Baja Dreamin' - Gonzaga Bay to Loreto - 6/13 - 6/21 - Who likes fish pics?

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Awesome Trip!

Clarke, Trevor and I have been building a 30' Grady White that we rescued from FL into the ultimate baja rig for the last 18 months. The boat was neglected but solid and we have since done everything under the sun to get it up to snuff. We have completely customized the boat from tower with controls to a Keurig coffee maker to be a perfect 2-4 day boat for fishing up and down Baja. This trip was maiden baja voyage and delivery wrapped into one.

We normally do a group trip from La Bay to Bahia San Fransisquito but the rest of our team wasn't able to make it this year. Since we had a boat to deliver, we went solo. Armed with enough safety equipment to sink most boats and new rig that we just tore down and put back together we were all confident.

Because we'd be on the water for 8 days, we had the boat loaded for bear with drinks, food, tackle and tackle. :)

The 30' Grady is 10'6" wide so trailering down Mex 1 is not an option. After a lot of consultation from friend and BD'ers (thanks guys), we decided we'd have a buddy ride down with us to Gonzaga bay through Mexicali and San Felipe and launch there. Then my buddy would bring the trailer home. The ride down was AWESOME and uneventful. Nice wide roads in great shape. There are some unmarked dips in the road from San Felipe to Gonzaga that caught us off guard but other than that it was a cocktail cruise compared the white knuckle thrill ride of towing a big boat on HWY 1.

The launch at Papa Fernandez was just wide and long enough to accommodate the big boat without a hitch. We quickly put the tower up, loaded gear and dropped in the water.

Our two favorite things to fish for on the trip are surface iron Cabrilla and Marlin. We planned to fish a day or two at the north end of La Guardia but after one full day of pounding epic cabrilla spots for just a couple fish, we realized the 85 degree water had sent them deep. With that in mind we started working south after just one day.

We worked our way down the island chains and that evening found us in San Fransisquito where we have a local friend that supplies us with ice, freshwater and fuel. We also met up with friends Gerry from Bay Park and the Pez Espada crew here.

We would fish here for 4 days and had very good marlin fishing with some solid yellowtail and inshore stuff mixed in. Our best day was 6 striped marlin, one sail and one dorado. Seemed the fish the first couple days were lazy due to a full moon a couple days prior.All fish were tagged and released except one fish we took for our local friends smoker.

From there we had planned to leave the boat in Santa Rosalia and fly home with a private pilot buddy. After talking to the pilot, he said he couldn't use the strip in SR so we suggested going another 80 miles down the road to Loreto.

I was stoked to get to fish Loreto but after 1.5 days of fishing for a striped marlin and a sail we were ready to go. Normally Loreto is on fire this time of year and corroded with billfish and big dorado but not this year. Maybe El Nino? Who knows.

We left the boat in the water in Puerto Escondido and ended up leaving a day early. We'll be back in a month or two to continue the trip south.

Got some good pics and video. Enjoy.

IMG_5597 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5602 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5595 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5616 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5608 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5606 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5665 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5701 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5686 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5716 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5719 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5627-cropped.jpg
IMG_5662 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5721-cropped.jpg
IMG_5839-cropped.jpg
IMG_5803-croppped.jpg
IMG_5842-cropped.jpg
IMG_5772-cropped.jpg
IMG_5807-cropped.jpg
IMG_5806 cropped.JPG
IMG_5863-cropped.jpg
IMG_5897-cropped.jpg
IMG_5902-cropped.jpg
IMG_5846-cropped.jpg
IMG_5909-cropped.jpg
IMG_5848-cropped.jpg
IMG_5944-cropped.jpg
IMG_5914-cropped.jpg
IMG_5948-cropped.jpg
IMG_5932-cropped.jpg
IMG_6004-cropped.jpg
IMG_6001-cropped.jpg
IMG_5976-cropped.jpg
IMG_5999-cropped.jpg
IMG_6005-cropped.jpg
IMG_6010-cropped.jpg
IMG_6003-cropped.jpg
IMG_6022-cropped.jpg
IMG_5584 (Medium).JPG
IMG_5586 (Medium).JPG

Reactions: Carl and VITO
Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Some really great pics, Clarke in the corner well doing the bat-tusey being particularly epic. Hope I get to join you guys once looks amazing! Thanks for the photos.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
    Nov 27, 2003
    Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Wow, that's a great looking boat and a perfect size for the Sea of Cortez. You're going to have a great time using her wherever you decide to finally slip the boat. Nice pictures too...

Upvote 0

thearabswife

BITCH
    Jun 1, 2004
    On the hill above Jesus
    Name
    That Redheaded Bitch
    Boat
    Something Gihad
    The pics are AWESOME!!

Thank you for my 8 days of "singleness" =) and 3 dudes on boat seems a bit.... gay.

Reactions: ZHALVAJE
    Upvote 0
    Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    looks like a great time!!! For Sta. Rosalia fly ins/out the Palo Verde strip is paved and secure.

Upvote 0

captamb1

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 9, 2003
    Vista
    Visit site
    Name
    JIM
    Boat
    25 ft Skipjack Fisherman
    VERY NICE GREAT REPORT LOOK LIKE YOU GUYS HAD THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!!!

