justinb

Almost A Member
Jan 10, 2012
Riverside
Name
Justin
Boat
23ft striper "Reel Happy"
I need some help. My bait pump failed. I don't want to use the same kind anymore. The inlet size is 1 1/2in and same with the outlet. Can I get a pump that has a 1in diameter inlet and outlet or do I have to stay with the 1 1/2 in? My bait tank is 120gl. Also what pump do you recommend?
Thank you

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
You've got a pretty good sized tank. Bait pump capacity would be the main issue there. If the pump is rated for and able to provide the proper amount of flow to the tank you may be able to go to a smaller port. I think you'll have to install and time it to make sure the tank fills within the normal specs. If you're not restricting the flow of the new pump or the input port to the tank you should be O.K.

justinb
justinb
The pump in there now is a Rule centrifuge pump. I put a inline filter because of a tiny piece of kelp gets in it out will shut off. Installing the filter didn't seem to help. Do you have any knowledge on this pump?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have a jabsco cyclone low pressure high volume pump on a 90 gal tank. Been great for the past 5 years.

Reactions: catharsis
    Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    x3 on Cyclone.
    You have a huge tank for a 23' boat. Is it a PE or Bluewater?
    If so the inlet to the tank is likely 3/4 or 1" with an 1 1/2" outlet. So, there must be a reducer inline with your current system and I wonder if you have an 1 1/2" seacock?

justinb
    justinb
    The seacock is 1 1/2in. Do you know if I can put a reduce to 1in and not have any problem?
    Upvote 0
    justinb
    justinb
    It's on my 45ft sportfisher. My striper only has a 40gl
    Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    Do you run your generator as soon as you disconnect the shore power?
    If so you might want to look at a 120v jacuzzi pump.

You could put a reduced fitting on the output side of your strainer.

Reactions: oceanjake
    justinb
    justinb
    I don't run the generator unless I'm at anchor for a long time.

Do you know if the Jabsco will or or enough for the size of tank?
    Upvote 0
    The Right Kind
    The Right Kind
    Maybe someone with a big tank will chime in here. My neighbor has a 12v backup pump but his tank isn't that big. You could call Randy at BlueWater Bait Systems (714) 435-1299
    Upvote 0
    justinb
    justinb
    Thank you
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    I have a jabsco cyclone low pressure high volume pump on a 90 gal tank. Been great for the past 5 years.
    Looking around for a pump myself, currently using a shurflo 2000 on a 85 gal tank, last about two seasons maybe three if I am lucky.
    what is the amperage draw of the Jabsco Cyclone?. how much bait are you carrying in your 90 gal tank and do you find approx. 1800 gal per hour adequate.
    Thanks.

The Right Kind
    The Right Kind
    Amp draw depends on head pressure I believe. Instructions say max 9 amp, 10 amp fuse.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Looking around for a pump myself, currently using a shurflo 2000 on a 85 gal tank, last about two seasons maybe three if I am lucky.
    what is the amperage draw of the Jabsco Cyclone?. how much bait are you carrying in your 90 gal tank and do you find approx. 1800 gal per hour adequate.
    Thanks.
    I dont know the amp draw.
    I carry 2-3 scoops no problem

Upvote 0

Garrison

Garrison
    May 21, 2008
    Temecula
    Name
    Garrison
    Boat
    Mikelson 43’
    If space is a concern or the pump is located in a wet location, I have had really good luck with the Rule Tournament Series pump, with the brass base and impeller. I had many very quiet, trouble free years of use. I installed a cyclone on the last boat and had to switch it out a couple times before I got one that functioned properly. When I finally got one that worked, it seemed to work well.

In my experience keeping the plumbing as simple and clean with the least amount of fittings and bends is as important as the pump itself. Elbows, angles and valves kill flow, requiring the pump to work harder and be sized bigger than it needs to be.

Garrison

Upvote 0