Bait wrap lures

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Dr Polynomial, Jun 14, 2014.

1. moondoge

moondoge Newbie

Name:
    Rich Whitaker
    Boat:
    Tracker Avalanche
    This is Rich Whitaker and I am the maker of all these jigs. I do them one at a time in my garage and have been fishing jigs for over 50 years. I do it because I love fishing so if you need to get a hold of me just go to Rich Whitaker on Face Book and lets talk fishing.

BigfishDM, PATYMELTER1 and Fish17 like this.
  2. fishforfun2

fishforfun2 Hunter Gatherer

Name:
    Dale
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    I'm a believer in a well presented salas lure where there's fish around will work just fine.Nice looking lure

3. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    The prettiest jigs for me have all the paint chewed off...

4. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Word! Can't argue that!

5. FishSwami

FishSwami Member

Name:
    Ty
    Boat:
    Team SPY - Key West Bay Reef 230
    First off...

I have become friends with Rich Whitaker, the fellow who makes the jigs. That being said...

Rich approached me and my son to fish his jigs prior to our 5 day trip this summer. I too believed that there was relatively minimal benefit to color selection vs. jig action. While I was amazed at the brilliant and colorful patterns, I too was a bit skeptical and thought that they looked like they would "catch fisherman" quite well. On the other hand, I'm always looking for any advantage and knew it couldn't hurt.

The bottom line is that more than a few times during that trip my son and I slammed yellowtail one after the other on Bait Wraps jigs when other fisherman, fishing both jigs and bait hooked up at an average pace. The proof was in the pudding and their was a lot of substance during that trip that I personally experienced and witnessed. This applied as well to others when we gave them Bait Wraps jigs to fish with. I will also say that this disparity in catch rate seems to be a very common theme when using these jigs.

The only disadvantage that I can think of is the cost. That being said, I don't personally believe that $20 for a jig of this type is out of the question compared to $10-$17 for traditional jigs.

On the positive side...

As a saltwater bass tournament fishermen, I'm always looking for every possible advantage. (Ex: scents etc.) These jigs are a classic example of that possible edge that can't hurt but may provide excellent benefit.

Having now spent numerous hours fishing these jigs the bottom line is that the relative catch ratio is higher, sometimes much higher than other jigs... I can't help but be all over it!

Rich is widely known as a very experienced and well respected jig fishermen. Rich hand picks or manufactures all of the jigs himself for swimming ability. In my opinion, he doesn't circulate this fact enough. I don't claim to be an expert jig picker, it is quite an art, but I'd pay extra bucks just for that alone. Could this fact be why they catch fish better than others? ... who knows?

Yes, Rich is my friend, and I hope he sells a million of them, but I'll be fishing them in any case.

TP

BigfishDM likes this.
  6. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I have caught yellowtail and tuna on the Baitwraps. The ones I like are the sardines and the squids in the Salas 7x and 6x jr. I just got some Deviled Egg Wraps in a 6x and 6x jr. that I think will kill the yellows. These jigs rock.

7. Waterdog3

Waterdog3 Member

Name:
    Needham
    Boat:
    War Eagle
    I have some jigs that I have fished for over thirty some on years. I wouldn't trade any of them for a night with a hot chick. Beside at my age the hot chick would kill me. To me its all about how the jig swims. Hard to beat an old blue and white Candy Bar or a Salas Jig. Over the years most of us have seen jigs come and go. I believe that Rich maybe onto something with these jigs. Time will tell when you get into a tuff bite. Never to turn a blind eye on something that just might be the ticket I will be buying a few of them to fish the Midriffs in the spring. In fact I may even try them on my 10 day trip on the Shogun in Nov. If they don't fish then they sure will make nice art work to hang in my office. I really believe that they won't be used as art work. Can't hurt to fish them.

Kola chaser likes this.
  8. Nic D

Nic D Living life in Baja

Name:
    Nic
    Boat:
    2018 26' Pelagic Hybrid Super Panga in the East Cape
    I'll chime in.

