Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
Im back visiting my dad down here. Things are more like May than August lately. Cool 59-64 water and green w marine layer and temps like back in SoCal. Just the last 2days have shifted to more warm tropical and we poked outside for some 70+ water and found some small dorado. Its looking up.

Had a plan to go long today for a bubble of real warm water but motor problems scuttled the plan. Maybe tomorrow.
Heres a couple fish from the last few days. Both were 30lb coincidentally and both on xrap around 'dine balls.

20200811_074337.jpg

89850398c1a124cd77afb16ef1da13be.0.jpg

robmap

Nov 14, 2019
Irvine California
Name
Robert
Boat
None
Nice! We go every October and fish with Juan. How’s the COVID situation in town? Are tourist welcome? Planning to go this October thanks

yakmandan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Nice White seabass, my favorite
We usually go down in October as well
We stay with Shari or camp at Shari's campground. Fished with Juan more times than I can count. One of the fishiest guys I have ever fished with.
This year we are only going as far as San Quintin

MVIMG_20191006_165120.jpg

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
Nice! We go every October and fish with Juan. How’s the COVID situation in town? Are tourist welcome? Planning to go this October thanks
Issued FMMs @ Mexicali no problem. Checkpoints were no problem. Given a leaflet in Guerro Negro by a medic at that checkpoint w a number to call if you have symptoms and he asked if he can take temps. Passed test w 98.5% -thats a solid A grade!- y adelante.
Just like the US wear masks indoors and no dine-in. Unlike in CA no beer sales after 3pm here.

Solid hali bite on the beaches before the swell and it continued as of this afternoon I can confirm.

robmap

Nov 14, 2019
Irvine California
Name
Robert
Boat
None
Issued FMMs @ Mexicali no problem. Checkpoints were no problem. Given a leaflet in Guerro Negro by a medic at that checkpoint w a number to call if you have symptoms and he asked if he can take temps. Passed test w 98.5% -thats a solid A grade!- y adelante.
Just like the US wear masks indoors and no dine-in. Unlike in CA no beer sales after 3pm here.

Solid hali bite on the beaches before the swell and it continued as of this afternoon I can confirm.
Thanks for the info hope we can make that October trip this year. I think the virus has peaked in CA and Baja and October will be even better.

robmap

Nov 14, 2019
Irvine California
Name
Robert
Boat
None
Nice White seabass, my favorite
We usually go down in October as well
We stay with Shari or camp at Shari's campground. Fished with Juan more times than I can count. One of the fishiest guys I have ever fished with.
This year we are only going as far as San Quintin

View attachment 1184929
I know that view. We usually stay at the beach house, best shore fishing right in front during high tide, and Choros

Reactions: blowhole

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Caught a bunch of small bonito off the beach right in from of the beach house last time we were there Oct2019 my daughter has the second week of October off of school every year. Took my new boat down last year and took Juan out fishing.

Reactions: robmap and denis

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
Everything turned so clean and warm in just a couple days. 70F water is now just off the island and the strip of green water is very narrow along shore. We went outside today and found a handful of patties and 3 were just chocked w dorado and turtles. Saw a couple makos and our buddy boat hooked a marlin for a while on a rapala. Looking even better tomorrow.

Reactions: robmap and curt lj.

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
You're killing me

Last edited:

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
20200816_072640.jpg

By 0900 that cloud dropped to the surface and left warm sticky fog all day.
We found more patties and more dorado today but nothing else. I did stick one on the surface iron so that was cool. We drove away from several dorado infested strings of patties. Grease calm all day and we found water up to 79 now and deep blue w flyers everywhere.

Reactions: denis

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
Had a day of a couple yt on Xraps, an offshore full skunk day w cooler green water, and a couple bit the jig today.
Bones are in. We weeded through a ton of bones to get a couple nice fish.
20200819_135249.jpg
IMG_20200819_50413.jpg

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
After a down day blow yesterday from tropical storm passing today was very nice. By 1000 we were asking ourselves why we didnt go out. By 1500 we couldnt take any more and launched and ran for the 100fa line. It was lumpy and mixed but workable at troll speed and we got a nice knockdown bull. A couple others didnt stick but we kept some fillets. Bonus pm sessions are the best.
20200822_163050.jpg

blowhole

Oct 18, 2007
bahia asuncion, on the west coast of central baja
www.bahiaasuncion.com
Name
shari & juan arce
Boat
28' super panga
Things are pretty normal here in Asuncion, beaches open, restaurants, hotels, stores etc. Locals are happy some visitors are here to help out the suffering economy. No Covid here so no panic. Just have to wear a mask in stores. Fishing is picking up!!!!

Reactions: Zed, jsl and robmap

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
Im still here slugging it out picking up a yellow or 2 a day going in the direction the wind allows being in a 14ft tin boat.

Of all the days we have made a poor decision only once. We went offshore S and didnt find the conditions so we buzzed back inshore Eward and while we found some life and angry yt up and smashing sardines (picked up 2) we had a 3hr slog back up the line in questionable seas. That beating, chores at home and the wind prompted a couple down days.

Back at it we again found some inshore yellows 1 or 2 at a time and yesterday we got back offshore to Wward and found a tuna! It was more of a figurehead type of tuna in principal but we found one.

We came upon 1 common dolphin and put out a feather and a xrap and w/in minutes some more "right" dolphins showed up and in a couple more minutes I smelled the sweet melon/cucumber smell of fresh fish slime an zing the feather went.

A fine marlin bait or fresh young sashimi.
20200827_105622.jpg

Reactions: 1 Ola Mas

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
You might get a couple sushi rolls out of that.

Zed

W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
Yt fishing has gone wfo on the jigs. The past 3 days out we found them willing to bite and aggressive w sometimes four swipes on the crank and almost instant rebites on spit jigs. My dad got a seabass on the jig yesterday as a bonus. Offshore has looked and felt good when allowed out there (77green to 75blue) but no great shakes besides med-small dorado. That should go soon but after I leave. Tourists are finally showing up and the town is enjoying the Summer like water temps.