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Nice!
    So nice!

Upvote 0

Lorenzo

Mar 15, 2006
    San Quintin
    Name
    Lorenzo
    Boat
    Proline 24 / Bayliner 20
    Absolutely one of those trips of a lifetime. Super boat, your favorite bitches and great fishing. Even with the goat, I assume you had no problems clearing customs at Brown Field!

Upvote 0

Ultimate Catch

One life to live!!
  • Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    cox.net
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Luhrs Tournament series
    Awesome Trip!

Clarke, Trevor and I have been building a 30' Grady White that we rescued from FL into the ultimate baja rig for the last 18 months. The boat was neglected but solid and we have since done everything under the sun to get it up to snuff. We have completely customized the boat from tower with controls to a Keurig coffee maker to be a perfect 2-4 day boat for fishing up and down Baja. This trip was maiden baja voyage and delivery wrapped into one.

We normally do a group trip from La Bay to Bahia San Fransisquito but the rest of our team wasn't able to make it this year. Since we had a boat to deliver, we went solo. Armed with enough safety equipment to sink most boats and new rig that we just tore down and put back together we were all confident.

Because we'd be on the water for 8 days, we had the boat loaded for bear with drinks, food, tackle and tackle. :)

The 30' Grady is 10'6" wide so trailering down Mex 1 is not an option. After a lot of consultation from friend and BD'ers (thanks guys), we decided we'd have a buddy ride down with us to Gonzaga bay through Mexicali and San Felipe and launch there. Then my buddy would bring the trailer home. The ride down was AWESOME and uneventful. Nice wide roads in great shape. There are some unmarked dips in the road from San Felipe to Gonzaga that caught us off guard but other than that it was a cocktail cruise compared the white knuckle thrill ride of towing a big boat on HWY 1.

The launch at Papa Fernandez was just wide and long enough to accommodate the big boat without a hitch. We quickly put the tower up, loaded gear and dropped in the water.

Our two favorite things to fish for on the trip are surface iron Cabrilla and Marlin. We planned to fish a day or two at the north end of La Guardia but after one full day of pounding epic cabrilla spots for just a couple fish, we realized the 85 degree water had sent them deep. With that in mind we started working south after just one day.

We worked our way down the island chains and that evening found us in San Fransisquito where we have a local friend that supplies us with ice, freshwater and fuel. We also met up with friends Gerry from Bay Park and the Pez Espada crew here.

We would fish here for 4 days and had very good marlin fishing with some solid yellowtail and inshore stuff mixed in. Our best day was 6 striped marlin, one sail and one dorado. Seemed the fish the first couple days were lazy due to a full moon a couple days prior.All fish were tagged and released except one fish we took for our local friends smoker.

From there we had planned to leave the boat in Santa Rosalia and fly home with a private pilot buddy. After talking to the pilot, he said he couldn't use the strip in SR so we suggested going another 80 miles down the road to Loreto.

I was stoked to get to fish Loreto but after 1.5 days of fishing for a striped marlin and a sail we were ready to go. Normally Loreto is on fire this time of year and corroded with billfish and big dorado but not this year. Maybe El Nino? Who knows.

We left the boat in the water in Puerto Escondido and ended up leaving a day early. We'll be back in a month or two to continue the trip south.

Got some good pics and video. Enjoy.

View attachment 524656 View attachment 524657 View attachment 524658 View attachment 524659 View attachment 524660 View attachment 524661 View attachment 524662 View attachment 524663 View attachment 524664 View attachment 524666 View attachment 524667 View attachment 524668 View attachment 524665 View attachment 524669 View attachment 524670 View attachment 524671 View attachment 524672 View attachment 524673 View attachment 524674 View attachment 524675 View attachment 524676 View attachment 524678 View attachment 524677 View attachment 524679 View attachment 524680 View attachment 524681 View attachment 524682 View attachment 524683 View attachment 524684 View attachment 524685 View attachment 524686 View attachment 524687 View attachment 524688 View attachment 524689 View attachment 524690 View attachment 524691 View attachment 524692 View attachment 524693 View attachment 524694 View attachment 524695

You are living well, good for you. Hard work pays off!

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Awesome!
    I even dig the boat name. :D

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Some of those Cabrilla spots look very familiar from my Tony Reyes trip.

Looks like a trip of a lifetime. Towing that rig had o be stressful.

Upvote 0

ash

Chief Inspiration Officer
    Aug 28, 2007
    North San Diego County
    Name
    Ash
    Boat
    Still looking
    Pura Vida for sure. Beautiful boat

Upvote 0

Bill Erhardt

Jan 1, 2006
    Loreto, Mexico
    Name
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    Sounds like a lot of fun, although it did taper off by the time you got down to my neighborhood. That's the kind of year that it's been.
    Let me know when you plan to come down in a couple of months and we'll compare notes. My attention will be focused primarily on the other side of the peninsula by that time, but early October has some of the best fishing of the year out of Loreto and few are around to enjoy it.
    http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48466#pid557684

Upvote 0