Baitwell Pumps: 120V vs 12V

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
Getting sick of these 'cheap' 12V bait pumps failing.

Contemplating running a saltwater 120V pump instead - I have experience w/ reef tanks so familiar w/ these pumps. Will be running off my inverter 2500W continuous & 4600W peak (I only have a microwave connected to this inverter). Also, inverter has independent battery bank so if microwave isnt being used, battery bank isnt being used - hooked up to ACR for charging purposes.

Yes I will have to keep the engine running otherwise the battery bank for the inverter will drain if the baitwell pump is running (Amp hrs of bank vs pump draw discussion intentionally ommitted here).

Anyone else run a 120V baitwell pump???

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
generally 120v bait pumps are use when at the slip or if you have a generator on bigger boats.... and most set up also have a 12v pump in line with the 120v pump..
what do you think you will accomplish just having a 120v pump...

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
A concern for me is the loss of pressure/flow b/c I've got a long line to travel from pickup to baitwell (15' +).

I've found 120V pumps have higher flow AND minimal flow rate drop.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
Forgot to mention .... reliability of reef pumps, in my experience, are FAR better.

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
A concern for me is the loss of pressure/flow b/c I've got a long line to travel from pickup to baitwell (15' +).

I've found 120V pumps have higher flow AND minimal flow rate drop.
just go up in size on your 12v pump, also put a shut off valve in the line to the pump so you can control the amount of flo...
15 ' to you bait tank should not be a problem, my thru hull inlet for my bait tank is in the sern and my tank is mid ship never had a issue.
good luck

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
just go up in size on your 12v pump, also put a shut off valve in the line to the pump so you can control the amount of flo...
15 ' to you bait tank should not be a problem, my thru hull inlet for my bait tank is in the sern and my tank is mid ship never had a issue.
good luck
What size is your tank and pump if you dont mind me asking?

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
What size is your tank and pump if you dont mind me asking?
my tank is 40 gallon, I have a 1500 gph surflo pump, and a shot off valve ,my flo is adjusted to approx 11/12 minute fill time... never loose bait... I also have for long trips a 33 gal bait bag that hangs off the back piped in with a Y valve, they both run off the same pump and thru hull .

Reactions: ltran0614

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
120V pumps aren't really made for the wet and humid engine compartment. They don't usually last more than about 3 years.

Look into a shurflo Cyclone. I get 5 plus years out of them and they are cheaper than a 120 solution.

oceanjake

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
60' hatteras enclosed bridge
Not sure if this will work in your application as the draw is substantial, but I use a swimming pool pump to easily feed 5 tanks. They are quiet and have a built in sea strainer basket. Additionally, less expensive units can be had for $100 on amazon. I do however run the gen continuously off the dock. On an inverter system I think 12v is probably wiser. As mentioned above, if running a 120v pump you need a 12v in the system as well for overnights in Avalon and similar.

fishboy93

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
no point in 120v pumps without a gen set and even then a 12v backup for fishing quietly or being on the mooring is necessary. Jabsco cyclone or rule cartridge pumps are easy to install and work great.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
+1 on a Jabsco Cyclone.

They do make what they call a high pressure model if you have a long run. but IMO you on't need it with a 15' run unless you have a lot of plumbing restrictions.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
+1 on a Jabsco Cyclone.

They do make what they call a high pressure model if you have a long run. but IMO you on't need it with a 15' run unless you have a lot of plumbing restrictions.
I havent plumbed it yet but that was my concern ... trying to think ahead is all.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
SAN DIEGO
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
my buddies radovcich runs a 120v above ground pool pump, and a rule 12v 3700 utility pump{submersible}. the bait tank is big though ,180 gals. 5kw genset runs the 120v pump , the 12v is the back up. i'd stick with a 12v pump depending on the size of your tank, and make sure it's submersible if it's in a wet area.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Not sure on the electrical math running an inverter, and your tank seems small to run a 120V. That is a pretty big pump you are already using for a 7 min turn over time/fill time, I believe that is a bench mark goal to have clean enough water without too much flow. Someone can chime in here on the fill time/rate.

Typically, the pool pumps or 120 pumps are on large boats with small hot tub style bait tanks. They are also typically living in large, dry engine rooms on a generator boat, for the reason Ali mentioned.

Bait sentry has been good on our 32 GA, think its the 750GPH. It’s one of those things that always needs attention.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
First of all "fill time" is only good for letting you know your system is still working like it did when you first installed it. The faster you can change the water in your tank the better off your bait will be, you have to set your system up so there will be no current, the current is what kills your bait or keeps it from working as good as it could, not the fill time.

Stay with the 12v system, simpler is always better. Just stay away from those cheap plastic pumps and get a good brass, self priming pump. I am not familiar with the cyclone but I run Jabsco, I use a water puppy. you will have no problem with the up hill or distance. Simply look at the motor difference and what pushes the water and that will tell you why.
A Rule 1100 gph or 18 gpm, when we tested it... right out of the pump only pumped 4 gpm. My water puppy 480 gph or 8 gpm we tested it with the hose going to the deck and then stern to bow and it pumped 8 gpm.

I think if you spend a little more for a good quality 12v pump you will get what your looking for with out the problems. Just my opinion.... good luck.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
My boat was born with the largest Rule 12v pumps (3700 as I recall), and although they had adequate flow, they didn't have the pressure to overcome a clog or loss of prime (although since the intake is at least 3' below the waterline, I am not sure how air could ever get introduced). I replaced with a 120v jacuzzi pump, and have never had a problem. The power requirement does necessitate a generator, but unless you have a really large bait tank, a much smaller 120v pump would have a much smaller power requirement that can be handled by the current produced by your alternator.

As I recall, I had 120 volt March pumps on my 250 gallon reef tank, but I think they make smaller versions. Also, my boat uses March pumps to cool the HVAC units. Those pumps have magnetic drive, so no risk of burning it out or of a seal leak destroying the motor. They probably would not do well in a "hot wet" environment, but IMO, your bilge should not be wet or even hot.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
All great info. here guys. Thanks for chiming in.

I think 12V is the way ill go then ... what I'd like to do is get an oversized pump to ensure flow requirements and restrict flow (assuming pump is OK doing so) to control flow rate is what I want it to be.

Too little turnover, bait dies. Too high, bait dies. Damn bait are so fickle! 😂

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach

I think 12V is the way ill go then ... what I'd like to do is get an oversized pump to ensure flow requirements and restrict flow (assuming pump is OK doing so) to control flow rate is what I want it to be.

to much water coming in doesn't kill your bait, it is the current in your tank that will kill your bait. I put as much water in as the over flow can handle without it over flowing BUT there is no current in the tank.

you can use a valve to control the water flow but put it near the tank, after the pump. don't restrict the flow to the pump, do it after the pump

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
SAN DIEGO
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}

shurflo bait sentry... mag driven , easy to service , submersible , low amp draw relatively quiet, and a 3 year warranty.i used to install bait tanks, and this was my go to pump , because they last , i got almost 10 years on mine.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
shurflo bait sentry... mag driven , easy to service , submersible , low amp draw relatively quiet, and a 3 year warranty.i used to install bait tanks, and this was my go to pump , because they last , i got almost 10 years on mine.
Either those or Rule Tournament 1600 w bronze base is what I'm hearing

Reactions: MATTANZA