jbl_91762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
I have a 35 gallon oval tank with fill from pump at the bottom pushing water flow straight in and Drain is off the top on the long side. I always run pump full open and off the top of my head it is a rule 500gph and fills in roughly 7 minutes like many mentioned.. But at the end of the day 6-8 hours of fishing I dump maybe 1/3 of the fish out that are dead. Almost always get bait from Nachos in LBC, but was wondering if I have too much flow or not enough. Do I need to direct the water flow side ways so I can get the bait to try and swim in a circle? Or is that amount of die off normal? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shewillbemine

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
it's the tank input, and too small of a pump the input is shooting straight into the tank causing a lot of turbulence. connect a pvc 90 degree fitting to the input , and point it so it creates a circular flow. and get a bigger pump.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
How much bait are you buying? I have a 300gl and a full scoop causes them to roll. I always buy $30 worth and it lasts all day. +1 on getting a bigger pump.

tunacraze

Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
it's the tank input, and too small of a pump the input is shooting straight into the tank causing a lot of turbulence. connect a pvc 90 degree fitting to the input , and point it so it creates a circular flow. and get a bigger pump.
This!

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks, again I am not 100% sure what size pump. However it does fill in about 7 minutes. I've also heard that a bumpy ride out to Catalina will stress kill the fish. Maybe I will try a 1/2 scoop next time out.

acefuture

Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
That’s the wrong input. You are porting water into the drain hole. The input is on the side of the tank. It filters water up through the side and circulates it. That hole is the drain so at the end of the day you can open a valve and clear it out

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
That’s the wrong input. You are porting water into the drain hole. The input is on the side of the tank. It filters water up through the side and circulates it. That hole is the drain so at the end of the day you can open a valve and clear it out
Ok, I bought boat summer 2019 and it was like that already so I left it alone. Easy transfer and will give it a try. Should I direct the flow sideways to force a circular flow?

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
This is correct. That's the same or same design of a Kodiak bait tank. The input, as said, is on the side. That one should have a twist on cap (like a plastic soda cap) and you take it off when it's the end of the day to drain the water.

OP, I don't think you need to add a side flow barrier. I had the same one before and it worked just fine.

Some things to think about:

a. When running with live bait, you must slow down a bit and avoid banging.

b. Don't over crowd the bait tank.

c. When you learn what your bait tank is capable of, you'll also learn what "good" or "bad" bait looks like. My bait tank is super excellent now, so I can tell you that if 1/3 of the bait dies while I putt putt around, it's the damn bait.

Reactions: jbl_91762

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
This is correct. That's the same or same design of a Kodiak bait tank. The input, as said, is on the side. That one should have a twist on cap (like a plastic soda cap) and you take it off when it's the end of the day to drain the water.

OP, I don't think you need to add a side flow barrier. I had the same one before and it worked just fine.

Some things to think about:

a. When running with live bait, you must slow down a bit and avoid banging.

b. Don't over crowd the bait tank.

c. When you learn what your bait tank is capable of, you'll also learn what "good" or "bad" bait looks like. My bait tank is super excellent now, so I can tell you that if 1/3 of the bait dies while I putt putt around, it's the damn bait.
Guilty of speeding heading to Cat depending of seas of course, but not like I get air and drive the boat to handle the swells. Will try a 3/4 scoop next time cause thats about how many die off.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Btw, what's that on the bottom of the tank? It looks like the previous owner put a plastic base of some sort...possibly to displace the water flow?

Can you look at the side of the tank where the actual water input is supposed to go? Is there one? IIRC, the Kodiak design already has some type of barrier that prevents direct flow to the bait.

Wonder why the other guy did that.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Looks like the baffles are missing from that tank. That is a big part of the problem if true. The slots in the baffles are cut at an angle which directs the flow properly. The angle in the baffles was the patented part of the Kodiak tank.

I have the same tank and the baffles have broken apart. I don't think they are uv protected and the sun had made them brittle.

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
Tank is fine. Pics don’t show baffles. Your water input should be where that pvc valve is. If you’re worried about access to the tank drain don’t. You can always put a quick connection to the input line and just pop it off to drain. 1/3 die off over a day isn’t bad.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Tank is fine. Pics don’t show baffles.
Sure looks like there is no baffle on the exhaust side in that last pic. You can see the fitting he is using for the input. In the first pic there is no shadow of the baffle and it looks like there is some sealant on the holes the nylon screws that hold the baffle are. The input side cannot been seen.

In a Kodiak tank those baffles are very important.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Too much turbulence. Not enough flow. Not managing your bait throughout the day.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
it's your input, i've fixed dozens of setups like yours, once again, the input is at zero degrees , not 90 , and your pump doesn't have enough flow. the baffling is designed to keep the bait from clogging the output, the black fitting is the input , not the drain . it looks like a 1/2" or 3/4" fitting. get npt to slip pvc fitting and screw it on , and change your pump. it's better to have a pump with more flow and regulate it down.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
The input baffle is designed to diffuse and direct the flow.
The output side is to screen and draw from the full water column. As others have said the fill should go on the end not the side where you have it now.

7 minute fill is fine. Rule does not make a 200GPH pump so you have something else.

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
Sure looks like there is no baffle on the exhaust side in that last pic. You can see the fitting he is using for the input. In the first pic there is no shadow of the baffle and it looks like there is some sealant on the holes the nylon screws that hold the baffle are. The input side cannot been seen.

In a Kodiak tank those baffles are very important.
my Kodiak is oval, like this one. The intake is 90 degrees to the exhaust and the drain. There are 3 holes. i think my tank is like a 22 or 27 but the intake is on the curve, not the flat. If the baffles are gone they’re easy to ghetto fab and replace.

Reactions: sickcat

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
it's your input, i've fixed dozens of setups like yours, once again, the input is at zero degrees , not 90 , and your pump doesn't have enough flow. the baffling is designed to keep the bait from clogging the output, the black fitting is the input , not the drain . it looks like a 1/2" or 3/4" fitting. get npt to slip pvc fitting and screw it on , and change your pump. it's better to have a pump with more flow and regulate it down.
My experience with kodiak tanks is that they’re good to go. Mine sure was. This tank has built in baffle, this guy has 2/3 of his holes plumbed wrong. Put bait pump outflow line into the pvc valve, if it’s still a 7 min fill it’ll work fine. Only issue to investigate is if flow on plane is good.

NaClAddict

Jul 18, 2008
torrance
Name
Greg
Boat
22 glasstron
Ok, I bought boat summer 2019 and it was like that already so I left it alone. Easy transfer and will give it a try. Should I direct the flow sideways to force a circular flow?
the baffles are built in, hence the broken curve on one side. These tanks do it right.

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Learned alot from you guys and greatly appreciate it. I have always wondered why there are tiny holes with filled with glue up the side where water is pushed in. It is obviously from the baffles that are no longer there as the tank is probably old and they broke. Will be doing a search on how to make new baffles.

I have no clue what the bulge is on the bottom of tank, my guess is it is a drain if it were mounted and no hoses can get in the way.