Well-Known "Member"
May 20, 2009
La Paz
Name
Pedro
Boat
BEST ONES IN LA PAZ
BAJA PIRATES OF LA PAZ <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>​
It was a great weekend for the fishermen of BAJA PIRATES. Clear and blue water are making our fishing execellent. A lot of tuna, dorado and billfish were caught thanks to warm days and light winds. Tuna fishing was great two miles southwest of Espíritu Santo Island with the bait of choice being live sardines. Dorado were plentifull in the same area.
<O:p></O:p>
Outside the island, big black and blue marlin were bitting. There are a lot of stories about big monsters being lost and many reels spooled out. However, there have been many marlín over the 400-500 pound mark landed by the local fisherman.
<O:p></O:p>Soren Johnson and his wife fished aboard the Wild Cat caught limits of tuna and dorado everyday.They fished Espiritu Santo Island.

mrs_johnson.jpg

johnson_family.jpg

Dennis O’Hern and Todd Myers scored good on tuna everyday.They said this was their best fishing trip.They fished on one of the Triumph 210 with Captain Ivan ouside the area called el Morro in Espiritu Santo Island.

o_hern_guys.jpg

dennis_o_Hern.jpg

Brad Baker and Jason Buckhart from San Diego fished with us for their first time.They did great everyday catching tuna and dorados, but their prize was 120 pound sailfish.It was their very first sailfish.They fished with Captain Luis on one of the Triumph 210s.

baker_buckhart.jpg

baker_sailfish.jpg

Shown here are some of the BAJA PIRATES STAFF, (Luis, Pico, Juan Carlos, Jesus and Pedro) with a nice 260 pounds Blue Marlin caught outside the Island.

<O:p>baja_pirates_staff.jpg</O:p>
<O:p>baja_pirates_staff2.jpg</O:p>

tunasurfer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 8, 2008
san quintin baja mexico
Name
alex rekrut
Boat
17' monarch
Hey bros..... Whatever happened to catch and release marlin???? Being old and told over the years of fishing,,,that keeping a marlin is BAD CARMA..... unless your really hungry,or need to pay off the local marina captain....
oldman

Aug 4, 2004
California
Name
JB
Boat
Matson Inc.
Hey bros..... Whatever happened to catch and release marlin???? Being old and told over the years of fishing,,,that keeping a marlin is BAD CARMA..... unless your really hungry,or need to pay off the local marina captain....
oldman
Was thinking the same thing but thought "maybe that blue can up dead".......until I saw the gaff hole in his shoulder.

Ricofly

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 6, 2009
Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Name
Eric Lundahl
Boat
30 foot Monterey
This Blue was tailwrapped and couldn't be revived. Ever tried to pull 260lbs into a boat without use of a gaff? It took 2 gaffs and 4 guys to pull this fish in. On another note this was one of 4 Marlin they hooked on Saturday. I can assure you this fish was eaten. Tight lines Amigos, Rico

jackhole

Apr 29, 2010
HB
Name
jack
Boat
30 foot skipjack “Paddywagon”
I understand if the thing dies then its a no brainer, but marlin are killed way to often down there. I have a house down there and fish all the time. Catch and release of marlin by the local fisherman is seldom practiced. I have tried numerous times to explain conservation to the guides, its seems to fall on deaf ears. Panga captains seem to talk fishermen into keeping billfish stating they want the meat to feed their families. They then turn around and sell the thing. No Bueno!

gthurner

Gary T
Oct 9, 2010
Pleasanton CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Stryker
Yeah, no one likes to see a dead Marlin hanging off a hook for a picture, surely not anymore. Why not add a Tarpon picture too? Maybe he was a gone'er, but taking a picture was probably not a good call. And what's up with the Sail hanging next to the Blue, was he tail wrapped too?

