wieisme

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 21, 2014
San Diego
Name
James
Boat
22' IMP
Just placed an order and looking forward to giving them a toss... Good luck out there everyone

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Yep, Capt Bruce and I were throwing the plug at Calicos this spring on the Fortune this Spring at Clemente. He does know his shit, tried to keep up with him but as usual, out fished me 2X using a well chewed Jig.
IMO jig fishing calicos in kelp stringers at the local islands is generally more about reading the water along with casting accuracy and jig placement than it is about the jig swimming real well... I've landed some large calicos on artificials that don't swim much at all, mainly because my read of the water was a good one and my lure landed right where I wanted it too or in some cases my lure was more weedless than other lures and I was able to pull that bull calico thru that fast growing brown leaf plant they inhabit. ;) Fishing breezing YT in open water with a 7X is a whole different ball game in my mind, same thing with the yo/yo iron where jig color and angler induced action may make the difference between getting bit or not depending on conditions and the overall bite of course... JMHO your actual mileage may vary.

Tight lines and blue skies!

eddiefishtaco

Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
I like them too, i use the wrap on lures for striped bass. And they like them lunkers wrapped

lowprofile

Dec 11, 2011
SoCal
Name
chris
Boat
Sold it
I have to disagree about color not mattering and its all about how it swims. Color does matter AND your jig needs to swim. Earlier this year I ran into a school of 20-30lb Wahoo holding under a school of Mahi. both schools were feeding on puffer fish. The boat got over the wahoo school and the captain called them out as tuna at 100ft so I dropped down a Salas 6x Jr. in scrambled egg on a floro leader. Second drop and I was hooked up on a wahoo, landed it, dropped back down and instantly hooked up with another wahoo which bit me off close to the boat. The only other 6x jr I had was in green and white, worked it several times for nothing, switched to a sumo Jr. in scrambled egg and instantly hooked up! ended up with 4 hoo's and 5 lost jigs in scrambled egg. None of the other colors got touched and they all swim just fine.

with that said I full heartedly believe color does matter. I will also say that a jig that swims better than another of the same color will get hit more. Im interested to see some of these jigs with just a quick spray can paint job vs. the same jig with a wrap.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishdoggary

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I wonder if the species of target fish isn't part of the equation. From the very beginning of my time fishing long range, I have seen that wahoo mostly like bright colors...or seem to. They will also hit dark colors, though, if the action appeals to them. But in general, the conventional wisdom for wahoo is "go flashy...and retrieve fast." And, of course, there is that wonderful saying with which I agree: a wahoo's favorite color is fast! But I must confess that I have had my best success with jigs (not bombs) that were some combination of shiny, pink, and gold. Pink Raiders get killed in my experience.

Yellowtail seem much more interested in action...but I think that applies more to surface iron than to yo-yo iron. Yo-yo bites seem to be more of a reaction strike than anything else, and I suspect that color may play a role here. But again, the jig is moving fast, not so much "swimming." Some colors (and makes of jig) seem to get bit better than others...I have become a huge fan of JRI Custom Jigs...but in general, any good yo-yo jig retrieved quickly will get its fair share of hits. It's when you fish surface iron much more slowly that swimming action really matters. In that case, does color play a role? I'm sure it does...or can, anyway. But from what I have observed, surface iron fishing is really all about the swimming action of the jig.

As for tuna, I have done best with Megabaits, and definitely shiny. I used to go with blue and chrome (and still will), but the one that they seem to hit best is actually a gold colored one with a Kudako hook with a fish skin decoration on the hook. I have no idea why they love that one so much, but they really do. On offshore trips I have just killed the schoolies with that model (I have four of them left, and I'm doing my best to keep them). When I have been down South at Hurricane Bank and the skippies have moved in, that same jig has been just perfect for catching "man bait." Last time I was in that situation, a couple of years ago on Excel, I even had a BIG tuna grab one. I was only fishing 50lbs on my bait rig, and the fish spooled me in a heartbeat, so I lost that one. But in any case, the tuna will eat them...and I honestly don't know if the Megabait has that much action. So maybe for tuna, color and flash matter more. I can't say for sure.

As always, just my own opinion.

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
IMO jig fishing calicos in kelp stringers at the local islands is generally more about reading the water along with casting accuracy and jig placement than it is about the jig swimming real well... I've landed some large calicos on artificials that don't swim much at all, mainly because my read of the water was a good one and my lure landed right where I wanted it too or in some cases my lure was more weedless than other lures and I was able to pull that bull calico thru that fast growing brown leaf plant they inhabit. ;) Fishing breezing YT in open water with a 7X is a whole different ball game in my mind, same thing with the yo/yo iron where jig color and angler induced action may make the difference between getting bit or not depending on conditions and the overall bite of course... JMHO your actual mileage may vary.

Tight lines and blue skies!
So, your contention is that jigs don't have to swim to catch fish? Very interesting. . .
I've got a 5 gal bucket full of jigs that don't swim that you can have Bait Wrapped!

