Diamond Jim

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 16, 2005
Dana Point Ca
Name
Jim Folk
Boat
28 Skipjack Pilot House
Yesterday June 12 06 Betty and my friend Lon left my slip in DP for a short day of fishing.
We gets to the E Bros bait barge and this girl comes out rubbing her eyes and ask what we needed. I say I thank a scoop will do us today, One scoop she asked, Yes please, I say.So she gives us three small scoops of deans and said that will be thirty bucks. My friend Lon pays her and gives her a five buck tip. I get back from down in the cabin and look in the bait tank I ask ,is that all we get? thats a scoop she said.Now what the hell when I get a Half scoop It's two scoops and now I ask for a full scoop and I get three.
As it worked out it was plenty as we hit three paddies with no one home and the weather started turning bad. Strong wind and white caps.As Betty and I both are just getting over being sick we called it a day about two and came home.
You can bet your sweet ass the next time I get bait I will know how much is a half and a full scoop.:finger: :finger:

Upvote 0

Punkfish

Fish This!!!
Jun 20, 2005
Huntington Beach, Ca.
Name
Jason
Boat
24 Ft. Skipjack Flybridge "Regulators"
Hey Jim,
I bet if you woulda pulled out that bad boy in your sig photo you woulda got that last scoop!!:rofl: :rofl: Sorry you had no love on the paddies!

Jas....................................................................................................

Upvote 0

jeffzou

Go ROYALS!
Feb 25, 2004
Laguna Niguel
Name
Jeff
Boat
Formerly the glorious "Two Kinds O' Pie"
Did any of it roll Jim? Just curious, that bait we got last Thursday was fine all day long. HAs nothing to do with what is or isn't a scopp but mostly just curious about the quality.

Jeff

Diamond Jim said:
Yesterday June 12 06 Betty and my friend Lon left my slip in DP for a short day of fishing.
We gets to the E Bros bait barge and this girl comes out rubbing her eyes and ask what we needed. I say I thank a scoop will do us today, One scoop she asked, Yes please, I say.So she gives us three small scoops of deans and said that will be thirty bucks. My friend Lon pays her and gives her a five buck tip. I get back from down in the cabin and look in the bait tank I ask ,is that all we get? thats a scoop she said.Now what the hell when I get a Half scoop It's two scoops and now I ask for a full scoop and I get three.
As it worked out it was plenty as we hit three paddies with no one home and the weather started turning bad. Strong wind and white caps.As Betty and I both are just getting over being sick we called it a day about two and came home.
You can bet your sweet ass the next time I get bait I will know how much is a half and a full scoop.:finger: :finger:

Upvote 0

bertram31

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 7, 2004
Star Valley
Name
Jack
Boat
Baja outlaw 29 SST
At least she didnt just load the net in one full pass and smash half the baits in the net. got to agree you would think a half scoop is two passes and a full is four.

The best guy I ever dealt with on passing bait was Squid at Avalon. he would pass ten to twelve baits at a time , nice smalls scoops and didnt worry about making a bunch of passes. Unlike frigin Nacho at LA Harbor, one overflowing scoop of more then half smashed and the get all pissy when you declined the pass.

Jack

Upvote 0

sushiboy67

Aug 9, 2005
san clemente
Name
JOHN
Boat
none
sme thing with the bait happened to my buddy and i. we pull up on fri. ask for a scoop. my buddy looks at him, " is that it?" the boy told us he totally hooked us up. we were like bullshiot. he was complaining about getting his ass chewed for giving that much for a scoop. it was about 1/2 a scoop. sure we did'nt need it all, but i paid for it and he should give it to me. needless to say he did'nt get a tip!!!:finger:

Upvote 0

Andy253

Jun 6, 2006
OC
Name
Andy
I got a scoop on Sat.(three passes) and most of it roled. It was pretty beat to hell. I was thinking the same thing as far as the number of passes. 2 for half 4 for full?

Upvote 0

Scrapper

Oct 8, 2003
So Cal
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
26' Shamrock Pilot House
Sounds like the good ol' days when Mello Bro's used to run things. That girl that worked the bait dock back then, she was a bitch and always gave us a short scoop! Maybe it's a curse, DP will never have a decent bait operation!

