Bait Tank Pump?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by mischief1, Apr 16, 2017.

1. mischief1

mischief1 Member

Name:
    Dennis
    Boat:
    24 Skipjack "Catchit"
    I have a Sure flow pump now 1100 GPH work great but it is very loud. Looking for something a little less loud for stealth sea bass fishing. Has Rule pumps solved there issues with failure? Any recommendations?

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Im on the same boat you are. I have the same pump. I like it because its super reliable and never had a problem at all while I've heard otherwise on the rule pumps. Even have a friend with same parker but runs the rule, but goes through about 3 a year......I know its quite-er, but i would hate to deal with pump issues on the water and such.

On another note, you think the pump actually matters for seabasss as bigger 6 pack boats have generators running non stop?

3. tuna sniffer

tuna sniffer SD '63

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    1 tin 1 glass
    I have run the Kodiaks which are basically Rules for many years. The only failures I have experienced are when they get clogged with eelgrass. If you unscrew and clean them every few trips(takes about 3 min) and/or use a raw water strainer, you will get many years of use. I am not a fan of the Rule Tournament series though. Louder and not as well built.

4. bman440440

bman440440 I am the one who knocks!!!

Name:
    B-MAN
    Boat:
    Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Ship Show(30' double decker pontoon),Ships&Giggles(32' double decker pontoon)
    I have a rule tournament series 800 GPH (and mine is so quiet I have to open the engine hatch to hear it running)... I have been running it for 3 years now and a low estimate of 1200 hours on it and no problem what so ever... I heard of the problems with them and I have a new one still in the blister pack sitting in the glove box since I did not want to be caught off guard if it failed out on the water... that being said I do flush my bait tank and pump with fresh water after every trip... after I hose the boat down I put the hose in the tank and let it run wile I scrub the dirty areas of the boat... I don't know if that's why I have not had any problems with mine but its something I do and its easy to do... that's my 2c

5. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    IMO seems Rule has gotten past the serious issues they had a couple years back. Personally I have had trouble with the Sureflows (years ago) and have used Rules for years and the problem period aside have been happy with them. Don't knw what size tank we're talking about but the Jabsco Cyclones are pretty bullet proof. My be a little big on a 24 Skippy.
    No matter what pump you go with mounting it with hose from the seacock to the pump instead of hard mounting the pump to the seacock will help quiet it. Also mounting a board with some rubber isolators then mounting the pump to it can help.

6. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Jabsco Cyclone

7. monster1

monster1 Typical striper owner

Name:
    Monster
    Boat:
    Yep
    Are you talking about the bait sentry pump? Yeah. They are loud. But they are sure a hell of a lot quieter than the sport boats that are always on the sea bass and keep their engines running. I think of be more worried about reliability. My friend changed his pump out to a quieter Rule last year and had nothing but issues. He burned out a pump every trip out. Then he switched back to the original and hasn't had problems since. If Rule has fixed their issues, it must have been within the last year otherwise it's the same pump prone to failure.

goatram likes this.
  8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Member

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 DVSC Diesel
    I am switching out a Sentry for a Cyclone this week. While it is true Sporties run engines and pumps while on the anchor, they are usually fishing squid grounds or deep water fish. Sentry noise = vibration, especially when mounted directly to the thru hull. When fishing beaches or on the coast for seabass ANY noise is too much noise. Sentry's are great pumps for yellows and tuna but seabass, not so much.

9. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I have a Pacific edge 85D with one Shurflo 2000 for both sides, the pump is going on its fourth season without a problem, I bought two pumps one for a back up, its still sitting in the box.
    I tried many pumps before, the Shurflo gives the best performance and greatest longevity.
    As for the noise, I have caught white sea bass on anchor with the generator running.

monster1 and bman440440 like this.