Bait Tank Mods

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Postal719, Jun 10, 2018.

1. tamddo714

tamddo714 Member

Name:
    Butt Hunter
    Boat:
    Proline 23 Sport
    I have a proline from florida and had a similar livewell. found this mod and did it to my livewell but just ended up ripping out my livewell seat and replaced it with a 75 gal bluewater tank. The mod "should" work but its never going to be better than a real west coast tank made for west coast baits. Bait is everything. and RICK is on point with what he said.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...riper-actory-bait-tank-mods-that-work.451153/

spize909 and Shewillbemine like this.
  2. Postal719

Postal719 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    I kinda like the seat that the factory tank allows too. I made some decent longer range trips last season without a ton of turn over. Just trying to tune it up.

3. Postal719

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    I have a 45 gallon factory tank with top drains. The one in the write up is much smaller and doesn't have drains.

4. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I am going to use the word "problem" for lack of a better one.
    What you are trying to do is use a East Coast live bait "well" in place of a West Coast live bait "tank", not saying it can't work, may work and work well, however keep in mind live bait on the east coast is different from what we use here on the west coast, few years back I was in Maryland visiting a family member, he had a boat with a beautiful live well for catching stripers, held 20--25 eels very well, they lasted for ever in that well, I know our bait would not last a 1/2 day in that thing.
    most things can be made to work, first one must be honest with what they have and where they want to go and how much compromise they are willing to live with. the idea of starting from scratch as merits.
    As for a square tank is a square, the tank I saw in the picture above (the black one) is a baffle fill and drain, a world apart from the tank you have built in.

errock_22 likes this.
  5. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    If you’re a serious fisherman, replace the tank with a blue water or pacific edge. Doesn’t matter what you do to this tank; it’s useless for west coast. Don’t cut it out if you don’t want to....just add a tank to the deck.

Nothing you do will significantly improved this tank. Just being honest.

MATTANZA and errock_22 like this.
  6. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    I'd live with what you have , until a good used blue water , off shore or pacific edge bait tank pops up. you can cut a clean hole , and just drop it in . the proper tank has a baffled inlet , and a baffled outlet. both inlet and outlet will be on the bottom and easy to re-plumb. you should be able to put a 60 gal tank in noproblem. nice boat , reminds me of my old shamrock. bait , fuel etc. adds up when your bait dies. a few hundo on the proper tank is a drop in the bucket if you lose a have dozen trips due to dead or beat up bait. if you decide to put the tank in let me know , i'll help you , I've done well over a dozen setups like yours, retro fitting one tank into another.

got2fishsd and errock_22 like this.
  7. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
    The above three posts are dead on. I have a Ranger bay boat and had bait issues until I swapped it for a 50gal Blue Water. The “live wells” with the spray heads don’t work for anything out here other than a bleed out tank. Our bait needs moving water vs. East Coast bait. Believe me, tried all the mods trying to cheap out....with the cost of bait / fuel, you’ll be money ahead with more fish on the boat caught on trips with healthy, happy bait instead of a well full of chunk bait. It’s hard to bite the bullet for a premium install but it’s worth it.....after all, we pay to play, right?

8. MATTANZA

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}

it's all about keeping your bait as alive as possible.

Fishingguy likes this.
  9. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    Does the light in the tank work?

10. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    I can not emphasize how important bait quality (and quantity is) here in our fishery. agree with you on all points .

MATTANZA likes this.
  11. MATTANZA

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    the way you catch big bft , you must be part Italian , lol.

12. Postal719

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    Just fixed it this week.

13. Postal719

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    I agree. We did have a successful season last year. Many fish died offshore. We got a 127 BFT at the 43 on bait that made it out there in our crappy tank. We did have some turnover all season though. I'm gonna try the $20 version and see how it goes.

If I got an aftermarket tank, where would I put it?

14. Postal719

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    23' Polar Walkaround
    You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar!

15. MATTANZA

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    you'll need to mount it where you can get access to the inlet and the dump{outlet}. inlet hose i.d. is 1" or 1 1/8", and the dump is 1 1/2". it doesn't look like you have a removeable deck panel over your fuel tank.. you can mount it in front of the existing tank , but it might be a bitch to get the hoses and light wiring run.

16. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    This will likely greatly improve the situation. Bait needs light to properly orient itself in a tank.

17. 40Grit

40Grit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brown
    Boat:
    Radovich 34
    Dear Ryan, my Fiberglass guy opinion, is your tank is too small. my experience with fitting custom built tanks, especially square athwart ship designs, are problematic. The slug of water, just slams side to side. We have built a number of pressurized models with regulated discharges and sealed lids. But most tanks with more volume side to side seem to suffer. The same fate. Because I’m a glass guy, I’d re work that tank higher and a bit forward. It’s not as difficult as it sounds. We make a plug that’s the inside shape we need, that way the inside is smooth. We then build up the tank and bond it back into the boat. And post finish the thing.

Shewillbemine and MATTANZA like this.
  18. 40Grit

40Grit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Steve Brown
    Boat:
    Radovich 34
    Dear Ryan, my Fiberglass guy opinion, is your tank is too small. my experience with fitting custom built tanks, especially square athwart ship designs, are problematic. The slug of water, just slams side to side. We have built a number of pressurized models with regulated discharges and sealed lids. But most tanks with more volume side to side seem to suffer. The same fate. Because I’m a glass guy, I’d re work that tank higher and a bit forward. It’s not as difficult as it sounds. We make a plug that’s the inside shape we need, that way the inside is smooth. We then build up the tank and bond it back into the boat. And post finish the thing.

19. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    If you have reasons not to upgrade to a fiberglass (definitely the most expensive route), then you might consider what I did. I knew I would be selling my current boat sooner rather than later and didn't want to spend all the money on a custom leaning post/fiberglass tank combo.

So I purchased a 32 gallon plastic tank from West Marine (same as a Kodiak, just rebranded) and had someone professionally install it onto the deck. Yes, the pipes are exposed and transom mounted, but he did a good job matching the pipes with my existing ones for the outboard.

Now I keep an entire scoop + more alive the entire day. It doesn't weigh as much as a fiberglass tank for my smaller boat and I can also take it off easily by unscrewing four screws. The next owner will decide if he/she wants to buy the boat with or without the bait tank.

PM me if you want pics to text you.

40Grit likes this.
  20. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    steve aka 40GRIT is a stand up guy, had some dealing with him and hes as good a guy as you could ask for. if he says he can do it, consider it.
    also consider going with a pressurized system if it can be done. i made my tank a pressurized unit and it completely changed my bait situation. i lose almost no bait since!!!

40Grit likes this.