Bailless spinner

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by jeffreykooken, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    I'm looking to get a new 6500 spinning reel in the not to distant future. Something to throw at kelps for YT. I've got an arsenal of conventional's, so I think a spinner would be fun. For those who have fished both bailed and bailless spinners, what are the real pro and cons of the bailless. Worth it?

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    I'd post this on a east coast striper fourm. Bailless reels aren't popular on the west coast neither are spinners

3. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    Bail-less spin reels are almost exclusively used by surfcasters in the Northeast/New England. Virtually no application for boat-based angling, and not even very much for CA-style surfcasting. In 6500-size reels, depending on budget, the Spinfisher VI or Slammer III will work well for many SoCal applications.

Cubeye and jeffreykooken like this.
  4. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    Thanks. So, which bailed reel will serve me better, and why. I get the drag difference between the Slammer, and the Spinfisher, but what about gearing and watertight integrity? Will the extra $100 for the Slammer be well spent? I like them both. Will setting the drag on these spinners be the same as setting a conventional?

5. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I have Torque and and Slammer spinners and prefer the Slammer. Will be picking up another

6. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The improved sealing of the Slammer III should not be a huge deal unless you will also spend a good deal of time surfcasting. Both have C-n-C machined gears, but the Slammer III does have a substantially better drag design [drag elements at top and bottom of spool, including a huge bottom washer], plus the Slammer III uses the "Dura-Drag" material, same as is used in Internationals and Torques.

Cubeye likes this.