Ricofly

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 6, 2009
Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Name
Eric Lundahl
Boat
30 foot Monterey
Actually now days no matter what you post someone will take offense. Would you have the same feeling if this had been a Swordfish? As long as you are anti Marlin killing what about the Bisbee tournaments? Are you aware they kill every Marlin caught which is over 200lbs? And I doubt it is "Locals" entering the Bisbee. Do you want to tell me how many Marlin are killed at each Bisbee tournament? Your probably right, we should only show photos of what is politically correct. Babies, flowers, and of course those beautiful Sea of Cortez sunsets! Then again we would probably offend some poor moon worshipper. My apologies in advance! Rico

jackhole

Apr 29, 2010
HB
Name
jack
Boat
Well lets see, you have a few tourneys a few times a year or you kill billfish everyday. And killing sailfish, table fare on sailfish is bad. Hey, continue killing the billfish down there, you are only slitting your own throat financially. I have had a place down there and fish quite a bit for the last ten years. I can tell you that the fishing was much better 7-10 years ago for many species. After talking to the local fisherman, they agree but blame it on the commercial fleet. Call it what you will, the taking of billfish in southern baja is just going to kill the fishing industry. With the economy in the tank and very few people fishing in La Paz, throw in some bad days of fishing and people won't return. Good luck down there! CATCH AND RELEASE BROTHERS!

Ricofly

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 6, 2009
Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Name
Eric Lundahl
Boat
30 foot Monterey
I believe most of the charter businesses agree and practice catch and release. I find very few organized fishing charter groups who willfully kill Marlin these days, although it is always the customers decision. The sailfish was caught by a customer and it was the customers decision to keep it, and I agree sailfish is terrible eating. On the other hand Blue Marlin is excellent table fare. My first trip to Baja was in 1965, and I have been there almost every year since then. I too agree that the fishing has gotten worse every year. But then again I cannot think of a single place in the world where the saltwater fishing has gotten better as a whole over the last 7 to 10 years regardless of pressure. Yes the Mexican tourist economy is in the tank, but this has more to do with bad press, swine flu, perceived american murdering drug cartels and the economy as a whole. The Mexicans are making an effort to try and control things a little better these days. This is most noticable as there is now enforced daily limits on all species, and a Mexican fishing license has become mandatory. In over 40 years fishing in the Sea of Cortez I have had my license checked only once, and it was this year! Please don't get me wrong. I agree, practice, and teach catch and release whenever possible, but to blame the Marlin fishing decline on the "locals" No Bueno. Most "locals" I know don't have the gas money or the boats needed to chase Marlin. Only "Locals" who target and chase Marlin on a daily basis have Americano clients who want to catch a Marlin as this is a very expensive fish to chase, as I am sure you are aware. I agree Catch and Release the billfish whenever possible! I only wish people would apply the same logic to all billfish types as swordfish are hurting much more than any Marlin or sailfish species..Come on down we could use the business and I can assure you we will not kill anything unless you want us to. PS there has not been a single murder in La Paz in the past 5 years. Wish I could say that about the city where I live here in the US. Tight lines and hope to see you on our docks! Rico

jackhole

Apr 29, 2010
HB
Name
jack
Boat
Cool, lets do our part. I put a ton of pressure on the fleet in Las Arenas. Most capt down there are my friends and giv'em shit everytime I see a billfish hit the beach. I agree Blue marlin are great to eat, but I refuse to kill'em unless they are gut hooked or die on the line. Keep up the good fight!

Reel Obsession

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 26, 2007
Battle Ground WA
Name
Tim
Boat
26' Seaswirl Striper
It would be nice to see more catch and release practiced down that way for all the reasons already mentioned. As for who is to blame, someone has to step up and say "we don't kill marlin here!". When we fish Quepos Costa Rica, they just don't allow it. Pretty clear upfront, they don't want you to keep billfish. In CSL, it's a very common practice still to see (just) one striper on the deck after a day's fishing. Not sure why really, because the guests, for the most part, can't do much with a whole billfish. I dorado or two, sierra, a tuna, sure, that all makes sense, but why do so many keep "just one" marlin? I understand that the one on question here came up tail wrapped, so bringing it in makes sense. But as someone else mentioned already, why gloat over it with a photo session? Just makes the next guy feel like "maybe just one" so they can take a picture is ok. :confused:

Captain Howdy

Sep 5, 2006
Southern Cal
Name
Mike
Boat
Tonto
We're all better at practicing Catch and Release than we were. I've been fishing the Baja for over 30 years and the East Cape for over 20 years. On my first trip to Cabo in 1982 striped marlin were stacked up at the dock like cordwood. What used to be the exception has turned into the rule - Catch, Photo and Release. Every boat I have fished with for the last 10 years has strongly encouraged release. Year by year it becomes more the norm, to where now a hung billfish is an uncommon site - and is certainly subject to scrutiny.

