Kool-Aid

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Boat is in the yard about to get my new 48 gallon bluewater tank installed.

I'm looking at pump options. Randy from Bluewater is recommending the Jabsco Cyclone pump but it's a below the waterline style pump. While it may be a great pump I'm still worried about an air lock AND trying to find a way to mount it below the water line so it stays primed.

That leaves me the rule cartridge style....which I swore I would never use again.

Or going with a magnetic drive pump. Only downside of those I really know of is that the one in my worldcat sounded like a box of rocks when it was running. Granted stuff in the new boat is a little more insulated and if the diesels are running...I'm not going to hear anything from the pump stand point.

NOW HERE'S THE KICKER!!!!

I have the 20 gallon transom mounted tank I want to fill as well. I want this pump to be able to be strong enough to push water to both tanks. The transom mount tank I can shut water flow off by a valve inside the tank. The 48 oval...I can't. So when pump is on...it's headed to the big tank 100% of the time.

Let's hear your thoughts and recommendations. I have the cyclone in my garage and the boat is in the yard and they start work so I have to get whatever I'm using to them pretty quick.

Reactions: paveingnomo
Jul 29, 2019
seattle
Name
Jesse Montenegro
Boat
Hookoholic
The Jabsco 50840-0012 is a good pump. It is used for this mainly because of its stainless steel body. It takes 3/4" NPT so it is easy to hook up and has a pretty long pump life. It does move a good amount of water as well. Even though it calls for 3/4" you should run a 1" seacock and a sea-strainer to it so it gets plenty of water. It will push about 7 to 8 PSI through 3/4" hose and has about a 5' real world lift. I have had a few guy take the hose down to 5/8" to get another foot or two of lift as well.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: FISHTALE2

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
If you mount the cyclone on its side with the outlet straight up it will reduce airlock chance to almost zero.Best DC pump available IMO.Tom

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
I should also clarify that they are removing the existing through hull to add a scoop style pick up to force water up so that may negate any issues with the cyclone not being able to pick up water.

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Bait Sentry, shurflo! Magnetic drive 1500gph for main tank. 800gph small tank on a T fitting. Hell add another T and add your washdown pump to it. I have a 1.5" dia. And a 1" thru hull. I have 3 pumps on my 1.5" manifold with a ball valve. And only one pump on the 1". I have high speed pickup scoops on both.

Rule pumps suck. Your first World Cat went thru 2 in the one trip. I passed you a bucket of bait that day after i plugged the boat. Remember?

I will only install magnetic pumps.

jskfish

Aug 2, 2006
Federal Way, WA
Name
John Kapica
Boat
Pursuit 315OS
I have the cyclone on my current boat fed via a groco strainer and high speed pick up (no scoop scupper) and it works great and is not below the waterline but close to intake and bait tank. I have a shurflo 500 for an additional tank and have had shurflo 800 and 1100 feed one or more tanks in the past with good results. I have had rule cartridge and fixed in the past but way too many failures to recommend. Often the pump will run but the blade that pumps water rusts off of the pin so sounds like it is working but no bueno:)

Reactions: goatram

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Goat...will never go to those Rules again...ever. The worldcat I went to that magentic drive style. It worked flawlessly for the remaining time I owned the boat...it was just loud.

Going to head to the boat and see what pump is on it now. The existing transom set up is a crazy system. There's the main pump that pumps water in...then there's a separate pump that then re-circulates the existing water inside the tank

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
X 2 on what goat said. That’s what we run and carry spare Haven’t needed the spare except to loan to others. 😆😆

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
Why not install one below the water line? I prefer a sideways mount too.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Just went to the boat. I thought there was NO access to be below the waterline.

Turns out there's a perfect spot just below the line so that remains an option.

Reactions: WaveDancer

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
If you get the Cyclone and water can leak down on it,use a liter soft drink bottle to cover the motor.Unlike the Rule they should not get wet.Tom

Reactions: Emzbuddy

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
This is a brand new pump with a brass base. Not good on a Aluminum boat. I got it cheap. Where is bluewater marine. It belonks on a plastic boat. My spare is already plumbed in. With Valves I can swap it out once i get back to the dock. Looks 1" pipe thread.

Also all you wanna be tuna boys get a few bait nets in your boat. I have mine and hands off of them unless you ask first. Except for Vance and of course Norm.

Larry2, marlon plastic is different kind of that evil chit. I have SS ball valves and Marlon ball valves below the water line.

Use guards of some sort so some FNG helping you won't step on it and break shit. I think you can step on them and they won't break. The plastic thru hulls should be made of brass and Marlon for Clorox and Marlon or Aluminum 6061 pipe.

My further imput.

15942506275893351209964822845508.jpg

15942506454316436914247547038154.jpg

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Does Jabsco still make the water puppy? If you do connect the two tanks remember to use a " Y " not a tee. I would find them at Aquarium / Fish tank supply stores.

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Water puppys have a rubber impeller,they are very noisey and are not made for constant use.They are self priming and make good wash down pumps if you dont want a pressure shut off.JMO,Tom

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Bait sentry 1100. They are magnetic drive. Indestructible. I have one on key boat going on 4 years, and 15plus tank installs for customers with the same pump. No issues ever

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
No I have the same pump goat is showing and it’s too strong you have too neck it down too far it overheats and shuts off. Sorry goat but they pump needs to go on a big tank.

• Wow

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
We switched to baitbsentry 1100

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
The only time I have had a issue with the Cyclones is if they get wet.I have one for my main tank and another that feeds my bow tank and bait bag.Tom