Bait problems at the Hidden

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by sphar, Sep 12, 2010.

1. sphar

sphar Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    18' invader
    Went to Hidden on Sat. Found fish all day but no takers. Looked at the bait and all the scales were gone. Heard other people complaining about the same problem. Anyone that got there bait after 3:30am from a certain hold had grap for bait. What makes this happen? Bad cure? How can I avoid this for next time? Thanks

2. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Keep in mind how many people were in the water, they went through 17 pens by 2:30 am. Bait probably didn't have time to cure. Our bait wasn't great and we lost half throughout the day. Still used it for chumming so it wasn't a big deal for us. Lots of call out for bait on the water yesterday.

3. Steve9256

Steve9256 Steve and Chris

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    17' Logic CC
    Same here long ride to fish Bait Sucked.

4. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    Don't throw your dead bait overboard. Hang onto it and when you find a good spot of biting fish try chunking it. It works.

5. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Yep!......my bait all died too! WTF?..........does your bait pump need to work all the time?......

6. jcomeaux

jcomeaux Newbie

Name:
    jim comeaux
    Boat:
    28 ft Nauset "Dumbo"
    our bait on Saturday was all crap, no scales and all red...we also asked for a full scoop, tipped $10 and got an extra pass and we got a light scoop at best...guys at the bait receiver were lame young punks....no excuse for poor service and bad bait!

7. Lost Fish

Lost Fish Coffee??? Beer!!! Yes!

Name:
    Reb
    Boat:
    Lost Fish

That is a good question... I always thought that if there was water in the take then they should be fine!

8. Lou W

Lou W registered offender

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    Rabbit Hole

I've never had a problem with the guys at the receiver. With the demand they have had this past week its no wonder the bait is rough. And, again, with the demand maybe they just didn't the inventory to be as generous as you expect them to be

9. I hate seals

I hate seals Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bryan Z
    Boat:
    36' Hatteras
    We got bait Saturday in Mission Bay at 3:30 AM, 4 scoops and all but 3 lived all day. Excellent bait. And we get our stuff from the same cash sales boxes you guys do.

But yes, lots of boats means they go through a lot of bait. Next time either leave way early or put the boat in the night before and get bait and sleep in the bay.

10. fishnazzi

fishnazzi Mostly just LURKING anymore...........

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Which one.............
    No such thing as bad bait. There is fresh bait which sucks, and in the summer when the fish are biting thats what you get. You could have cured bait but that is saved for the LR boats........don't start about having a right to it.........10% off the top goes to the bait company for their right.

Be happy you have bait at all. Many of the ports along the west coast do not................Want bait in them you get to catch it yourself............by the way you could also do that catch your own.............bet you will be happy to buy it after that. Sorry your bait was dry, I hope that the next time you get bait it is better.

11. stp

stp Fish Hooker

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    Best first mate on your boat
    It's not like the guys working the bait barge have a say in what kind of bait they sell you.....they get it from their boats and it is what it is. Their attitude can vary, but often times, that is directly related to your attitude towards them. Mission bay tends to have worse attitudes and lighter scoops, we ALWAYS go to San Diego and have built a good relationship with several of the guys out there by talking to them, being nice to them, bringing them food, offering them drinks, and tipping them (even though I know it is expensive already) but hey, expensive dinners don't mean you don't tip for that, right?

Get to know the guys and make yourself some new friends and you might see the quality of bait/service improve.
    Also, are you sure you are not overloading your tanks? I wonder how many people really pay attention to how much they pack in their tank. Just because it said it was a two scoop tank at the shop, doesn't necessarily mean it will hold two scoops, when you really don't know just how much two scoops is anyways.......and how fast are you motoring out? The slower you go, the less the bait will get beat on the ride out. If you are leaving at 3:30 AM to get to the fishing grounds (50 miles) by sunrise, you are going too fast and no wonder your bait are all red and dead by then.
    I am guessing it is more your fault than the bait guy's fault.

12. baaadlybent

baaadlybent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
    Damn Shawn! I can't seem to focus on work after seeing your avatar...

13. sushiboy67

sushiboy67 Newbie

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    none
    hello, the bait pump needs to be running the whole time. it provides oxygen for the fish.

thanks,
    john

14. yft1979

yft1979 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    -
    In not sure you caught on to ConSeaMate's humor.

15. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    I'm with ya' bro.

I read somewhere that sometimes the scales will stick to the molds during the manufacturing process. They need to improve on quality control, maybe a few tweeks to the software would upgrade those robot punks as well.

16. 24answer

24answer Newbie

Name:
    j.s.
    Boat:
    24 answer
    bait dies... it is not the bait docks fault...
    it is not costco....

17. Zululander

Zululander Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Grady White Custom 22
    If you dont want crap bait, then invest in a really good bait tank. I have a Pacific Edge tank that can hold three scoops or more. Then i only put one scoop.

Never overfill your bait tank with too mauch bait.

18. mercerm

mercerm Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    24 skipjack
    Looks like the bait worked perfectly...

19. baloot-boy

baloot-boy Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Wellcraft 202 Fisherman
    A rough ride out and a crowded bait tank will kill your chovies and dines.

20. Sherm

Sherm aka: The Sherminator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak
    We got ours bait on Friday at noon and didn't have a problem all day. The later at night you got your bait the newer in the holds it was. If it hasn't cured it doesn't last.