Name
Daniel wood
Boat
Tutu #1 Tutu #2
IMG-20210925-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20210925-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210925-WA0000.jpg
1975 Sears skiff rebuilt
PANGA Rodriguez ensenada totally worth it....

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Dude..... that looks GREAT! Back in the day SEARS made some good stuff. Although ... it looks like there are some minor modifications... hull wise.... you "started" where others left off. Good for you. Thats 15' I believe. Should be fun. Glad I saw your post!!

So what are you gonna power it with?

Be safe out there.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Mulegino

Jul 25, 2021
    Mulege
    Name
    Daniel wood
    Boat
    Tutu #1 Tutu #2
    IMG-20210816-WA0007.jpg
    it was running on a 20 hp susuki 2 stroke and yes made some hull modification previously had someone stuff done in Bahia Tortuga but ended not liking what they did on it so i took it to Pangas Rodriguez in ensenada and it is straight up no bullshit great work!! the boat is a 14ft

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
    Sears outboard motors wern"t worth a damn but their boats (fiberglass and aluminum) were actually quite good as they were made by professional tradesmen. Built starting back in the 60's and all through the 70"s, most are still in use to day someplace.

Reactions: Mulegino
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Don't know the weight difference and if your stern can handle it ..... but what about a 50hp. back there? Eitherway... the motor maybe worth more than the skiff.... but what fun you'd have.

Mulegino
    Mulegino
    That was the rebuilt i did on it got that Stern nice and hard to hold that 20hp and after was running at 34 mph a little to fast for me..
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Nov 28, 2003
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Don't know the weight difference and if your stern can handle it ..... but what about a 50hp. back there? Eitherway... the motor maybe worth more than the skiff.... but what fun you'd have.
    I was yanking your chain.
    If it was good enough for Ted Williams...

Last edited:
    S
    surf launch
    Ha! Had a Sears 7.5 hp OB mounted on the back of my 12' Sears fiberglass skiff. Loved the boat but the motor was a little piece of shit. Pretty much a Briggs lawn mower engine with a propeller. On the engine cover it said; "Ted Williams Quality".

Always thought ol' Ted could have done a lot better on that one.
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I can't believe how easy and fast it was to have my RODRIGUEZ panga built. Omar Rodriguez is a "straight up, no bullshit" kind of guy. If people only knew how close his shop is...

003.JPG

Mulegino
    Mulegino
    I know i was looking at the 21ft panga that they had in there shop really good looking boat's im in the mix of getting one built in the next year or soo from him after this project with him you realize how convenient and how easy it is too get there and no bullshit...
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Mulegino

Jul 25, 2021
    Mulege
    Name
    Daniel wood
    Boat
    Tutu #1 Tutu #2
    That's is what i heard about the Sears boat's of the 60,70,80 they we're really good skiffs i got this one in costa mesa ca in a back yard had some time there anyways fixed something's on it first hand and put it straight in the water and after some hours on it in mulege and close by areas i realized what a good hull and how good it managed on rough waters soo i decided to improve it by rebuilding the Stern and other stuff on it. After this last improvement at Pangas Rodriguez is ready to go back down south..

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    Excuse that lack of knowledge on boat/skiff design & construction. So did Rod wrap your skiff in & out after you beefed up that stern? And the 20 h.p. was feeling too big after your upgrade, or was the 20 what you put on it after your trials? what was the before & after weights for this project? Are you now trailering it?

Upvote 0

Mulegino

Jul 25, 2021
    Mulege
    Name
    Daniel wood
    Boat
    Tutu #1 Tutu #2
    I tested the boat first with the 20 hp on it at first with out any Stern or hull upgrade after about 15 hours in trials i noticed the Stern had some flex on it sense the boat bis only rated for a (15 hp max) soo i took it too tortuga and rebuild the stern and transom.
    After the rebuilt in Bahia tortuga i took it for some more trials in mulege and the boat was fantastic but it still had flex on it and plus they did a horrible pain job and fiberglass was super rough definitely not any good work soo i looked around and asked around in baja sur and north and finally found Pangas Rodriguez and that is pretty much how i finally got it the panga dialed in.
    The boat has a maximum weight capacity of 650lb after all the stuff we did to it probably dropped 50lb to 600lb and the boat weight in around 300lb easy to move around i can either transport it on my truck roof rack on a jet ski trailer that have either way is a really convenient boat and not even talking about the fuel economy completely outstanding...

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    I tested the boat first with the 20 hp on it at first with out any Stern or hull upgrade after about 15 hours in trials i noticed the Stern had some flex on it sense the boat bis only rated for a (15 hp max) soo i took it too tortuga and rebuild the stern and transom.
    After the rebuilt in Bahia tortuga i took it for some more trials in mulege and the boat was fantastic but it still had flex on it and plus they did a horrible pain job and fiberglass was super rough definitely not any good work soo i looked around and asked around in baja sur and north and finally found Pangas Rodriguez and that is pretty much how i finally got it the panga dialed in.
    The boat has a maximum weight capacity of 650lb after all the stuff we did to it probably dropped 50lb to 600lb and the boat weight in around 300lb easy to move around i can either transport it on my truck roof rack on a jet ski trailer that have either way is a really convenient boat and not even talking about the fuel economy completely outstanding...

Sweet!

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    That looks awesome brother. Put her on the water....and let us know how she works out. Thanks for sharing the journey on this one... I think she'll serve you well Brother. Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
    Aug 28, 2010
    Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    37 Tollycraft
    Mulegino
    Mulegino
    The skiff has a ton of potential and it can take some hard winds and swell's if you get stuck out there!! You can upgrade the skiff on power, transom,stern, weight and a good monkey in the tiller and the boat is a monster in the Cortez
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    You may have the same brand / "shape" of the hull... but after the "rebuild"... those two are not the same boat. But Brother... after some extensive work.... yours might....might look and be of this same caliber. Nice to see what it COULD Be!

Upvote 0