fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
Aug 23, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Intrepid
I have caught yellowtail and tuna on the Baitwraps. The ones I like are the sardines and the squids in the Salas 7x and 6x jr. I just got some Deviled Egg Wraps in a 6x and 6x jr. that I think will kill the yellows. These jigs rock.

Waterdog3

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Name
Needham
Boat
War Eagle
I have some jigs that I have fished for over thirty some on years. I wouldn't trade any of them for a night with a hot chick. Beside at my age the hot chick would kill me. To me its all about how the jig swims. Hard to beat an old blue and white Candy Bar or a Salas Jig. Over the years most of us have seen jigs come and go. I believe that Rich maybe onto something with these jigs. Time will tell when you get into a tuff bite. Never to turn a blind eye on something that just might be the ticket I will be buying a few of them to fish the Midriffs in the spring. In fact I may even try them on my 10 day trip on the Shogun in Nov. If they don't fish then they sure will make nice art work to hang in my office. I really believe that they won't be used as art work. Can't hurt to fish them.

Reactions: Kola chaser

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Absolutely awesome looking jig. I doubt that fish really appreciate it the same way...

Reactions: ozbloke

Duckydan

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 8, 2013
ventura/ca
Name
robert
Boat
klam
Same as Doug.. used ealier this year and similar easily outfished other (Blue/Yolk/BS/White Salas/Tady) for YTs.. My only issues was Paint was half chewed after 25 YT or so.

Reactions: norcaltunaclub

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
As others have said, Baitwraps work great on the water. I plan on picking up a few more before my next trip.

-Connor

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
If I were handed one for free I'd use it. But, 90+% of my jig fishing is for Yellows and they'll eat a 6X, 6Xjr or 7X no problem. I see them for $6-7 at Turner's and if there was any room in my jig trays, I'd buy those. Yellowtail fishing, especially with YoYo iron, is pretty non technical.

ozbloke

Fisherman
Aug 27, 2012
fremont ca usa
Name
stu webber
Boat
THE REEL OFFICE
Well ', now thats a deep Subject !):jig: we all know an ear of corn will catch <*^^~~< ...Its a little bit like if you never never Go you will never never know ):D

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
You do realize that in nature at depth natural bait colors are designed to blend in to the environment. Kinda like putting a ghillie suit on a jig. Colors change at different depths.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve K

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
First off...

I have become friends with Rich Whitaker, the fellow who makes the jigs. That being said...

Rich approached me and my son to fish his jigs prior to our 5 day trip this summer. I too believed that there was relatively minimal benefit to color selection vs. jig action. While I was amazed at the brilliant and colorful patterns, I too was a bit skeptical and thought that they looked like they would "catch fisherman" quite well. On the other hand, I'm always looking for any advantage and knew it couldn't hurt.

The bottom line is that more than a few times during that trip my son and I slammed yellowtail one after the other on Bait Wraps jigs when other fisherman, fishing both jigs and bait hooked up at an average pace. The proof was in the pudding and their was a lot of substance during that trip that I personally experienced and witnessed. This applied as well to others when we gave them Bait Wraps jigs to fish with. I will also say that this disparity in catch rate seems to be a very common theme when using these jigs.

The only disadvantage that I can think of is the cost. That being said, I don't personally believe that $20 for a jig of this type is out of the question compared to $10-$17 for traditional jigs.

On the positive side...

As a saltwater bass tournament fishermen, I'm always looking for every possible advantage. (Ex: scents etc.) These jigs are a classic example of that possible edge that can't hurt but may provide excellent benefit.

Having now spent numerous hours fishing these jigs the bottom line is that the relative catch ratio is higher, sometimes much higher than other jigs... I can't help but be all over it!

Rich is widely known as a very experienced and well respected jig fishermen. Rich hand picks or manufactures all of the jigs himself for swimming ability. In my opinion, he doesn't circulate this fact enough. I don't claim to be an expert jig picker, it is quite an art, but I'd pay extra bucks just for that alone. Could this fact be why they catch fish better than others? ... who knows?

Yes, Rich is my friend, and I hope he sells a million of them, but I'll be fishing them in any case.

TP
This is Rich Whitaker and I am the maker of all these jigs. I do them one at a time in my garage and have been fishing jigs for over 50 years. I do it because I love fishing so if you need to get a hold of me just go to Rich Whitaker on Face Book and lets talk fishing.

Ok, I gotta admit, I am confused here. Are you making the jigs? Or, are these jigs that the wrap is applied over?

Reactions: Bottom Line

FishSwami

Oct 19, 2008
Encinitas, CA
Name
Ty
Boat
Team SPY - Key West Bay Reef 230
"You do realize that in nature at depth natural bait colors are designed to blend in to the environment. Kinda like putting a ghillie suit on a jig. Colors change at different depths."[/quote]

Yes colors definitely change and morph as depths increase, however the pattern / graphics on a lure remains relatively the same. I believe in most types of fishing the action (vibration, soundwaves etc.) are primary, but color / lure pattern still play an important role at certain times, especially during periods of heavy pressure and a tough bite. This definitely applies in freshwater, and perhaps to a somewhat lesser extent in the saltwater bass fishing that I often do. Also when fish are watching 6 or 8 different metal objects on a string swim by anything different can't hurt to trigger a bite. In addition there are often certain colors that tend to fish well in many conditions and depths. Chartreuse / green being one. All I'm contending on the color issue is that it certainly can't hurt and that I've definitely seen a difference with the jigs myself at this point.

Just my opinion...

