Bait Stop Etiquette

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
If there are any newbs to tuna fishing out there like myself, yes, there really is a bait stop etiquette!

I got this curse of a bug and have tried to learn as much about this sport as I can. I grew up in the era of you are going to participate in a sport, then be a sportsman.

I am grateful for the information some of our great locals have shared with me.

When it comes to bait stops, never encroach on a boat that is working the fish. Converting to a bait stop from a troll is hard enough without someone coming in hot and killing a bite. Stay 200 yards away unless you are invited in. Don't troll within 200 yards of them either.

If you only get out once or a couple of times a year, you want to get fish. But so does the guy who's party you are crashing. They have bought the same ice, gas, bait, etc and want to get fish too.

If you are on the same tack as boat in front of you and they hook up, turn quickly away from that boat. Give them room to play their fish and convert to a bait stop.

If a boat is working bait and is fortunate enough to plug on that stop and are leaving, they may invite you in. sometimes you might hear on the radio "we're plugged but the fish are still playing. Approach up wind and slide in this hole (Norm, getcher mind out of the deep part of the gutter).

If you are new, or didn't have folks explain some of this stuff to you and how this helps everyone play will in our little sandbox, hopefully you can pick up some info here.

I would invite some of you guys with a lot more experience to chime in and share some good direction too. I am by no means an expert and am not implying that by starting a thread, so let's hear from more folks on this.

Tight lines and bloody decks!

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
So assuming it's okay to tie off on the hot boat is frowned upon? Doesn't everyone deserve a fish? It's like Birthright I thought...

:D

Good advice but unfortunately in the world of fishing there is a level of no work just accept mentality. I hope your post impacts someone but I fear we have a society issue not a fishing issue. U are gonna have to find a way to connect to those who believe their happiness is guaranteed above all...

I get chased here and there laker fishing here In Colorado..if only I could send them a nice note saying we have ridden them hard and released them wet come back in a week or 2 this spot is wrecked lol

20190815_225103.jpg

Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
Just troll as close as you can when someone’s on fish.

Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
My slipmate told me he just shadows the all rivers boats and when he sees them stop on the troll he just pulls up next to them.

Super nice well meaning guy but had no idea that was in poor taste.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I heard other sport boats talking about it on the beach. just not nice behavior. is a big ocean. i don't believe that just because someone has a charter ticket that they deserve one ounce more respect than anybody else on the water.

Courtesy is courtesy. Just don't crash another boat's bait stop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Tell him to try that move on a commercial boat and let us know how it works out.

Yeah I don’t think it’s cool at all but what are you gonna do assault the guy? Call him up and tell him to make way. Lots of guys out there like that unfortunately. Some don’t know any better.

Upvote 0

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I have some expired flares and the need to understand the range of them. You know, it's a safety test of sorts.

Sorry that I didn't happen to see the asshole who was nearby:pee:

Oh, and I had a newb (my bossLOL) keeping the "boat straight" while I used the 5-gal bucket facilities in the cuddy. Might have been those 2 bbq burritos with hot sauce, but he blamed little 'ol ME for his puking problem that he had for the next 3 hours:Emoticon_Potty_Time.

Memories were made :boobies:

All newbs! Great day overall, bossman on left

736EEF1D-B0A9-429D-B7E8-F5F958C3144B.jpeg

Upvote 0

WaKaTuna

Oct 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
Name
Shawn
Boat
65 Viking (cpt), 2850 kingfisher (mine)
Start a thread and take pictures of the offenders, I had someone roll through at full tilt 100 yards off my stern yesterday when I was on a stop. Honestly they may not know what they are doing wrong. I’m not gonna mention the name cause they do fish a lot and I do believe they made a mistake and didn’t do it on purpose. A week ago a smaller boat trolled circles around me when I was on a stop until he got bit, I seriously think they just haven’t been taught.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Jeezis 9 Ball. Nothing like your crew having to call for hazmat after the bucket duty.

That aside, very far aside, that is why i brought up this post-- some may not know better-- yet. nobody wants to give or receive a smack down verbal or physical (unless you scored very "good" on those anti social scoring tests as a kid).

Nobody owns the water but giving respect to a bait stop perimeter is a good thing.

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
  • Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    A loud Bull Horn or VHF/Hailer with a well thought out response, (maybe written down in advance), will help most learn the first time.

Maybe something like this:

Rent_Bullhorn_Wright_Group_Denver_USA.jpg

The Dicks of the world will just continue to be Dicks and they have a whole other list of deterrents that should not be discussed here.

Always take a GOOD picture of the boat showing it's name if possible and post it up if they were constantly repeating the bait crashing offense as they deserve zero mercy IMO.

WD

Reactions: FVSerenity
    Upvote 0

C-Dawg

Jun 29, 2011
    Elk Plain, WA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
    I had someone roll through at full tilt 100 yards off my stern yesterday when I was on a stop.
    Okay, I've never tuna fished, so I admit I wouldn't have known any better. 100 yards is quite a distance to me, but it's too close when on a bait stop? People run by on plane within 30-40 yards all the time while salmon, ling, or halibut fishing. Are tuna really so skittish that you have to stay over 100 yards away? Makes me wonder how someone ever hooks up while trolling.

