Bait tank mounting on a Whaler

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
I am looking for a way to mount my bait tank the my boat. I would like to be able to remove the tank when not fishing and don't want to leave the L brackets screwed in place.

I also can't have open holes in my boat because it's a whaler and can't fill the foam with water. If anybody has done this please let me know.

IMG_6883.JPG

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
You drill a bigger hole and fill it with epoxy then screw into that so there is no intrusion. If you can do a little glass work that's the best way in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Cago

Feb 24, 2011
La Palma, CA USA
Name
Marvin
Boat
“Free Spool”
We have a tank just like that (Kodiak 22 gallon) that we don't even bolt down. The weight of the water holds it fine. We put down some rubber mat underneath it to prevent sliding but have done without it too with no problems. The rubber mat is the kind you put at the bottom of drawers.

Upvote 0

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
Eric,

I drilled larger holes, then filled them with epoxy. Right before it was fully set, I screwed in stainless steel inserts. The ones I got were specifically for snowboarding. I did not want open hole fittings so these were the best I found:

binding-freedom-insert.jpg

I made sure they were screwed in just slightly above the deck line so water wouldn't accumulate in them when not in use. I did have to buy the appropriate SS screws for the threads.

If I had to do it over, I'd spend a little more time sourcing out larger SS inserts so that the larger screws that came with the bait tank would fit.
1158878_1d11dd0c8de6b338bf8f06723e07b17a.jpg

I place a mat (one of those for the counters) underneath to keep the tank from wanting to move more than it should so there is no extra stress on the deck.
1158881_8774d19e6c798a3152c36eb18bde94e0.jpg

Upvote 0

Cago

Feb 24, 2011
La Palma, CA USA
Name
Marvin
Boat
“Free Spool”
Im also getting ready to do something similar for mounting a table pedestal. Going to drill larger holes and fill with epoxy. Then drill and tap for a helicoil.

Upvote 0