Bait Tank Advise

nickarino

Jul 20, 2012
Huntington Beach
Name
Nick
Boat
23' Sea Ox
So I just picked up this 16' Delta aluminum skiff. Rigging it up to be able to hit the kelp beds on a calm day, meaning I need a bait tank. I have narrowed it down to either a 14 gallon round kodiak or a 13 gallon rectangular Aquaworld. My question is which one, and where? I have added some pics with some sketches of each possibility, and one with all three superimposed on together. I am actually leaning to the 13 gallon going lengthwise down the centerline so that I have easier access to the stern where the bilge and the battery switch are. Going to put the overflow over the transom and intake from the existing through-hull. Opinions?

IMG_20160204_223733213_HDR.jpg IMG_20160204_223631171_HDR.jpg 3 tanks superimposed.jpg 13 Gallon Rectangular Length.jpg 13 Gallon Rectangular.jpg 14 Gallon Round Aft.jpg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Round is always better. How does the skiff run? Would it be best at transom or in front of the console?

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
Round... NOT in front of console, keep it in the center of the boat, make it so you can walk around it and access it from any direction. bait will get beat up in front of console. water is 8-9 lbs per gal. to far back could hurt getting on plane, center and behind driver

Reactions: Carl and Spoons
Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Round and not in the back by the motor. Not in front of the "steering Wheel" ... Basically right between your white plastic rod holders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

icscommand

Chief
Dec 19, 2004
Rancho San Diego
Name
Dean
Boat
20' Fish-rite CC
i'd use one the smallest Kodiak tanks that have two outlets. Going outside switch outflow to lower and inside fill it up.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Upvote 0

brokeass boater

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 23, 2010
Norcal's Brentwood
Name
Gregg
Boat
24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
Nice little skiff, looks like the 20" transom with a splash welI, I like it. I couldn't tell what size motor that is, It looks small so some weight forward will help. Like other have posted bait tank towards the stern just off center of balance and move your Battery to the bow locker,,,gregg

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
here is my 2c... what has said above is true but there is another option as far as placement... keep it in the back like you have it in your diagrams and move your battery(s) (and fuel tank if you have only 1 battery) forward to balance out the 112 lbs. of the tank... doing this keeps a clean look and plumbing is easier... also your "threw hull" pick up is it out the stern like most aluminum bass boats? if so it will not work when you are on plane so a bottom mounted hi speed threw hull is needed... see image below... also your over flow you had said put your over flow "over" the transom... that's fine as lone as the hose does not have to go uphill to drain. that's my 2c take it how you would like... and that is going to be a sweet little rig when you get done... how big is the motor on it?

906059-scoop-strainer-marine-boat-plumbing.jpg

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Close, I would not want a plastic thru hull PU on my tin boat! Just mount the thing (Pump) to the transom. Put the tank just in front of the motor(Your bait will thank you). Consider relocating the battery to the console and the fuel forward. I would most likely just mount the tank and see how she runs and fished before making any other changes.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Bman and I are usually pretty much in agreement, however I would put the tank forward and center, keep the access to the area showing under your transom as open as possible and going forward lets you move around more.

As for the drain for the overflow... your drain line can go up hill, mine does, what I think he meant is... where ever the drain line exits out of the boat must be lower than the overflow in the tank. As long as it is lower the water will drain out of the tank fine. Mine goes under the deck and back to a thru hull in the transom that is above the waterline but lower than the overflow.. The draw back is there will be water in the drain line when not in use. I put the garden hose in the tank after cleaning the boat, fill the tank till clean water runs out the drain line flushing out anything in the line, this also flushes your pump with fresh water. turn the water off and disconnect the hose from the hose bib, this will siphon out the water in the tank, use a sponge to remove any water left and wipe down the tank, never use soap or cleaners on your tank.

I agree with Bman on the thru hull, stay away from the transom if possible. You want to stay away from any air bubbles, not only do you not want them going into your tank, there is a good chance you will lose the prime in your pump. If you put in a thru hull, put a shut off valve on it and then your pump. you want to be able to stop any water coming into the boat if there is a problem any where in that system and you want to be able to work on or replace the pump and you can't do that if you can't stop the water from going threw it. Don't use that valve to regulate the water flow to the tank, put in one AFTER the pump to do that. I like to have some clear hose in my feed line that I can see at a glance so I can see that the pump is working and there is water going through it.

I am assuming this is your first boat, since you have water coming into something that you don't want any water coming into... be prepared for an unexpected problem. I would recommend, along with your other safety items, a product called "stay afloat" they sell at west marine, you can save some money and go to home depot and buy a few wax toilet rings for setting toilets. This is just bees wax, but works well for emergency repairs to keep water from coming into your boat from a hole or broken valve.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions, lots of people here with lots of info who are willing to share... just remember to always ask the most important question, "WHY" Every thing is done or done a certain way for a reason, the why explains that reason... common sense will tell you if the information is right or bullshit. Some times what you know, what you mean, and what you say isn't exactly the same thing... or what you said and what was heard, isn't exactly what you meant... confused? welcome to my world.

Reactions: bman440440
Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
Sorry I almost forgot to mention something important. On your thru hull pick up for your pump... I always use brass pickups, however I am working with a fiberglass boat and yours is aluminum. You need to talk with someone who is more familiar with aluminum boats than I am, what I do know is that you don't want electrolysis which bringing these two different metals together might cause. You probably want to divorce this connection like a dielectric connector on a hot water heater separates the copper from the galvanized. It is important to get some information from some experts about what thru hull to use and I can't give you accurate info on that.

I won't pass along info I don't feel confident with and have no problem saying, "I don't know" and this is one of those times. good luck. Someone you might ask who would know is a member named "goatram", he is in the Washington forums all the time, tell him I sent you. he knows a lot about aluminum boats and is a cool dude.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Sorry I almost forgot to mention something important. On your thru hull pick up for your pump... I always use brass pickups, however I am working with a fiberglass boat and yours is aluminum. You need to talk with someone who is more familiar with aluminum boats than I am, what I do know is that you don't want electrolysis which bringing these two different metals together might cause. You probably want to divorce this connection like a dielectric connector on a hot water heater separates the copper from the galvanized. It is important to get some information from some experts about what thru hull to use and I can't give you accurate info on that.

I won't pass along info I don't feel confident with and have no problem saying, "I don't know" and this is one of those times. good luck. Someone you might ask who would know is a member named "goatram", he is in the Washington forums all the time, tell him I sent you. he knows a lot about aluminum boats and is a cool dude.

In a tin boat use Marelon fittings. No electrolysis issues and they pass the same USCG tests bronze fittings do.

Upvote 0

Alan

Dec 15, 2003
Ventura
atlantisutility.com
Name
Alan
Boat
Skipjack 25
nice boat and great posts above. whatever you end up with fill it up with water and test before you bolt down and plumb. You may be surprised how a few inches one way or the other changes the ride.

Upvote 0