Bait/hook size?

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Name
KB
Boat
Outer Limits
I agree that keeping the big ones is not responsible, I'm not out slaughtering groupers, nor do I advocate anglers do that, I stay well within the regulations and safety release the vast majority of what I catch, and hope other anglers do the same.
Good to hear and didn’t mean to be critical. I hope that if we’re responsible LR fishing may be an option for our grandkids.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
What type of 20oz slider are you using and where did you get them?? Next trip down to the ridge, I'll try that technique. What's the biggest size Y.T or Skippies have you used and got bit on?? Did you also use the slider and clip the skippies (tail) for the grouper?

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I have a friend who makes them for me, I have them from 11-20 ounces, I normally fly line a skipjack, groupers will eat any size skippy, I shoulder hook them with the top lobe cut on the tail fin, let em swim out, reel it in slowly and repeat. Yellowtail a small one maybe 5lbs on a slider is almost a guarantee bite on the ridge. I don't spend a ton of time fishing for groupers, if were anchored and there's wahoo around, I'm up on the bow throwing iron most of the time. But if there's some good hard bottom that's holding groupers I will give it some time, if preferred bait is catchable.

Upvote 0