognized.
I feel for the most part, everyone that likes to drive south of San Quintin and know what Baja has to offer will still be driving south - just not Tijuana between 11pm-5am.

Not to say you can always hope that I will travel safe and return in one piece as I do for all that travel Mex1 and ride the seas in search of fish - it's all about the fish.

bueno suerte.

I agree with you 100%...

I will continue to go to Baja as I have done every year since 1974....if $hit happens $hit happens....:dogpiss:

SERGIO

Loser...
Apr 19, 2007
North Hills
Name
SERGIO
Boat
nada...
I was at Puerto Nuevo on Saturday and did see some military on the way down.

Puerto Nuevo was a ghost town.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator

Surfers - still going.

bueno suerte.
I hear you Art, but I'm definately in the latter group.

I was going to keep on going until the last time I came back from SQ.

My wife was so worried I couldn't really relax and felt bad.

She asked me to only go to PV.

Hmmmm.

ok. Just for you honey.

:D

pfish

Sep 20, 2004
leucadia
Name
Pfish
Boat
23 Parker
Asuncion is on the Pacific side half way down. Highly recommended. Old time Baja. None of this pansy asse stuff. Check out bajabnb.com - Home Juan is the best guide I have ever been with. Hands down! We dove for three days and did not see squat. No YT's or Halibut and trust me when I tell you, we looked hard.

duanediego

fish hard.
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Duane
Boat
Pinnacle - Parker 2520XLD
Asuncion is on the Pacific side half way down. Highly recommended. Old time Baja. None of this pansy asse stuff. Check out bajabnb.com - Home Juan is the best guide I have ever been with. Hands down! We dove for three days and did not see squat. No YT's or Halibut and trust me when I tell you, we looked hard.
hey pfish, thanks for the come back on that...

rescheduling to head down there in the late spring.. hopefully things on the road chillout and the fishing heats up.

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I hear you Art, but I'm definately in the latter group.

I was going to keep on going until the last time I came back from SQ.

My wife was so worried I couldn't really relax and felt bad.

She asked me to only go to PV.

Hmmmm.

ok. Just for you honey.

:D
Shit yeah. My wife won't go, and that was before the shit happened. No shitting in the dirt for her. She did that growing up in the PI. Wife trips will be PV, Cabo and Venice... someday!