As far as the manufacturing process, I'll let Rich answer that one.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Well.. The old blue and white, mint green, scrambled egg, green and yellow, sardine blue and sardine green,,and of course no paint work because fish do not care. They have a mini brain and are wired to react to motion. They do not have the luxury to process and admire a swimming jig as it moves by. Contrast is important to be noticed but I am sure bait wrapped jigs work too for this reason. Fishing is all about confidence in your equipment but sometimes that is based on hype...

Last edited:

jrsay2

_
Apr 7, 2011
yorba linda,ca
Name
Ron
Boat
no name
View attachment 521064

Lately I have been seeing a lot of these bait wrapped lures at fishing shows and tackle shops at a premium price ($17-$21 each).

Was curious does anyone have any experience using them and do they fish better (better at attracting and getting fish to strike) that standard Salas or is it just a cool looking pretty lure?

I've known Rich Whitaker since we were both @ 12 years old. He is a stand up guy. Rich has more fishing knowledge in his little finger then I could ever hope to know. With that I would use a bait wrap lure just because he suggested it. So this summer on a 5 day trip I tried one. It was clearly the hot jig. I caught many yellowtail cast after cast. If Rich has any other suggestions or recommendations, I will be listening.

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Ok, I gotta admit, I am confused here. Are you making the jigs? Or, are these jigs that the wrap is applied over?
From what I've heard, they take off the rack jigs and photo wrap them. So you can pretty much take any jig and have it wrapped in your favorite flavor. So, I am guessing, if you have a favorite jig or 2 that are great swimmers, you can have them wrapped. Do you still have to pay $20?
If you buy a bait wrap jig off the shelf, will it swim?
I have a 5gal bucket in my garage of jigs that are the right color and brand but don't swim for shit.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
From what I've heard, they take off the rack jigs and photo wrap them. So you can pretty much take any jig and have it wrapped in your favorite flavor. So, I am guessing, if you have a favorite jig or 2 that are great swimmers, you can have them wrapped. Do you still have to pay $20?
If you buy a bait wrap jig off the shelf, will it swim?
I have a 5gal bucket in my garage of jigs that are the right color and brand but don't swim for shit.
Put lipstick on a pig...

Your jig bait wrapped I thought was $15.00

A Salas or Tady rep always have the hot swimming jig cause they select good swimmers...

Last edited:

moondoge

Dec 1, 2010
Encinitas Ca USA
Name
Rich Whitaker
Boat
Tracker Avalanche
Thanks for all the feedback, I have my own thoughts on why my imaged jigs outfish all painted jigs and if you want to talk to me about it give me a call...
I have been fishing jigs for about 47 years and when I get told over and over again by fisherman and captains of boats they have never seen anything like it the way these things get bit sometimes I half to step back and ask myself why. I was taught jig fishing by Tady himself on the boats out of Pier Point Landing back in the 60s and I remember everything he taught me. Back then I fished with all the greats from Tady to old man Salas and the big man Leonard "Straggler" Luisser. They love jig fishing and teaching people how to fish them. I think now a days it's all about how much money they can make and the hell with the future of jig fishing.

If you want to know why my jigs are retailed for $20 just give me a call and I will be happy to tel you.

Thanks,
Rich Whitaker/ Bait Wraps
714-396-1278

7X lights.jpg

20 OG and 20 SR.jpg

15 finished 6Xjr.jpg

6 squids.jpg

Mermaids.jpg

Reactions: ReelDealAngler

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Rich, it's pretty obvious that you're passionately enthusiastic about your wraps.
Good for you! Those jigs are great looking for sure.

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Its obvious that Rich knows his shit when it comes to jigs... just look at the LARGE counter sunk ring holes on BOTH ends of his surface jigs. And its amazing to me that some of you BD jig "experts" go on and on about what color your wahoo bombs should be (YOUR "favorite" color or YOUR "go to" color... yada yada yada ), but yet color doesn't mean a thing on a jig that actually swims via angler induced action (presentation technique) or via a designed built in action?... go figure! Bruce Smith (former Shogun skipper - BD favorite - official jig fishing "expert") swore by 7X "Python" color and promoted it heavily as he caught YT on it consistently in the LR arena... so go tell that experienced jig tossing LR captain that color doesn't matter.

ALL fish innately key in on movement, color and silhouette when it comes to feeding on available forage food... and there are several factors that can influence their decision to strike an artificial lure: water clarity, water temps, available sunlight from above, current feeding pattern on forage food available, their current stomach capacity (empty or full) for additional food intake... just to name a few. In a wide open bite (aka feeding frenzy) generally most any jig will work if put in front of a HUNGRY fish... even the bad swimming surface iron, unless of course that jig is just completely spinning over itself rather than "swimming" because it is being cranked too fast by an inexperienced or an overly excited angler.

Rich your jigs look awesome, and they "match the hatch" better than any others I've ever seen (currently or in the past 40 years I've been fishing jigs), and I have no doubt that they will swim as intended by their original maker... so truly a great combination of fit/function ("swim") and realistic finish in my mind. I will be ordering some myself real soon and can't wait to properly use them as designed for their intended application.

Tight lines and blue skies!

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
If you learned fishing jigs from Tady and Dal then you learned how to "swim" them
If the jigs swim, they'd catch'um if they were wrapped like this!

View attachment 549250
Bet a Bettie Page jig gets bit well...

Color is important to me. Counter sinking jig holes are very important, proper choosing jigs from a rack of them very important.

It's all about the motion and what triggers a strike...

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Yep, Capt Bruce and I were throwing the plug at Calicos this spring on the Fortune this Spring at Clemente. He does know his shit, tried to keep up with him but as usual, out fished me 2X using a well chewed Jig.

Reactions: Bill W

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Danny Wade has a plain Jane color jig that he has retired. Wow does that jig swim...