Grady226

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
https://nmtablog.blogspot.com/2019/...Gwigov19uzhq_XsxMR8u0GmenCUQRkByMXLiEFZq-gapc

Please read this whole story....I will clip an excerpt below.

After five of the six weeks normally devoted to carefully viewing alternative seasons, analyzing the complex set of salmon stocks and fisheries being planned from Alaska to California, not even one Puget Sound sport-fishing season option had been laid out on the table for public review during the final NOF meeting in Lynnwood on April 3. Only about two hours was devoted to the Puget Sound sport salmon fisheries discussion.
WDFW was unable to provide such an alternative because they had agreed with their tribal co-managers to focus instead on Puget Sound chum issues that have virtually no effect on chinook and coho sport-fishing opportunities. This unplanned topic also averted WDFW from having any discussion of the serious issues potentially affecting fisheries with southern resident killer whales. All the vital public input on season preferences that reflect social and economic consequences of decisions was moved out of reach for most constituents to California.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Last Time, when CCA votes NO on uping hatchery numbers, whose friends are they? The recreational fishermen? The tribes?
    NO on both of those.
    CCA voted with puget sound alliance, HSRG and wild fish conservancy, keep handing those boys your money from Texas and see where our fisheries go.

Upvote 0

Crunchy

Almost A Member
    Feb 27, 2010
    Puyallup
    Name
    Raphael
    Boat
    18 ft Hewescraft Sportsman
    Its clear how we are getting screwed but I am curious if the tribes got their season(s) cut short as well? Seems that we never see how they curtail their harvest.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
    Upvote 0

rrenick65

Almost A Member
    May 23, 2010
    Kodiak, AK
    Name
    Ross
    Boat
    20' trophy
    Does anyone know where we can find the tribal allocation numbers???

Are you talking about tribal allocations within the puget sound tribes and how they allocate their wild fish impacts? Because obviously they get 50% of harvest, but how the tribes allocate their harvest would be difficult to track down. Tribes aren’t considered public therefore they don’t have to release a lot of their information. They are required to report harvest, but we all know those numbers are bullshit. They only count fish delivered to the processors, fish homepacked and sold on the side of the road are not reported, additionally they rarely report by catch of any kind.

Reactions: digits
    Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Even if the tribe's numbers are cut, once the season starts and the fish returns are better than expected the tribe's will just increase their allocation. We've seen it before.

Reactions: digits
    Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Are you talking about tribal allocations within the puget sound tribes and how they allocate their wild fish impacts? Because obviously they get 50% of harvest, but how the tribes allocate their harvest would be difficult to track down. Tribes aren’t considered public therefore they don’t have to release a lot of their information. They are required to report harvest, but we all know those numbers are bullshit. They only count fish delivered to the processors, fish homepacked and sold on the side of the road are not reported, additionally they rarely report by catch of any kind.

Yea, I was kinda thinking something like that would be public information. How can WDFW co-manage if they don’t even know what the tribes are managing to. All I’m trying to figure out is if the tribes are also impacted as the rec quotas are in MA-9, 10, and 11.

Upvote 0

digits

Sportsman
    Apr 4, 2011
    Everett, WA
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Voodoo Child
    Tribal and non-Tribal commercial fishing interests are out maneuvering recreational fishing interests because they are spending money on lobbyists to achieve their goals. PSA and other groups that represent recreational fishing interests MUST spend the money on lobbyists as well, or this will continue to happen, year after year.

Reactions: FINATIC 21
    Upvote 0

rrenick65

Almost A Member
    May 23, 2010
    Kodiak, AK
    Name
    Ross
    Boat
    20' trophy
    Yea, I was kinda thinking something like that would be public information. How can WDFW co-manage if they don’t even know what the tribes are managing to. All I’m trying to figure out is if the tribes are also impacted as the rec quotas are in MA-9, 10, and 11.

It get's a little tricky. They are monitored on a quota based off of processor fish tickets, but they can get around that. And as previously stated by tacklejacked, you have a lot of different tribes within all those MA's so if numbers come in stronger than expected they open up the "terminal" harvest areas. However, if numbers come in weaker than projected, they just kind of throw their hands up and say "Oops, we caught to many".

One of the major problems with fish management in WA is numbers. Forecasts are extremely unpredictable with huge ranges. Then WDFW predominately uses spawning ground surveys and hatcheries for the escapement numbers. Problem is a large percentage of harvest has already occurred before these fish reach those destinations, so if the run is weak it's usually too late.

Upvote 0

Grady226

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 17, 2009
    Marysville,Wa
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    22' Grady White
    Here are some more reasons we need better negotiators!

This statement was released by WDFW following the conclusion of the season setting process.

“Southern resident killer whales: In meeting conservation objectives for wild salmon, the co-managers are also limiting fisheries in areas where southern resident killer whales are known to feed. The adjustments will aid in minimizing boat presence and noise, and decrease competition for chinook and other salmon in these areas critical to the declining whales.”

Here are some facts, just to be clear:

1. The month of August will be closed to all salmon fishing in Marine Area 7.

2. The SRKW were spotted four times last August in the “areas critical to declining whales”.

3. Both Tribal and non-Tribal commercial fishing vessels will be netting for salmon this August in Marine Area 7.

4. The number of Chinook returning to Puget Sound is up over last year, in fact it has increased for the last 12 years.

5. In 2014 we fished for summer Chinook 4 months (July-Oct) in Marine Area 7. We are now down to 1 month, (July).

Upvote 0