But I don't wanna be "that guy" when I finally do get out to fish tuna. So what is acceptable? 150? 200?

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
    Jan 6, 2012
    Black Diamond
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    JuiceBox2
    I agree is annoying...100 yards? I have seen these Grady pricks 20 yards off our stops!!

And then what happened??? The Juice got plugged with all the albis you can eat.

We have the choice to be bugged by shit and at end of day the troll by’s have minimal to no affect on your day....unless your sensitive and let it.

Upvote 0

T2shortB

Nice fanny pack Fag!!!
    Jul 6, 2009
    Belfair, WA
    Name
    Todd Brown
    Boat
    Defiance 250EX GOT FISH?
    Okay, I've never tuna fished, so I admit I wouldn't have known any better. 100 yards is quite a distance to me, but it's too close when on a bait stop? People run by on plane within 30-40 yards all the time while salmon, ling, or halibut fishing. Are tuna really so skittish that you have to stay over 100 yards away? Makes me wonder how someone ever hooks up while trolling.

But I don't wanna be "that guy" when I finally do get out to fish tuna. So what is acceptable? 150? 200?

Yes, it is too close. The tuna will sound and move on. I have had a good bait stop going and some asshat troll by me about 100yds and guess what, no more playie play... I don't go any closer than 1/4 to a 1/2 mile of someone on a stop. It is a huge ocean and tons of tuna out there. If you are in eye sight of someone on a bait stop, then you know you are in good water, keep trolling away from them and you'll get bit! I have no issues with letting someone know that they are fucking up a bait stop either! Salmon don't really give a shit, but tuna are cruising around 40-50 feet down. the purpose of trolling is to get the school up and convert to live bait, if you don't keep the interested or something spokes them, they are gone!

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Stay back 1/4 mile if you see someone on a bait stop! Troll around and find your own fish unless they specifically call you in. If someone calls out and gives you numbers that means there are fish over here but stay back 1/4 mile. 400-500 yards. If I have a buddy boat I may call them in and take the chance they will blow my bait stop, other than that I probably won’t unless I am plugged and getting ready to leave.
    I call out numbers a lot but that does not mean come in and blow my bait stop:)

It’s just common courtesy.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours

It’s a different game all together:)

Think of it like fishing from the shore while some kid standing next to you is throwing rocks in the water:)

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    100 or so yards is usually enough. Doing circles around folks who are on fish is poor form. Do bait crashers always cause fish to sound? Nope. Has it happened quite a bit? Yes. Have we flat out lost schools in the midst of wide open, with nobody else around? Yes.

We’ve called lots of boats in and been called in. Come in above us or to the sides, not below us. That is, don’t make it so we end up drifting into you. Any fish you pick up above us are fish we’ve already gone by. Rarely, if ever, are our lines out more than 50 yards. Could fish be following our chum and you end up “short stopping” us and catching those? Perhaps, but we are usually marking shitpots under the boat and you’re not touching those.

What does kill a bait stop is forgetting to chum and losing fish. Most believe, as do I, that when we break one fish off, he bails and drags a few buddies with him. Lose a few in 10 minutes and you might lose your school.

Upvote 0

TexMojoII

Well, Shit!
    Jul 18, 2010
    Lacey, Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    If there are any newbs to tuna fishing out there like myself, yes, there really is a bait stop etiquette!

I got this curse of a bug and have tried to learn as much about this sport as I can. I grew up in the era of you are going to participate in a sport, then be a sportsman.

I am grateful for the information some of our great locals have shared with me.

When it comes to bait stops, never encroach on a boat that is working the fish. Converting to a bait stop from a troll is hard enough without someone coming in hot and killing a bite. Stay 200 yards away unless you are invited in. Don't troll within 200 yards of them either.

If you only get out once or a couple of times a year, you want to get fish. But so does the guy who's party you are crashing. They have bought the same ice, gas, bait, etc and want to get fish too.

If you are on the same tack as boat in front of you and they hook up, turn quickly away from that boat. Give them room to play their fish and convert to a bait stop.

If a boat is working bait and is fortunate enough to plug on that stop and are leaving, they may invite you in. sometimes you might hear on the radio "we're plugged but the fish are still playing. Approach up wind and slide in this hole (Norm, getcher mind out of the deep part of the gutter).

If you are new, or didn't have folks explain some of this stuff to you and how this helps everyone play will in our little sandbox, hopefully you can pick up some info here.

I would invite some of you guys with a lot more experience to chime in and share some good direction too. I am by no means an expert and am not implying that by starting a thread, so let's hear from more folks on this.

Tight lines and bloody decks!
    I have no problem if someone comes in on my baitstop, bottom line, more boats, more chum, keep the school. Bust you cant come in like nascar, get up drift at low speed, slide in and start chumming.

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
  • May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    3 and counting!
    Someone comes close, just reel up and when he stops do drive bys continually.
    If he moves tail him and do it again and again.

If he continues troll see how many lines you can cut off!

Dog that fucker all day!, call other boats in to help! Hopefully he won't do it any more.

No discipline no change!

Ducker!

Upvote 0