gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Bloody Bastard gave you the best advice but didn't tell you how to do it. I will.

Fist, never use the valve at you thru hull to adjust the water flow, you'll burn you pump before it's time. Put the adjusting valve between the pump and the tank.

Fill time is very important I check mine every trip. However it is only good for one thing and one thing only, to let you know your system is working the same today as it did last time. Other than that it has nothing to do with keeping your bait alive. This is something tank manufacturers came up with because everyone would ask them how to tell if they had the right size pump... there is no way they can answer that without installing it because all pumps pump different amounts with to many variables, distance to tank, how much up hill, hose size etc.

Everyone here would tell you that my tank wouldn't work for shit, i hear it every year but I have no bait roll like they do and at the end of the day I may lose a couple but they are almost all alive and swim strong. I don't even know who makes my tank I bought it 12 yrs. ago. I am limited on size because my boat is only an 18', 26 gal. I buy a scoop of bait, put 4 passes in that tank and the rest in my front tank. which means it is holding about 3/4 of a scoop. I don't have one tube going up the inside of my tank, I have two and it has never been a problem.
    Keeping you bait alive and healthy only requires 4 things, keep the O2 high, keep the temp the same as the water out side your boat, remove the ammonia from the water. All it takes to do this is change the water in your tank as fast as you can. I put as much fresh water in my tank as the overflow can handle, fill time is 3 min. It ISN'T THE AMOUNT of water going into your tank that will kill your bait it is the current it can create. There is NO current in my tank and my fill tubes are defused and adjustable so if i want some i can do that too. That takes care of 3 of the 4 things. Next I have used spray foam on the bottom of my lid so there is almost no air space inside the tank, similar to a pressurized tank, this keeps your bait from sloshing around and beating itself up on the way. We have used pony kegs for bait tanks in several boats and they will hold a 1/2 scoop all day with no problem using this same principle and they are probably 10 gal.

This is how you can achieve what Bloody Bastard was saying, and he is right on the money.

Upvote 0