Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
I had a 8$ Rapala bait knife for years that did the job of plug cutting herring, bleeding fish, hacking up crab bait, cutting rope, etc..... Stayed pretty sharp and didn't rust.

Well it finally got lost I am wondering what you guys are using for this application. It sits in a slot in the cutting board on the transom and gets lots of spray and abuse. Any better suggestions before I replace with another Rapala?

thanks

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Whichever I am invited onto
Morakniv or the Dexter net knife. I wear mine on a belt but either of those are great and cheap enough to not feel bat if they get dropped etc…

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Morakniv or the Dexter net knife. I wear mine on a belt but either of those are great and cheap enough to not feel bat if they get dropped etc…

I have a morakniv and I really like it but it rusts pretty bad. I don't know if they have a saltwater friendly one but mine was like $12

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Don't want serrated like the Dexter but the Mora looks pretty cool. Needs to not rust however, it is not going to get a lot of care. I have a couple Vic knives but found them to thin bladed for this all around use.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
I had a 8$ Rapala bait knife for years that did the job of plug cutting herring, bleeding fish, hacking up crab bait, cutting rope, etc..... Stayed pretty sharp and didn't rust.

Well it finally got lost I am wondering what you guys are using for this application. It sits in a slot in the cutting board on the transom and gets lots of spray and abuse. Any better suggestions before I replace with another Rapala?

thanks

I think that thin little rapala is still perfect for all those uses you describe.
I have several of the moraknives and they are good boat knives but better for bleeding a halibut or tuna than precisely cutting cut plugs. I don’t like their thick, stiff blade for that application.

Reactions: Duramax2500

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Reactions: TimeZoned

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
+2 on the Stainless Moraknives. I rarely fish bait and never cut plug, it has a thick backbone so definitely not a filet knife but is a great all around deck knife that holds an edge. I usually remember to hit it with freshwater after a trip, even though it it stainless it does pick up an occasional rust freckle but not bad.

Amazon.com: Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch, Cyan: Sports & Outdoors

I'll have to get one of those. I really like mine but it it's definitely carbon steel. I didn't even know they made SS ones.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
+2 on the Stainless Moraknives. I rarely fish bait and never cut plug, it has a thick backbone so definitely not a filet knife but is a great all around deck knife that holds an edge. I usually remember to hit it with freshwater after a trip, even though it it stainless it does pick up an occasional rust freckle but not bad.

Amazon.com: Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch, Cyan: Sports & Outdoors
Ordered this one. Should do the job. Thanks guys.

Reactions: sgwill122

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
I have some of those stainless morakniv ones that I take poor care of. They haven’t rusted out too bad, not any worse than any of the cheap stainless fillet knives.

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
I've always loved vickies, we cut lots of line and used for a variety of stuff on commercial boats. The black handled ones are great for a bit more stiff action, with a smaller blade size. I buy the white handled ones for our family steak knives.