aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I tip $5 for a full or half. Don't buy many half scoops.
It's not for the scooping of the bait. They are always friendly no matter what time.
Give good dope.
Don't laugh too hard if I miss the can't park the skiff.

That job , unlike many others, deserve the tips.

Reactions: mrbigfish43
Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I try to always have a couple of cold Monster drinks to offer them. They ALWAYS take them....then I offer a beer....sometimes they take that too.

after doing this for a season, I found that I usually had to tell them when I had enough......they would just keep loading.....

so yeah, tipping does have it's advantages. :)

Upvote 0

Innocent Bystaner

Innocent Bystander
Nov 5, 2006
Poway, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
Innocent Bystander 2901 Seaswirl
I always give the guys at least a $10 tip in adviance. Chat them up and find out where the fish are. They talk to all the boat captains and know where the hot bites are. They are a wealth of information. They work hard in a shitty environment. Would you do what they do for minimum wage?

Reactions: mrbigfish43
Upvote 0

get some

So Cal Editor
BD Writer
May 1, 2005
LBC
Name
Erik
Boat
Robalo 226 Cayman
I dont buy a lot of bait but when I do I never get a lot because I've got a small tank. I usually hand the guy 30 bucks and say give me 30 bucks worth. More often than not I refuse the last pass because my tank is full. If you leave the amount up to them the bait guys they will usually give you more than you'd get if you requested a set amount...

Upvote 0

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
Just wait until you can't get good bait for whatever reason. Then you will not mind paying 25-30 for a half scoop. Very hard to make sardines and/or anchovies on your own. Macks yes, but sometimes they are not small enough or can catch enough for a whole day.

Appreciate the fact you can get then and tip the 5 bucks.

Upvote 0

mrbigfish43

Licensed Captain
Aug 8, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Joe
Boat
1996 Grady White 268 Islander
The prices for bait depends on the harbor/operation. Yes all they are doing is scooping bait into your tank but in my opinion, making sure they are taken care of will make sure you get taken care of in return. I usually tip an amount so they don't need to give me change back, keep the line moving as quickly as possible. 25 for half so I give 30, 50 for full so 55/60. I've payed for a half and been given over a full scoop, so its all up to how you want to be treated, IMO. Water, cokes, beers and smokes also go a long way with them.
Don't forget a breakfast burrito or two. Usually gets you an extra pass or two..

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
At our docks in redondo and used to be del Rey we just want customers to be happy... After giving the standard passes for how much bait requested I always ask if you would like another pass tip or no tip.....if your cool and don't try to take advantage or act like a dick(especially when bait is scarce) you always will be happy drivin away...bait dock guys that get a small percentage or get paid by the hour may be influenced by tips more than others so feel it out and treat them like you wanna be treated
Just remember that different types of fishin require different amounts of bait...if your just halibut fishin you don't need as much bait as when your chummin for bass and cuda and using a chum bucket for bass will help you save bait when bait is scarce...

Reactions: Bigfishhateme
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Just wait until you can't get good bait for whatever reason. Then you will not mind paying 25-30 for a half scoop. Very hard to make sardines and/or anchovies on your own. Macks yes, but sometimes they are not small enough or can catch enough for a whole day.

Yes making bait is tough ! Only once have i been able to catch Anchovie and it was by accident.Ive never been able to catch Sardines.Mackeral,no problem but they are usually too big for most fish.If i can buy bait i wont waste fishing time by trying to catch bait.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
On my boat we split cost of bait.We always factor in an extra 10 bucks whether its a half scoop or 2 scoops even if its shitty bait and the bait dude is being stingy like the MB guys LOL.
Time is money,making bait takes way too much time,especially at 2 or 3 am.Me likey preciuos sleep:)

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon

FUCKIN-A-DITTO that! We made bait last year due to the shitty bait due to the shortage,it totally sucks because it takes away from fish time.BD YT tourney last year,perfect example.Making bait while we should have been fishing is like the blues brothers elevator scene,Ya know what I mean?

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Remember, the bait guy can't go to 7-11 for his breaktime. Bring him a commodity. Fresh grub from In-N-Out & a Milkshake!

DAMN.................. but I hate it when I cant go to the 7-11 on my breaktime.

I see the market for a Taco Boat --- similar to a Taco Truck.

back on subject:
I always tipped Larry in MDR $5 and always got good tips as to whats working where for what I wanted to catch.

Upvote 0

whosmatt

Almost A Member
Feb 25, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Matt
Boat
17' self built cc skiff, Daft Boot
after doing this for a season, I found that I usually had to tell them when I had enough......they would just keep loading.....

so yeah, tipping does have it's advantages. :)

I always just give $30 for the half scoop, never a problem. I usually ask for a light load since my tank is only 15 gallons, and they've offered to split it for me, letting me come back later in the day for the rest if I'm going to be close enough to do that.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
I always tip $5 and when we do well ill drop off fish on the way in.

Upvote 0

Timmo

Feb 18, 2013
Westminster
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I think tipping should either be cash or something that last, like cigarettes. Can you imagine bringing a hot burger or burrito, or a dozen donuts, and the 10 guys in front of you doing the same.... lol.

Upvote 0

striper30

Nov 23, 2011
Brea, ca
Name
Jim
Boat
Precision 28
5 up to 10 bucks every-time and Coffee no- cream if I have it. Once, I forgot my wallet in my truck and Nacho said pay me next time (which I did). Also have borrowed misc. crap like zip ties and tape if I forgot something.
I am almost always greeted with a grumpy smile.

Upvote 0