Reactions: Bill W

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
So, your contention is that jigs don't have to swim to catch fish? Very interesting. . .
I've got a 5 gal bucket full of jigs that don't swim that you can have Bait Wrapped!
Send them over, I will enlarge the holes and counter sink them and replace the rings (maybe add another smaller ring onto the larger ring on the line end), perhaps a bit of sanding and a new paint job or awesome Bait Wrap finish and they will be fish KILLERS. I presume your 5 gal bucket is all surface iron?... heavies don't really need to "swim" per say IMO and generally heavies have limited built in action by their maker/designer.

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Send them over, I will enlarge the holes and counter sink them and replace the rings (maybe add another smaller ring onto the larger ring on the line end), perhaps a bit of sanding and a new paint job or awesome Bait Wrap finish and they will be fish KILLERS. I presume your 5 gal bucket is all surface iron?... heavies don't really need to "swim" per say IMO and generally heavies have limited built in action by their maker/designer.
Soot! I'll give'um to you for garage sale prices, $3 a pop! Should an easy $450!
I have Tady 45 heavies, Salas 7X and 6X heavies that swim just like the lites, they don't have to swim but IMO, catch more fish because they do swim! No need for "induced action" when the jigs swim naturally.
Drilling out holes, using bigger, smaller rings, wiring and heavy leaders? Been there, done that in 25+ years of fishing jigs. Thew'em all in the bucket if they didn't swim, keep the ones that swim because they're worth 3X their retail price because they catch fish.
Over and out, I don't belong on this board. . .

PS Rich Whittaker, more power to you, man, the fishing industry is a dog eat dog world! I give you credit for being the entrapanuer in this industry.

Last edited:

D.J.

PapaSquid
Jul 2, 2014
Venice, Ca.
Name
PapaSquid
Boat
The Excalibur
These things rock... I ordered a bunch of them, and have been very successful using them. I'll make sure to be flying a bunch of them on this weekends Chief 2 1/2 day trip... Hopefully, we'll even come into some Wahoo.

Single Hook Tuna Jigs!.jpg

vicodin1

Sep 25, 2009
La Jolla
Name
Bass
Boat
36' Luhrs
I don't know about you, but I never heard about these jigs until this morning when I was reading a report on fishdope. I had to go online and type the the name of the jig to see what it looks like and got this bdoutdoors thread that I clicked on. Forget about yellowtail they anything you drop to them, but this kid landed a SEABASS with this JIG. I can't even land SEABASS with real live squid. Here is the report so you see for yourselves.
The big fish ate a Bait Wraps Red Squid SURFACE iron in the upper La Jolla area. He also hooked but lost a 2nd fish in the same area after landing this one.

Last edited:

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
My understanding with jigs and irons colors really don't make a difference, but the action of the jig or iron is what catches the fish... but they do look good...

And from reading all the posts here, it seems rich's jig have the action needed to catch fish..right off the shelf with no adjusting or making changes...

I've heard stories where a fisherman goes into the tackle shops and goes thru looking at a hundred jigs before finds one he thinks will swim with a good action....

so if that's the case Rich may be to something... and I'm not a jig fisherman, usually fish live bait... But I may give these a try.. I've blown money on other stuff just to get an edge...
so if I buy five for a 100.00 ... and come home with fish... I'd save money... as in fuel, live bait.. and time....

Last edited:

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
i have some for sale if anybody wants them....20 bucks and ship on ur dime

IMG_5387.JPG

Jerry Esten

Nov 21, 2014
Name
jerry Esten
Boat
kayak
Best finish ever! Mine were painted by cavemen. Rich is to be commended for the creative job.
My excuse was it was 57 years ago! We came a long way baby!:D

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Damn, those squid colored jigs look like they'd be killer for the WSB with a live one pinned on.

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
baitwraps is hitting tackles stores soon here is a some of the jigs we have .....we carry 11 different jigs from surface to yoyo ...we are currently doing 10 images ...they are limited supply as we can't keep up production ......

Attachments

Jerry Esten

Nov 21, 2014
Name
jerry Esten
Boat
kayak
We can debate color all day. However if you have great confidence in your tackle,including lures. You will fish better and do better .its the power of positive fishing!!!! Sounds silly I know. Works for me.

Reactions: bluewaterbum

Bigfishhateme

Semper Fi
Feb 7, 2013
Land , Air , and Sea
Name
Sigmund
Boat
"The Sea Monster"
Well.. The old blue and white, mint green, scrambled egg, green and yellow, sardine blue and sardine green,,and of course no paint work because fish do not care. They have a mini brain and are wired to react to motion. They do not have the luxury to process and admire a swimming jig as it moves by. Contrast is important to be noticed but I am sure bait wrapped jigs work too for this reason. Fishing is all about confidence in your equipment but sometimes that is based on hype...
"Wired to react to motion". AGREE 100%
Well said Bill W