Upvote 0

Diamond Jim

Oct 16, 2005
Dana Point Ca
Name
Jim Folk
Boat
28 Skipjack Pilot House
Well the bait that we did get was good. I think we lost only six or eight all day. My bait tank keeps them good, as it got bumpy and they still lasted, I save all the left over and freeze them, I will make chum with them.
Good day fishing any way. D-J

Upvote 0

BabyGiant

Get bit
Jan 3, 2005
Irvine
Name
Mark
Boat
24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
a half scoop weighs a certain amount (aprox) and a full scoop wieghs about double. Never heard 2 pass for a 1/2 or 4 passes for full... anyone know aprox how much each wieghs?

Upvote 0

Reel Trouble

SooooPlame
Jan 3, 2005
Tustin, CA
Name
Mr. G
Boat
24' Balo & 18'cc Darth Invader
BabyGiant said:
a half scoop weighs a certain amount (aprox) and a full scoop wieghs about double. Never heard 2 pass for a 1/2 or 4 passes for full... anyone know aprox how much each wieghs?

2 for half and 4 for a full, sometimes you get a good guy/girl and at times you get the shaft. DP has always been shady IMO, the only time that I liked it was when I knew the guy that worked it all the time. But that was Mello's, I like the 24/7 now but the people working the barge don't seem to get. Give us that last lucky scoop, if I ask for a 1/2 don't call the second pass a lucky scoop. It's what I get for paying you $20 + $5 tip most of the time, I feel that the lucky scoop is what you get after you get your normal bait. That's what get's you guys/girls tipped better. Not ranting just showing common sense.......If I worked at a bait barge I would be trying to get tipped as much as possible, what do they get paid $7 maybe $8/hr. I would be working that tip as much as possible again IMHO.

Upvote 0

MacAttack

Aug 1, 2005
Name
Boat
Tips are key. It's as simple as that. Go out once a month - they forget you and your boat. Nacho always waves me in - knowing a cold six'er of Miller and a ten dollar bill will be coming after my tanks full.

Upvote 0

Reel Trouble

SooooPlame
Jan 3, 2005
Tustin, CA
Name
Mr. G
Boat
24' Balo & 18'cc Darth Invader
MacAttack said:
Tips are key. It's as simple as that. Go out once a month - they forget you and your boat. Nacho always waves me in - knowing a cold six'er of Miller and a ten dollar bill will be coming after my tanks full.

For the most part Nacho gets it, flow him some love and he plugs your bait tank. Show up at 3am and well......It would be nice to have Nacho teach a bait barge ettique course (s/p?) for bait barge employees:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ron

Upvote 0

remington

Sep 25, 2003
Cali
Name
Me
Boat
Spartacus
Sure as Hell beats the Mello-yellow operation.

At least now, you can actually get bait 24-7. If the old crew had a big night at Turk's you were screwed.:finger: They were on their own schedule and didn't give a shit about Pber's.....

Upvote 0

captamb1

May 9, 2003
Vista
Visit site
Name
JIM
Boat
25 ft Skipjack Fisherman
Diamond Jim said:

The same thing happened to us last Sunday out of SD bay shorted on a scoop. It seams that they know there is no one else selling bait they can screw us privet boaters I believe the word must have come from upper management. I have heard nothing but bad reports from all the bait barges that operate in SD and Dana Pt.
I know in the past we have always received enough bait to be able to throw some chum on the fish but Sunday we did not have but 2 dozen live baits in the tank. I think Everingham Bros Bait Co should be contacted by us individually and in a polite way ask why the shortage of bait.

Here is their policy on what a scoop is
Our scoop is designed to hold 5 pounds when it is 3/4 full. One full pass is equal to 1/2 scoop. Two full passes are equal to 1 scoop. Smaller and more dips may be served.

Here is the number to call to voice your thoughts to them
phone 619-696-6673
fax 619-696-6674
Email address: [email protected]

Oh and before you crybabies start with any bullshit :finger: :finger: :finger:
:rofl:

Upvote 0