Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    "Charlie don't surf....."
    -- Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse Now.

Good luck, stay safe.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    None
    Anybody interested in linking up for some baja surf trips, get a little convoy going. I usually roll solo but that's probably not the best move.
    How far down are you going? I'm getting older now but had fun down in Abreojos on a surf trip many years ago. Was surprised to see this one at a fickle spot on surfline during a massive winter swell years ago...ahh the memories!
    sard_herions_8524.jpg

Upvote 0

FV-shotgun

Apr 24, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Buglione
    Boat Name
    17' Outrage
    I have only gone down as far as punta Baja but I’m down to go as further. I Mostly have 3-4 day blocks off at a clip.

Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    None
    I have only gone down as far as punta Baja but I’m down to go as further. I Mostly have 3-4 day blocks off at a clip.
    Right on...that is right before Mex 1 heads east through the desert...never surfed there but hear it is a fun point break.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    How far down are you going? I'm getting older now but had fun down in Abreojos on a surf trip many years ago. Was surprised to see this one at a fickle spot on surfline during a massive winter swell years ago...ahh the memories!
    View attachment 1440308
    Love Abreojos, Like you I’m getting older now haven’t been in five years and prefer heading to the boat rather than paddle into the crowded madness here at home these days, my buddy has one of the houses on the point at Quatros Casas, kids are 30 and 29 now they started going when they were 7 n 8, pic is what was left of shipwrecks on a Thanksgiving weekend our last trip with five families…The memories indeed🤙

image.jpg

mex6.png

mex5.jpg

mex3.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    None
    Love Abreojos, Like you I’m getting older now haven’t been in five years and prefer heading to the boat rather than paddle into the crowded madness here at home these days, my buddy has one of the houses on the point at Quatros Casas, kids are 30 and 29 now they started going when they were 7 n 8, pic is what was left of shipwrecks on a Thanksgiving weekend our last trip with five families…The memories indeed🤙

View attachment 1440326

View attachment 1440327

View attachment 1440328

View attachment 1440329
    Sheesh...I haven't been to Abreojos in close to 15 years! Recall the panga fleet in town. Surffishing was fun with yellowfin croaker on every cast. Recall some houses on the point (the main break) where we mostly surfed. 3 poles was the next break down...surfed there 2. Razors the next one down (by the radio tower). A graveyard a short walk away from all of the breaks. About a 14 hour drive down there, but good times. Will have to check it out again someday!

Reactions: FV-shotgun
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several

View attachment 1440326

View attachment 1440327

View attachment 1440328

View attachment 1440329
    THAT ROCKS....good to know the local Army guys LOL NICE waves and fish!!!

Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Ah, yes! It’s getting crowded now but if you put in the days you can still find some nuggets. And a world record Spotfin croaker for dinner. 29” on Pismo clam. Isla Del Carmen back in the mid-80s.
    Thinking back to the good ol' days in Santa Rosalita, tons of abalone - ripe for the pickin' - in shoulder deep water and all the bugz you wanted.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    None
    Ah, yes! It’s getting crowded now but if you put in the days you can still find some nuggets. And a world record Spotfin croaker for dinner. 29” on Pismo clam. Isla Del Carmen back in the mid-80s.
    View attachment 1441131
    View attachment 1441132
    View attachment 1441134

View attachment 1441135

View attachment 1441133
    Great pics...fun cover up...bugs, and SLUG spotfin...very nice!

Great
    View attachment 1441131
    View attachment 1441132
    View attachment 1441134
    View attachment 1441135

View attachment 1441133
    Very nice pics with SLUG spotfin!

Upvote 0

FV-shotgun

Apr 24, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Buglione
    Boat Name
    17' Outrage
    let’s get a BD trip going. Surf, surf fishing, panga charter, bonfires and beers.

I also heard there is some good duck hunting down there along the coast. Anyone else hear about that? Like an outfitter who puts you on some ducks?

Upvote 0

McQuade Outdoors

McQuade Outdoors
    Nov 24, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    john mcquade
    Boat Name
    Paddle Board
    i havent seen any hunting but spent 2 months surfing/fishing abreojos and south on both sides. Amazing fishing (in some spots), some nice people, some not. There are loads of coastline where you can surf the outside and find a calm bay for beach fishing inside with halibut, croaker etc.

Upvote 0
    Feb 28, 2016
    sb
    Name
    Jose Caballero
    Boat Name
    "Reveille" 17' arima sea chaser
    I had an awesome mixed trip a couple New Years ago, spent about ten days near sta rosalillita.

-waves were medium to small, but not crowded.
    -diving was stellar, with non stop huge calicos and big sheepshead and tons of small colorful reef fish plus some halibut stacks around the rocks.
    -shore fishing, using clam on small hooks, was the absolute best I've ever had anywhere. non-stop Corbina with some large croakers mixed in (mostly released but we ate WELL).
    -bonfires and bro time were excellent, as always.

one important note: if I'm not mistaken, a Mexican fishing license does not allow foreigners to take lobster; and small fishing cooperatives on the west coast of Baja are now VERY protective of their bugs cuz it's becoming a really solid fishery and local management has paid off. I've seen spotters following and watching us from the cliffs while we dove, and was warned by locals not to take lobsters, so I never did... but I've heard some horror stories about hazing and worse for gringos who didn't know and plucked bugs like we all used to in the good ol days. then again, those same fishermen will usually sell them for a VERY fair price, so you may want to support the local economy instead of grabbing your own.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Spear or rod

• Aug 31, 2008
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tommy T
    Boat Name
    Anything that floats
    Looking for an excuse to get outta Dodge for a couple of weeks late Jan-Feb ‘23. Can meet/caravan from the border if anyone is heading down Pac side. Been awhile but would like to tag along. Send a PM if you’re cooking something up. Later. Tommy

Upvote 0

FV-shotgun

Apr 24, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Buglione
    Boat Name
    17' Outrage
    I had an awesome mixed trip a couple New Years ago, spent about ten days near sta rosalillita.

-diving was stellar, with non stop huge calicos and big sheepshead and tons of small colorful reef fish plus some halibut stacks around the rocks.
    -shore fishing, using clam on small hooks, was the absolute best I've ever had anywhere. non-stop Corbina with some large croakers mixed in (mostly released but we ate WELL).

one important note: if I'm not mistaken, a Mexican fishing license does not allow foreigners to take lobster; and small fishing cooperatives on the west coast of Baja are now VERY protective of their bugs cuz it's becoming a really solid fishery and local management has paid off. I've seen spotters following and watching us from the cliffs while we dove, and was warned by locals not to take lobsters, so I never did... but I've heard some horror stories about hazing and worse for gringos who didn't know and plucked bugs like we all used to in the good ol days. then again, those same fishermen will usually sell them for a VERY fair price, so you may want to support the local economy instead of grabbing your own.
    BD outdoors Brotrip??

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
    Valley Center, CA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A

Yeah, unless it has changed you cannot take lobster.

John

Upvote 0