acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Since a whole 4 people have read my boat rebuild thread, I thought i'd start a new one to see if this will get more answers.
I'm currently rebuilding a 17ish foot Klamath center console and now am at the point of finishing up rigging and the next step is to build a new lean post, bolt down the gas tank, as well as the bait tank.

My question is; should I put the bait tank behind the lean post, or the gas tank behind the lean post?
Pros and Cons:

Bait tank behind lean post -
Pros: More weight forward, fits nicely, convenient location, gas lines all aft in boat.
Cons: Have to run both input and overflow under deck. I would have to come out the stern of the deck with the overflow and up over the transom which could cause stuff (fish particles) to get stuck in the tube under the deck and smell like hell after awhile. No I wont drill for another through hull.

Gas tank behind lean post -
Pros: Much less lines running under deck, bait tank completely aft so bait doesn't get beat up, looks clean, bait tank plumbing easily run over the back of the transom.
Cons: Will having it that far from the motor cause starvation issues? Will i need some sort of fuel pump? More weight toward the rear of the boat.

What's your thoughts? I'm leaning towards having gas tank behind the lean post and the bait tank completely in the back.
Photo for reference (I will be building a new lean post though). And you can see the whole build thread here if anyone cares to check it out.

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I'd put the bait tank right behind the console and use it as a seat.The fuel tank forward shouldn't be an issue.Like already said,that bait tank up front will kill bait if it's rough.

Reactions: acefuture
Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I'd put the bait tank right behind the console and use it as a seat.The fuel tank forward shouldn't be an issue.Like already said,that bait tank up front will kill bait if it's rough.

I wouldn’t put it any further than behind the lean post. But my problem with haven’t it behind the console and as a seat is running the overflow line. It would have to go under deck and then over the transom, which would give it a low spot under the deck and fish particles could get stuck in it. That’s my main issue

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I wouldn’t put it any further than behind the lean post. But my problem with haven’t it behind the console and as a seat is running the overflow line. It would have to go under deck and then over the transom, which would give it a low spot under the deck and fish particles could get stuck in it. That’s my main issue
I know you don't want to drill another thru hull but putting the plumbing under the deck is a nice clean install.Drain the bait tank under the deck through the stern.I see you don't have the deck finished yet.Now's the time to do a clean installation.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I know you don't want to drill another thru hull but putting the plumbing under the deck is a nice clean install.Drain the bait tank under the deck through the stern.I see you don't have the deck finished yet.Now's the time to do a clean installation.

Deck is finished and in place. Probably should have thought about this earlier but I initially planned on it as originally pictured, with bait tank in rear and gas tank under lean post, but I thought about it for awhile last night and then thought about moving it forward. Either way lines will be ran below deck, it’s either bait tank lines or gas line. Having the bait tank in the rear would prevent me from having to drill another through hull. But I’m not sure if having the gas line be that long under deck if I’d need a fuel pump or not

12636C19-7610-4211-AFC7-5442C37EE659.jpeg

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
You shouldn't have an issue with fuel delivery with the tank forward.

Reactions: acefuture
Upvote 0