steelfish

the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..
Oct 16, 2008
Calexico, Ca / BAJA,Mexico
Name
Alex
Boat
Boatless
guys, can you please post you current line on your Baja Special Reel or US senator and why you have it like that.

I still have doubts in which configuration will be better for my case fishing in Baja (sea of cortez side, gonzaga bay, BOLA, San Felipe, etc).

I currently have it with 300yds 80# spider braid and 100yds 60# izorline mono
it will be used for trolling, yoyo and drop loop bottom fishing and if I found the birds ( feeding freenzy ) I want to be able to cast the heavy jigs and irons with it.

options:
1. keep it with 300yds 80# brad and 100yds #60 mono
2. 400yds of 80# and use short 30-50yds leaders of 60# mono
3. 500yds of braid and short leaders of 5-10yds 60# mono/flouro

my other reels are a fathom 40 star all filled with 80# for casting and a gold trini 16 all filled with 65# braid for jigging
if you know a bit of this side of Baja most fishes are on the rocky bottoms, the islands bottoms (gonzaga and BOLA Bay of Los Angeles) are full of heavy structures and rocks), and few big fishes live there on the rocks as the Big Cabrillas, few species of groupers and Baquetas (gulf Coney grouper)

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
I used to be in the same boat as you, my ultimate remedy was to buy 4 of them and have different configurations for each!

The shortest top shot I fish on any of mine is 40 yards. If you use it for trolling I'd go with 100 yards and my preference is 50# top shot of mono.

steelfish

the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..
Oct 16, 2008
Calexico, Ca / BAJA,Mexico
Name
Alex
Boat
Boatless
I used to be in the same boat as you, my ultimate remedy was to buy 4 of them and have different configurations for each!

I like this reel That much, That if could get another 3 of them I would do it in a heartbeat, but I would need another car and house cuz my wife will kick me off

On a serious note I might get me a US senator on 113h standar width later

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
Keep it as is.

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
guys, can you please post you current line on your Baja Special Reel or US senator and why you have it like that.

I still have doubts in which configuration will be better for my case fishing in Baja (sea of cortez side, gonzaga bay, BOLA, San Felipe, etc).

I currently have it with 300yds 80# spider braid and 100yds 60# izorline mono
it will be used for trolling, yoyo and drop loop bottom fishing and if I found the birds ( feeding freenzy ) I want to be able to cast the heavy jigs and irons with it.

options:
1. keep it with 300yds 80# brad and 100yds #60 mono
2. 400yds of 80# and use short 30-50yds leaders of 60# mono
3. 500yds of braid and short leaders of 5-10yds 60# mono/flouro

my other reels are a fathom 40 star all filled with 80# for casting and a gold trini 16 all filled with 65# braid for jigging
if you know a bit of this side of Baja most fishes are on the rocky bottoms, the islands bottoms (gonzaga and BOLA Bay of Los Angeles) are full of heavy structures and rocks), and few big fishes live there on the rocks as the Big Cabrillas, few species of groupers and Baquetas (gulf Coney grouper)
80lb solid JB spectra w 75 Yd topshot 50Lb Izorline XXX mono. I use mine exclusively for Yo Yo. It's the reel perfect for that application. 50Lb mono is strong enough to haul most Yellow Tail out of the rocks and still be castable. Love that reel.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Use it as is..