BAJA...Beware at check points, Bad Experience

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
congrats on the house.....love to see it sometime. Im hitting Cabo for Bisbees
Nicee, amigo! Are you fishing the Bisbee's? Or just laughing at all them idiots blasting by while you and Jaime crush it inshore? Jajaja!
So far the purchase is still on track, fingers crossed I can show it to you sometime! Saludos!

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Cool wise move! Our house is in La Fortuna by Shipwrecks. I will pm you when we are headed up your way it would be cool to meet you and have a cerveza.
It'd be my pleasure. I'll have plenty of cold ones at the ready….
I've got a solid base of knowledge of, and friends in, the area.
Can't wait to add to it! Saludos, amigo! -- Dave

Bajadan62

Apr 1, 2015
Baja Asunción, BCS, Mexico
www.sandiegoreader.com
Name
Daniel Powell
Boat
Kayak
That checkpoint has become an issue with theft and harassment. If anyone has issues, I suggest filing a complaint with the commandante at Guererro Negro or online. More pressure and they will have to address the ratas from the mainland that are now working that stop. Usually, they are fine and courteous at the checkpoints, but I read that the crew there now is out of hand. Glad that going to Asunción doesn't require passing through that one, though I will be doing side trips from there to Mulege, Loreto and points south. Usually, a big dog riding along helps, but I'd get a SEDENA sticker made, along with an 'anti-corruption' one in Spanish with the mex flag on it, and paste 'em to the bumper. Might make them think twice. Get the dog to growl a little and they won't even stop you long enough to chat....

magbayoutfitter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 6, 2007
lopez mateos bcs
www.magbayoutfitters.com
Name
bob
Boat
26 twin vee
posted on 8-18-2018 at 11:44 AM on bajanomad.com

• I'm forwarding this notice by request and hope you all will watch carefully as you are stopped.
    Homeowners and Residents of Punta Chivato,
    I am writing this letter after a very scary situation occurred to Don Arnold and I on our trip driving to Loreto to fish the Finale of the Dorado Tournament series. On August 8 we were stopped and moved to Secondary Inspection at the Federal check station just outside of San Ignacio. During the search before being sent to Secondary checking the soldier said and I quote “You Americans are bad. You bring drugs into our country and hurt our children.” Also said and I quote what Don Arnold told me, “American’s are bad people”. It got worse from there. As they were searching our bags and going through our stuff,, I walked around to the Driver’s side where another Federal officer was standing. I saw him reach into his left cargo pocket, pull out a small packet of about 3” square and put it under my seat. I approached and said what did you just put in my truck. He picked the packet out and said, “you brought Cannabis into our Country”. “That is very bad. We will have to call the police. “ He then tried to hand me the packet. I refused to accept and said you planted that in my truck. The leader of the two came over and further threatened Don and I. We stated that it was not ours we were not transporting any drugs and that Don was a former police officer in Canada and I was a teacher in Idaho. That we were going to a fishing tournament and did not transport drugs nor had either of us ever. I also said I was President of the Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato. They then continued to check our truck and generally try to intimidate us. I took their photos and asked to call my consulate. They then raised weapons and forced me to delete the photos while they watched. They then said we could go but not to bring drugs again.

We left shaken. I called our Attorney Nadia and left a message and had Ann on speed dial to call the consulate if we got stopped and searched again at any of the other check stations. It was very concerning.

The rest of the trip went smoothly. We did have one other unusual thing happen. At the Gonzaga Bay check the Federal check person asked to look in the back and said, Are you guys transporting Marijuana. We said no and drove away.

I am reporting this to our members. Here are my recommendations. Do not leave any search unattended. They may plant something to harass you. Watch there every move as they go through your vehicle and tell your co travelers out loud with everything you see. For some reason the federal check people are mad at Americans. I’m not making any inferences about why. Please be aware and watch closely.

Concerned for our safety,

Mike Bowers
    President Homeowners Association of Punta Chivato

There have also been a couple others from PC that have been treated rudely or have had items missing after this stop so be aware.
Was this a Federal Police check point or a Military check point?
Never have had a problem with any check point and have been driving down
for more that 40 years. I always have a packet with regrestration insurance and
photo copy of my residence permente for mexico and pass port ready to pass
to them if any questions are asked.
Military are much more polite and have a log where they put down license plates.
Federal Police are more independent but you can always put a report in at the
nearest federal police station.
Sorry to hear what happened to you the Federal Police station is in Santa
Rosilia and would report this to them. bob [email protected]