I fished the bait wraps jig two weekends ago and I'm here to tell you, they swim really, really good. Then the graphics on Rich's jigs... Well you be the judge...

I'm sold! Love my bait wraps jigs!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Nardo and BigfishDM like this.
  9. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Absolutely awesome looking jig. I doubt that fish really appreciate it the same way...

ozbloke likes this.
  10. Duckydan

Duckydan Newbie

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    klam
    Same as Doug.. used ealier this year and similar easily outfished other (Blue/Yolk/BS/White Salas/Tady) for YTs.. My only issues was Paint was half chewed after 25 YT or so.

norcaltunaclub likes this.
  11. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    As others have said, Baitwraps work great on the water. I plan on picking up a few more before my next trip.

-Connor

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    If I were handed one for free I'd use it. But, 90+% of my jig fishing is for Yellows and they'll eat a 6X, 6Xjr or 7X no problem. I see them for $6-7 at Turner's and if there was any room in my jig trays, I'd buy those. Yellowtail fishing, especially with YoYo iron, is pretty non technical.

13. J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    Sure are purdy! A jig is only as good as it swims. . .

Fishybuzz likes this.
  14. ozbloke

ozbloke Fisherman

Name:
    stu webber
    Boat:
    THE REEL OFFICE
    Well ', now thats a deep Subject !):jig: we all know an ear of corn will catch <*^^~~< ...Its a little bit like if you never never Go you will never never know ):D

15. PATYMELTER1

PATYMELTER1 Newbie

Name:
    PATRICK
    Boat:
    SECOND CHANCE
    image.jpg

Nic D and ozbloke like this.
  16. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    You do realize that in nature at depth natural bait colors are designed to blend in to the environment. Kinda like putting a ghillie suit on a jig. Colors change at different depths.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Steve K likes this.
  17. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel

Ok, I gotta admit, I am confused here. Are you making the jigs? Or, are these jigs that the wrap is applied over?

Bottom Line likes this.
  18. FishSwami

FishSwami Member

Name:
    Ty
    Boat:
    Team SPY - Key West Bay Reef 230
    "You do realize that in nature at depth natural bait colors are designed to blend in to the environment. Kinda like putting a ghillie suit on a jig. Colors change at different depths."[/quote]

Yes colors definitely change and morph as depths increase, however the pattern / graphics on a lure remains relatively the same. I believe in most types of fishing the action (vibration, soundwaves etc.) are primary, but color / lure pattern still play an important role at certain times, especially during periods of heavy pressure and a tough bite. This definitely applies in freshwater, and perhaps to a somewhat lesser extent in the saltwater bass fishing that I often do. Also when fish are watching 6 or 8 different metal objects on a string swim by anything different can't hurt to trigger a bite. In addition there are often certain colors that tend to fish well in many conditions and depths. Chartreuse / green being one. All I'm contending on the color issue is that it certainly can't hurt and that I've definitely seen a difference with the jigs myself at this point.

Just my opinion...

As far as the manufacturing process, I'll let Rich answer that one.

19. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Well.. The old blue and white, mint green, scrambled egg, green and yellow, sardine blue and sardine green,,and of course no paint work because fish do not care. They have a mini brain and are wired to react to motion. They do not have the luxury to process and admire a swimming jig as it moves by. Contrast is important to be noticed but I am sure bait wrapped jigs work too for this reason. Fishing is all about confidence in your equipment but sometimes that is based on hype...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Bigfishhateme, Fishybuzz and Johnny J like this.
  20. mikelts

mikelts Sheriffdad

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Top Gun 80, Independence
    I had a chance to try out the Bait Wrap Lures on a recent 5 Day trip and was very happy with the results. I caught limits of YFT, Mahi, and YT using both the heavy and surface lure versions of the lures. I won't hesitate to buy more of these for my next trip.

Bait Wrap Lures Results.JPG

Nic D, speyman and norcaltunaclub like this.