Bait tank plumbing (Shurflo Bait Sentry)

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
I'll be installing the Shurflo Bait Sentry in my Skipjack 24 open. I have to mount it horizontally due to clearance issues with the vertical mount. How would you guys secure the pump to a stringer? Maybe a couple band clamps around the pump that can be screwed into the stringer? If you're not familiar with this pump, it does not have any mounting holes.

Will also be using a strainer to keep debris out of the bait tank. Should the strainer go BEFORE the pump to protect the pump itself, or is that not necessary? I believe the pump should be installed as close to the thru hull as possible.

Lastly, do you guys use a valve (ball valve, check valve, or other) on the overflow/drain, or not necessary?

IMG_6863.JPG

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
How about a 90 degree fitting right at the thru-hull and then screw the pump onto that ? That's how mine is.A strainer is good.And no valve on the overflow.

Reactions: goatram
Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
strainer goes in-between the thru hull pickup and the pump... IMO do not use a 90 off the pickup use a hose from that to the strainer then to the pump... and use band clamps to a stringer to secure the pump and keep the outlet of the pump pointed up to help any possible issues with airlocks... keep in mind every 90 in the system slows down the flow.

Reactions: sickcat
Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Mine sits horizontal off a 90 from the thru Hull. Then about 2’ of hose to a shut off. I don’t have a strainer The shut off serves two purposes.
1. it allows u to adjust flo rate for your tank
2. When your pump takes a shit on you while your on the h20, u can shut the valve to change the pump. No water from your tank filling your bildge.
And when that happens don’t toss the pump they have a few year warranty. Basically u pay for two pumps and your good to go.

also a good idea to wire it with quick connect terminals to aid in a speedy swap while on the h20

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
the pump should be mounted below the water line, it's not self priming. to install you will need a 3/4" scoop strainer pickup.lthruhull, a 3/4" ball valve, 3/4" 90 street el, a 3/4" male npt to 3/4" hose barb, a 3/4" female npt to 3/4" hose barb. you can use a couple of hose clamps screwed to a mounting point. the strainer should go in between the pump and the shut off valve. put the pickup strainer in the back sop it's always in the the water, don't put it in front of any transducers, the turbulence will give you a bad reading.

Reactions: goatram
Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    the pump should be mounted below the water line, it's not self priming. to install you will need a 3/4" scoop strainer pickup.lthruhull, a 3/4" ball valve, 3/4" 90 street el, a 3/4" male npt to 3/4" hose barb, a 3/4" female npt to 3/4" hose barb. you can use a couple of hose clamps screwed to a mounting point. the strainer should go in between the pump and the shut off valve. put the pickup strainer in the back sop it's always in the the water, don't put it in front of any transducers, the turbulence will give you a bad reading.
    This.
    Mine is a 1,5" truhull, with a high-speed pickup scoop, a ball valve, to a 1.5" manifold that uses 2 ea. T fittings with reducers to hook up 2ea. 3/4" pumps and a 1" bait pump. I don't have strainers in the system. The scoop on the hill bottom does the rough straining of debris. In the 8 years I have burned up 2 bait pumps. Lost one Tang of bait when a plastic bag blocked the pickup at the dock.

I do have 4 pumps on board; wash down, bleed tank with a 800gph bait sentry pump that is 17 years old. And 2 1500gph bait pumps. One is a spare that I use to flood the deck. More flow then the wash down pump.

Your on the right track. Rule or Johnson cartridge ones are the ones that shear the impeller shafts. BS pumps use a Magnetic coupling to drive the impeller. 20mph will fill my 60gallon tank half full when the pump is off.

Upvote 0

benrd81

May 21, 2009
    Lompoc, ca
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    2660 Sailfish WAC Reellife
    Really should be using a seacock instead of a ball valve for the connection to the thru hull other wise you are mating miss matched threads. If you all ready have the valve and can't spring for a seacock here is an adapter that will work.

The difference in price is so close its almost easier to go with a proper seacock.

Amazon product
    Amazon product

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    I think this is exactly right. One point I would add is to make sure that the water always runs uphill to the pump. Any high spot may create a block that will prevent the pump from priming.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

Aug 23, 2004
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    This.
    Mine is a 1,5" truhull, with a high-speed pickup scoop, a ball valve, to a 1.5" manifold that uses 2 ea. T fittings with reducers to hook up 2ea. 3/4" pumps and a 1" bait pump. I don't have strainers in the system. The scoop on the hill bottom does the rough straining of debris. In the 8 years I have burned up 2 bait pumps. Lost one Tang of bait when a plastic bag blocked the pickup at the dock.

I do have 4 pumps on board; wash down, bleed tank with a 800gph bait sentry pump that is 17 years old. And 2 1500gph bait pumps. One is a spare that I use to flood the deck. More flow then the wash down pump.

Your on the right track. Rule or Johnson cartridge ones are the ones that shear the impeller shafts. BS pumps use a Magnetic coupling to drive the impeller. 20mph will fill my 60gallon tank half full when the pump is off.
    it's best to put a strainer in right after the ball valve ....
    1612037843534.png

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

Aug 23, 2004
    Name
    RICK
    Boat
    Really should be using a seacock instead of a ball valve for the connection to the thru hull other wise you are mating miss matched threads. If you all ready have the valve and can't spring for a seacock here is an adapter that will work.

The difference in price is so close its almost easier to go with a proper seacock.

Amazon product
    Amazon product
    these are great for boats that are in the water all the time, and have a perfectly flat place to mount them. other than that i'd never use them ,

Upvote 0

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
    Name
    Bru
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Thanks for the replies. I should clarify - I have a scoop/strainer pickup, 3/4" seacock, 90 degree elbow. Sounds like I should install the strainer next, then the pump, and another valve before the bait tank.

About the transducer location, relative to the thru hull pickup - I read somewhere that the transducer should be mounted on the starboard side for clockwise rotating props. So I previously had it mounted between the trailer bunks (#2 in the pic), but this was directly behind pickup. Should I install it closer to the keel (#1), or towards the outside (#3)?

InkedIMG_6866_LI.jpg

Upvote 0

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    It’s best to have clean water ahead of a transome mount ducer.
    Option 1 seams to close to your outdrive.
    Option 3 may have interference as well
    Option 2 is the best minus the pickup so that’s out
    Is option 2 on the port side clean?

Upvote 0

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
    San diego
    Name
    Dustin
    Boat
    26' sea swirl
    I think your stuck with the lesser of two evils. Be sure to use a stern saver as toi will more than likey have to adjust the ducer.... what ducer do you have?

Upvote 0