It's not just attitude - with more and more anglers and boats using circle hooks, the survival rate has gone way up. No gut hooks. Using 40 pound tackle for baitfish instead of 20 also helps, as the fight doesn't last as long and the fish have a better chance at survival after a 10 minute fight instead of half an hour.

Reality comes down to virtually every Blue Marlin over 500 pounds dies in the fight or gets off. Nobody is releasing 500 pound Blues at boatside and reviving the fish. The second reality is that everyone of these fish over 500 pounds caught is line wrapped in the leader (450#), usually around the bill.

A Blue Marlin fight is usually a fight to the death. (Actually, a Blue Marlin fight usually ends up with the fish spitting the hook or breaking the line.)

As for Sailfish - There really is no excuse for killing them. They aren't that big - They aren't that tough - and they're not good on the table. They are simply beautiful creatures we should go out of our way to free. A Sailfish fight shouldn't last more than 5 minutes - even on 20.

Striped Marlin on the East Cape run from 70# babies up to about 180# being a big one. Those on the larger end of things can put up a fuss - especially for a novice angler. If you spend an hour on one of these fish - don't expect it to survive. You have an absolute right, if not a duty, to drag one to the dock if it dies in the fight. You'll have more than enough delicious fish to fill your cooler, so release a few of the yellowfin and dorado the next day out and share the rest. (La Cocina!)

(There is a viable debate on the practicality of taking home a cooler full of fish filets. Like my cat - a lot of folks feel the need to drag something dead home to justify their trip. The reality is you won't eat much of it and your neighbors will thank you and then throw it away after you leave. It might stay in the freezer for a couple of months before going to the landfill, but most of it will end up in the trash. Yea, I know - you eat it all and your wife and kids "love it." Bullshit. Your wife hates the smell and the mess and your kids run to Burger King or Pizza Hut anytime you fix "your catch".)

No one is entitled to hang "just one" or even their "first billfish". Those days are long gone. With the advent of digital photography and salt-water proof cameras there is no reason to kill a fish and drag it to the dock to take pictures. You "proof" should come in the form of some nice action shots and photos of the release.

If you just have to have a hung marlin photo, wait for someone to drag in a dead one and go down to the dock and have your picture taken with it. It will probably be a lot larger than the one you caught and no one at home will be the wiser.

All that being said - the Blue Marlin are delicious. Should one die in the fight don't miss dinner.

PeteK

Jan 29, 2006
Redwood City, CA
Name
Peter Koleckar
Boat
21' Trophy Hard Top
They release bill fish all the time on their boats. The first time I fished with them was 6 years ago. The striped marlin bite was wide open. 3 of us hooked and landed 12 marlin in 3 days. We each kept 1. We released the rest. I ate mine but wasn't impressed and won't keep another. This year I hooked, landed pictured and released a big sail. Our captain was Juan Carlos. (One of the guys in the picture). He told us about that fish and the fact he was still eating it. He smoked his share and said it was great. They do the same in Hawaii. I believe in catch and release, but if you want to eat your fish. I have no problem with it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Attachments

lapazjohn

charter boat owner/operat
Nov 2, 2009
la paz, bcs mex
Name
john
Boat
FAITH 58 custom
What La Paz are you refering to about no murders in the last 5 years? 3 years ago 3 gunned down in the "callejon "on the side of Dorian's or my wifes cousins daughter killed after being kidnapped and her body dumped at Las Garzas and Nayarite? La Paz is not perfect but is no more dangerous than any other city in the world and CERTAINLY less dangerous than many here in the U.S. Mexico, especially the "Baja",ABSOLUTELY does not deserve the press it recieves, there are problems but it is not the wild west with everyone carring weapons and ready to take what you got. I drive it by myself all the time from S.D. to La Paz nonstop and NEVER have had a problem other than by guys in uniform with badges. I love Mexico, in fact will soon be a real deal Mexican myself, VIVA MEXICO!!!!