Bait Leaders For Wahoo - 1st Timer - Is This Enough/Right?

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Amy and I are doing our 1st true Long Range trip this October 2 - 12 on Intrepid. Stoked! Gearing up for Wahoo live bait. Is this right and enough?

Hooks 2, 1/0, 3/0, 4/0 and 6/0.
Titanium leader 2 x 35#, 4 x 45#, 2 x 55#
200 leader sleeves #2 & #3
40 #4 black welded rings
36 black #5 swivels

PXL_20210803_214112728.jpg

PXL_20210803_214107397.jpg

PXL_20210803_214059822.jpg

PXL_20210803_214049362.jpg

PXL_20210803_214040063.jpg

Mark (Effigy) texted me some advice. Wire goes through the sleeve 3 times. Thinking 20" is probably about right for length?

I tested the finished product, held up lifting 31# of lead with the 3/0 hook and the 45# wire. Thinking this should be plenty strong enough for Wahoo, didn't try lifting more.

Finally, better to make these up ahead of time at my leisure? Or, wait until on board, and make exactly the size wire/size hooks the crew recommends?

Thanks in advance for any input/guidance!

Rod

PXL_20210803_214040063.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
Aug 22, 2020
Opelika al
Name
Quinn L Chenelle
Boat
Independence
have never fished bait for wahoo, if it not my turn on the troll. Troll gets hit start throwing the bombs

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    What you have is the right stuff. I'd recommend making up your leaders ahead of time with rings only. You can add the hooks once you know the size of bait you'll be using. K2K is great stuff but pricey to have a bunch of leaders tied up with big hooks that may never see saltwater. I made up several 1/2" pvc tubes with a glued cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other. I also drilled a hole in the threaded cap to tie some 100# mono to the inside and tied the other end of it to the pvc pipe so the cap stays with the leader tube. Doing this my leaders are already set to add a hook, tie on and go. I start with cutting 22" of leader pre-tied/crimped to work with and have been happy with my results.

Upvote 0

red_teppin

Aug 8, 2003
    San Diego
    Visit site
    Name
    Boat
    no
    More than enough tackle. Ti wire leaders are usually good for at least a couple of fish.

As mentioned above, make the loops smaller, especially the top one. Bait fishing is the most finessy method to fish wahoo. Think stealth!

If you are going to rig in the galley, please spread out some newspaper or cloth to catch the wire clipping that are like needles.

1. Be careful running around the deck chasing your hooked wahoo.
    2. Watch out for casts, and watch behind you casting.
    3. Secure or cover all the big wahoo trolling lure hooks.
    4. Pause your bait/jig for a couple of seconds before bring it over the rail.

Upvote 0

Muzza76

Jul 23, 2019
    westhills
    Name
    Shane J Murray
    Boat
    none
    Usually you have a travel day if you are going to the rocks.

Suggest you make them up on the boat. The crew can help you to make sure they are made correctly and as suggested dont leave any left over metal to jab anyone.

You can also then just make them up to match the bait size if you want to use bait and then you dont waste making up a bunch of hook sizes you wont use. I only used 2/0 hooks last year. Hooks have to be matched to bait.

Last year I think I used a total of 2 wire leaders. Everything was caught on Wahoo bombs or the troll (all on Nomad 200 DTX minnow lures).

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Personally I like 2/0 hooks and you have everything but those. You have plenty of wire. More often than not my titanium wire leaders last until the hooks get bent removing them from the wahoo. Make sure you have plenty of bombs.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Thanks for all the input! Very helpful and appreciated.
    • I will make leaders on the ride south, with input from Intrepid Crew re hook size, leader length and strength
    • Smaller loops - makes sense!
    • I'm making leaders for 4 - our friends Steve and Alice are also on this trip. Better to have too much than not enough...
    • Yes, I will have plenty of Bombs
    • I do have a 3/4 full pack of 2/0 hooks, same model, I will bring these as well
    Thanks!

Upvote 0

bluefinkiller25

Working supports my fishing habit....
    Feb 16, 2010
    Oakland, Ca
    Name
    Zach
    Boat
    Flash/Flash II
    After what I witnessed on a trip last year, I would test a few of your connections just to make sure your crimps are good. A fellow passenger tried out titanium for the first time, and he went zero for twelve on wahoo due to failed crimped connections.

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    See above I dead lifted 31# of lead no problem with 3/0 hook and 45# wire
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Toadpole

Toad
    Aug 7, 2017
    Yreka
    Name
    Jim Todd
    Boat
    State of Jefferson kayak
    I love the titanium for bait. They last a while. The only problem is the loops grab other people’s line. I’m thinking of putting a dab of epoxy at the end of my loop to see if it holds up and not grab some many people’s lines on the retrieve. That or just shorten it. The stuff is really durable. There are video demos on you tube on how to do a figure 8 not. It looks pretty cool. The crimps are easy if you follow the Alan Tani video on YouTube.

Upvote 0