Saski

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2013
San Ysidro CA
Name
Derek
Boat
none
Since it seems like the yft and dorado are showing up in numbers now (and albacore maybe later) I'm preparing my stuff and I realize I don't really have a true 30# rig. What I do have is a lexa 300 and one of the new okuma sct inshore rods, 8' and rated 20-40# fast. Basically my calico rig.

I have the lexa loaded with 50# braid, was thinking of putting 40# on it once I do head out and tie 30lb flouro leader. This should be fine for fish under 40-50lbs right? Big cons of using a rig like this offshore? I was thinking that it could also work for fishing the slide with swimbaits when and if the albacore shows up.

Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
It will work, but it's not ideal. If you were using it strictly for throwing artificials for schoolie tuna it would be ok, but line capacity might become an issue on a long soak or the slide.

I'd recommend investing in a true 30# setup. this will be your bread and butter setup for most SoCal fishing from tuna, yellows, and even rockfish and island wsb. The saltist, Metaloid, or even the sealine are all decent options at a good price. There should be plenty of used options out there as well.

Reactions: Saski
Upvote 0

Saski

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2013
San Ysidro CA
Name
Derek
Boat
none
Ok, I do have plans to get a good 30# setup, but that probably won't be till next year when since a 50# outfit is my priority, since I have a perfect 20# outfit and a 40# that can fish 30# fine but not ideal. Was just thinking of taking the the bass setup to have that extra #30 rod and not have to switch leaders on my 40# rig constantly.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
It will work fine on any fish under 40lbs. Over that, and you're pushing it. Go fishing!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Since it seems like the yft and dorado are showing up in numbers now (and albacore maybe later) I'm preparing my stuff and I realize I don't really have a true 30# rig. What I do have is a lexa 300 and one of the new okuma sct inshore rods, 8' and rated 20-40# fast. Basically my calico rig.

I have the lexa loaded with 50# braid, was thinking of putting 40# on it once I do head out and tie 30lb flouro leader. This should be fine for fish under 40-50lbs right? Big cons of using a rig like this offshore? I was thinking that it could also work for fishing the slide with swimbaits when and if the albacore shows up.
over the Last Two Years, on the 1 to 2 1/2 day Trips a lot of
guy are using the Lexa 400, for Patty Hopping
and the School Size Tuna, and handled them
with no Problem, but this year I would for Sure
bring Back a up in Case, Mommy and
Daddy show up.

Upvote 0