Bahia de Los Angeles in June

Feb 11, 2020
La Mesa
Name
Michael Smith
Boat
kayak
I am traveling to Bahia de Los Angeles in June 20-25 with my family. What is a list of necessary tackle, irons, hooks, torpedoes, ect... Also and rrods/ reels needed. My son wants to shore fish too and would should I bring for shore fishing. Where are the best spots to shore fish? Thanks so much and I would like to get my gear now! Thanks Mike

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Welcome to BD. You are going at a great time. Are you taking or renting a boat?
Use the search feature in this section to look at the reports. You will catch YT and Cabrilla on stick bait, surface irons and live bait.

There are several guides that participate on BD. They are your best source of info. It's been my experience to wait until buying a bunch of gear for baja, just get the reels ready.

Upvote 0

alwaysbendo

Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft
4/0-5/0 hooks and 16oz weights.40-80# line 2 speed reels help. If you want to cast for cabrilla a nice casting outfit with 40-60 leader and some salas 6x jrs and rapala xrap long cast 14

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2020
La Mesa
Name
Michael Smith
Boat
kayak
Thanks so much
What color salas 6x jrs? And other irons options and their colors????
What color and rapala xrap long cast
What about getting bait?

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
252 GW Sailfish “Rosie”
I bring a few dropped loop setups with #80 braid and #100/#120 leaders.
7/0 and 8/0 hooks . About 15 16oz weights.
Blue and chrome is my go to for yoyo. Make sure you have a few heavy yo-yo jigs in case bait making is difficult. On my yo-yo setups I have #60 leader.
Bring plenty of sabikis to catch bait, medium sized. Bait hack that always works for me: the night before fill a gallon ziplock bag halfway with oatmeal, add one can tuna with oil. Add water until it is pasty. Let marinate overnight when you are marking bait throw small handfuls of it the bait will charge the boat and stick to it. Everyone else will be watching you catch bait.
Also in June there may surface action on the yellows so make sure you have surface irons or colt sniper stick baits. I again go with blue and chrome or anything shiny.
For shore fishing we use freshwater baitcasters/spinners and have a lot of fun with krokodiles , small and medium size. Also bring shrimp and frozen squid for shore. Use an egg sinker and smaller hooks, the squid and shrimp will get bit every cast!

Upvote 0

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
Best shore fishing at north end of bay out on the cobble spit at La Gringa point. You can drive all the way out there, its paved most of the way now and literally start fishing right where you park on the gravel. 4 WD (usually) not necessary if you don't stray of the road graded road.

Medium action rod at least 7" (longer the better as distance is key), appropriate matched reel with mono or braid. I used to use 12 or 15lb P-Line. Krocodile's in 5/8 or 1 ounce in mackerel or chrome prism complete the rig. Cast out and let it sink, slow to medium retrieve often stopping to let stay near bottom. Spotted bass here mostly but halibut, barracuda, needle fish, sierra, rooster fish, corvina (plus many other kinds of fish) often caught from this beach as well.

People have caught Yellowtail breezing within casting distance from shore at La Gringa, I have seen this my self several times. Very few places in the world this happens and this is one of them. Although not every day, it happens often enough to keep a jig stick with a Tady 45 at the ready, in the truck and always be on the look out boils.

Fishing out here can be decent through any time of day but is best when the sun is rising or setting (early and late). Sometimes someone will walk out and try to charge a "parking fee" for a few bucks. Pay if you want but I always say; NO, that he probably has no authority to charge anything to which he walks away.

Another place to consider shore fishing at LA Bay is out on the point where the light house stands. I've had excellent fishing on the beach here as well and its right near town. Everything already discussed applies to this place as well.

KennyKorvina

Jul 21, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Name
Ken
Boat
Valco
I’m prejudice. Deadheadlures.com
Blue deadheads were killin em last October there! If you want an adventure and have time (and the rig) you can head south to Playa Rafael (halibut) and Bahia de Las Animas for shore fishing. As mentioned chrome Krocs are always good as are red scampi plastics. If you just have to have dinner (and it's as good as it gets eating wise) a small hook and some squid and you can pretty much guarantee a trigger or two.

Reactions: denis

alwaysbendo

Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft
Thanks so much
What color salas 6x jrs? And other irons options and their colors????
What color and rapala xrap long cast
What about getting bait?
Hot olive for the rapala.. also the Elton John Beito lure.. the jigs mint blue and white scrambled egg.. those Salas dx are good too

Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
2nd on the 20oz weights. Got a ton of 16oz & 12oz weights left over but we used all the 20s.
Grahams your not even gonna worn them about the sting rays off the beach? You guys were hammered but i know that hurt!! Me and Matt might head back down in 2 weeks, just watching the wind...

Reactions: grahams98
grahams98
grahams98
That was my brother Dennis who got stung and then I resumed drinking while Pat helped him. My shoulder was really hurting and tequila seemed to be the only cure. He ended up needing to go to the doctor a few weeks later in OC as the stinger was still in there. Starting to look at dates but it might be Loretto with my wife coming too.

Thanks for putting up with me as I rarely drink that much and it showed!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
I am going in a month and am bringing a jig stick and a few madscads. was there last june and the madscads were getting bit very well on a fast retrieve. Also a 100 lb dropper loop setup as well as 50lb flyline and 60lb yoyo

Reactions: denis
Upvote 0

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
It’s weird sometimes. You loose a lot of jigs and Torpedo s. And some years not. Bring a bunch. They don’t spoil for next year. It always depends on current. And what type of reef you find the fish on good luck I’ll be there the 20 th.

Reactions: jer dog
Upvote 0