Bailless spinner

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by jeffreykooken, Feb 9, 2019.

1. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    I'm looking to get a new 6500 spinning reel in the not to distant future. Something to throw at kelps for YT. I've got an arsenal of conventional's, so I think a spinner would be fun. For those who have fished both bailed and bailless spinners, what are the real pro and cons of the bailless. Worth it?

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I'd post this on a east coast striper fourm. Bailless reels aren't popular on the west coast neither are spinners

3. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16
    Bail-less spin reels are almost exclusively used by surfcasters in the Northeast/New England. Virtually no application for boat-based angling, and not even very much for CA-style surfcasting. In 6500-size reels, depending on budget, the Spinfisher VI or Slammer III will work well for many SoCal applications.

Cubeye and jeffreykooken like this.
  4. jeffreykooken

jeffreykooken Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Kooken
    Boat:
    14' Aluninum
    Thanks. So, which bailed reel will serve me better, and why. I get the drag difference between the Slammer, and the Spinfisher, but what about gearing and watertight integrity? Will the extra $100 for the Slammer be well spent? I like them both. Will setting the drag on these spinners be the same as setting a conventional?

5. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I have Torque and and Slammer spinners and prefer the Slammer. Will be picking up another

6. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

The improved sealing of the Slammer III should not be a huge deal unless you will also spend a good deal of time surfcasting. Both have C-n-C machined gears, but the Slammer III does have a substantially better drag design [drag elements at top and bottom of spool, including a huge bottom washer], plus the Slammer III uses the "Dura-Drag" material, same as is used in Internationals and Torques.

Cubeye likes this.