Bait tank rigging

Sep 2, 2022
Granada hills Ca
Name
Jason Ferreira
Boat Name
Fishhawk
Just got new 23 gal bait tank . Also purchased a kit to plumb water in , T fitting to sprayer, and drain riser pipe. The drain riser pipe and outlet looks a bit small to me 3/4” but wanted to have the crew weigh in on this before i commit.

0B957140-0716-409C-80C9-F26DF6FA60AC.jpeg
9C90CA14-2BE6-4E85-96EE-E5727DA81E46.jpeg

BE80F438-FF3C-47AD-91A3-898290A3D33B.jpeg56193009-921A-4ABC-AAF9-308141CD6EC0.jpeg

Upvote 0

TheWesNMads

May 18, 2020
Yorba Linda
Name
Dan
Boat Name
1979 24’ skipjack fly bridge
The hole for your spray head I would use as a drain. The standpipe I would try to get it as close to the wall as possible, drill 1/4” holes in a straight line along its length, point the holes against the wall slightly flowing counter clockwise and use it to feed water in, cap the top of the pipe. Your bait will live all day at least.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2022
Granada hills Ca
Name
Jason Ferreira
Boat Name
Fishhawk
The hole for your spray head I would use as a drain. The standpipe I would try to get it as close to the wall as possible, drill 1/4” holes in a straight line along its length, point the holes against the wall slightly flowing counter clockwise and use it to feed water in, cap the top of the pipe. Your bait will live all day at least.
No holes drilled yet-

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
nii
goog.com
Name
go
Boat Name
Cabo 216
The amount of water that has to flow into the tank for sardines will not flow out of that 3/4" drain that is supplied very fast, thus overfilling the bait tank. Most boats have a 1 1/2" drain to keep the water level in the tank where it needs to be.

Overhead spray is not necessary for our bait on the west coast. I do not know anything about East Coast live bait tanks, which I think that is what you have but is easily converted by installing a larger drain and a baffle.

You will want to try and baffle the inlet. The jet of water that will come shooting into the bait tank will injure every sardine that swims into the jet blast of water. Very quickly your bait will get beat up and die. It can be solved by cutting a piece of 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe the height of the inside of the tank. Then split that pipe down the middle lengthwise. Then drill a series of 1/4 inch holes every 1/2" from top to bottom on the side of this PVC. Now silicone glue the split pipe over the inlet. The jet blast is now baffled and you will have a gentle flow coming out the 1/4 inch hole that you have provided. The bait will last a lot longer with a gentle flow of water in the tank. If you look at West Coast designed and built bait tanks, all the inlet water is baffled.
Good luck

Reactions: Guywithbentrod 818
Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat Name
YES
I would go with a lot bigger than 3/4 for a drain pipe.I used 1 1/2" on mine.Mine drains from the top of the tank.
Solid advise. The 3/4 inlet side is coming in under pressure filling the tank way faster than a 3/4 gravity drain line can empty it. The rule is every time you go up in a pipe size you increase your volume 3 fold. So for example from a 3/4 line to a 1 inch line is 3 times the volume like the difference between 1 cup of water to 3 cups of water. With the 1 1/2 inch drain your 3/4 inlet source can't overwhelm the drain unless it's clogged.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2022
Granada hills Ca
Name
Jason Ferreira
Boat Name
Fishhawk
Reactions: javierlopez123
Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2022
Granada hills Ca
Name
Jason Ferreira
Boat Name
Fishhawk
Maybe. Just maybe before buying the tank you bought. You should have asked which tank to buy. But I’ll accept the maroon comment.
The difference between a master and an apprentice is the master has failed more times than the apprentice has tried.
Boats a 17 1/2’ Crestliner fishhawk-the tank I purchased fit the weight and size area I have. with all the great advice I received here I’m buying new parts already! Always appreciate comments
As yours got me a little excited ✌🏼

Upvote 0