• Total voters

Lukeaday

Feb 21, 2012
australia
Name
Luke day
Boat
keen az
All my overhead surf casting reels are straight 15-30 lb mono mainline with a heavy shock leader of about 40-70 lb mono.I do tournament distance casting and have a pretty powerful swing during the cast and can cast a 6 oz and bait 150mtrs!

I find that braid will dig into the spool and snap off on the release of the cast with my style

fisherman from

LONG BEACH
Mar 13, 2010
Longo Beach, Cali
Name
johnny
Boat
1975 monark and caddis navigator 2
depends on what kinda fishing.i go 50lb spectra top shot 30-40lb flouro.

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
mission viejo
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
Straight Fluoro on my Baitcasters... Line to line connections are a liability.
Totally the reason you never see any line connections when fishing Cows, or kelp cutters, or in fishing in general, line connectors are weak and will break! Never fish with line connections of any kind, swivels included! No weak points, no excuses. Crimp to the hook, even a good knot will fail before 100%!

chamackO

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 12, 2003
SoCal and NorCal
Name
Alex
Boat
none
piggy back on this question. what pound test are you guys using as leaders when throwing swimbaits and LC? given the target is likely large perch and halibut, i'd say 15-20lb test. but i'm curious to see what you guys are throwing

tubbytuba

Mar 29, 2013
Highland
Name
Robert Tarbaux
Boat
Tropic Thunder
i use 12lb p-line floroclear. i buy it in 600 yard spools and its cheaper than braid and floro, only 7 bucks a spool. it has amazing knot strength, good shock absorbing stretch, but not too much, and good abrasion resistance. it is also versatile, i can chuck almost any fineness bait with it if i decide to mix it up. better and cheaper alternative to full floro. we aint fishing for trout people.

Good Hunting

thuy619

Feb 5, 2006
san diego
Name
thuy
Boat
kayak xfactor
Some pros recommend heavy floro leader if you use braid cuz it tends to wrap up on the treble hooks and floro sinks

Reactions: Nuyabiz

eddiefishtaco

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
Depend s
what rod
what lure
what fish
Big striper ? mini striper? large mouth? snook, rooster?
try mono not less than 15# some pros use 20# fluoro
braid, try 65# power pro with short leader
cast with less force thumb on spool all the time
have fun

Suffix siege or p line cxx cast very nice

tetzilla

Jan 11, 2013
s.b ca
Name
zilla
Boat
mmm
WHAT/?YOU HAVE LOST 4o_Oo worth of lc"s on sprectra...even 15 20 lb braided line shouled be stroung enough to bend the hooks free of anny hang ups.constant presure .rember your trying to unbend the hook ,thus setting yourself free....are you having knott problemes?...small diawa baitcaster blkwidow,,spooled with 15lb red spectra 2 to 3 feet florcarbon,,,,

Reactions: swami 805

alldaylong

Mar 20, 2019
point loma
Name
Rodrigo
Boat
no
15lb -20lb spectra connected (uniknot) to a short 12lb mono leader. I like using mono for its abrasion resistance against sand/rocks, knot strength, and stretch.

As far as hardbaits go, I wouldn't spend any extra money on fluorocarbon since it's a reaction bait and should be fished more aggressively, otherwise, switch to a jig.

Normally, your line will be in contact with the sand and other structure when fishing the surf. The micro filaments of any braided line they start to tear one by one around and near the knot, then before you know it, your line snaps on your next cast. So, make sure to check your line every few casts if you plan to tie straight to the lure.

I do like the malleability of 8slick, but I seem to get way less wind knots with spectra. Cheaper too.

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
20lb braid, 2’ of 12lb fluoro, 9’ steelhead rod, 3000 size reel. I’m getting 30-40 yards consistently with a 110 if there isn’t significant wind in my face.

If I was fishing a bait caster I think I’d just go straight 12lb mono.

Reactions: Cubeye

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. San Diego, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
I prefer cheap spinning reels while standing on beach sand fishing.

All of my bad ass conventional reels. Last a few sessions before grains of sand get into the reel no matter how careful I am. Keg beer on the beach. No matter what you will get sand in your drink

Butter drag imo is not necessary in so cal surf. Unless your buddy works in the reel service department

Work the jig in sync with the whitewater is key