the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
We all get paddy hopping. Pull up on this paddy once or twice, no bites, move on to the next. Yep that's fishing. It can be like that the whole entire day, that is fishing. Either you like it or do not.

However, when a captains says . . .
Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching.

Isn't it up to the Captain to tell the paying customers why there is no success and to show how it can be done? His job is to help paying customers to catch fish? Isn't this one factor in helping an operation have a good name?

Or he can just drive all day knowing there is not much talent on the boat? Maybe he had a death in the family? Maybe broke up with his girlfriend? Possibly ate some bad food or partied all night? Forgivable.

Blaming the customer just doesn't set well with me. Not sure why you guys are such hommies for the sportboats all this time.

I don't know the OP and have no skin in defending him. Only taking his comments as truthful.

Now I see he is a "tool" by starting another thread asking why negative reviews about sportboats is discouraged? Newbs . . . sheesh.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are mostly Bullshit, should be taken with a gain of salt and most likely contain spelling and grammatical errors. Any issues regarding this comment should be directed to the WGARA Department. Thank you

Last edited:

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat Name
    Boats n hoes
    We all get paddy hopping. Pull up on this paddy once or twice, no bites, move on to the next. Yep that's fishing. I can be like that the whole entire day, that is fishing. Either you like it or do not.

However, when a captains says . . .

Isn't it up to him to tell the paying customers why no success and to show how it can be done? His job is to help paying customers to catch fish? Isn't this one factor in helping an operation have a good name?

Or he can just drive all day knowing there is not much talent on the boat? Maybe he had a death in the family? Maybe broke up with his girlfriend? Possibly ate some bad food or partied all night?

Blaming the customer just doesn't set well with me. Not sure why you guys are such hommies for the sportboats all this time.

I don't know the OP and have no skin in defending him. Only taking his comments as truthful.
    Not sure how often you've fished sportboats but ball busting is pretty common practice. But I do prefer when they leave the helm, make 1 cast and instant bendo, even better if it's the cook that comes out and does it.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Not sure how often you've fished sportboats but ball busting is pretty common practice. But I do prefer when they leave the helm, make 1 cast and instant bendo, even better if it's the cook that comes out and does it.

Already said that. (quote below)
    Fished plenty of Sporties. One charter for over 12 years for 6-8 months a year. When the Captain or Decky schooled us by showing fish could be caught, there were no excuses. We hung our heads in shame and learned. A few time we told it was our fault we weren't catching fish. At least the crew proved it by catching something.

" Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching"

Prove it, right?
    Captain or Decky should have grabbed a rod and show it can be done if he is going to make that accusition. Dorado have been very finicky.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Reel_Newbie

Roll With It..
    Aug 26, 2011
    I.E.
    Name
    Cesar
    Boat Name
    Everglades 243
    2 weeks ago my buddy and I ran 175 miles with ZERO fish. We found them, they weren’t complying… for perspective, I typically burn 15gph (when not being a knucklehead), so yeah… sometimes it’s a boat ride, buzz, and damn good fk’n memories that I’ll take to the grave!

Upvote 0

Bradyxxx

• Sep 21, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Braden
    Boat Name
    Catchalot
    Now I don’t know what Boat you went on, so may I suggest you go on Better boats?
    Like the Pacific Queen, New Lo An, Polaris supreme, or for just a day trip on The San Diego.
    These boats are professionally run operations with a great customer service and they will put you on the fish,
    check their fish counts. Their reputation precedes them!

Reactions: I hate seals
    Upvote 0

Ditch work

Mar 25, 2009
    West LA, CA
    Name
    Will Lin
    Boat Name
    I wish
    2x on paying your dues. Its all good dude, we all have days like that. At least u saw them. I went 100 miles my last trip and saw nothing.

Also consider, the captain makes more money when the boat is in idle on a drift. Driving around all day costs money. No one out there wants to drive just to burn time.

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat Name
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    same as Bradyxxx.

IF YOU CAN....TRY THIS... do not do a one day( formerly overnight boats) trip ...... removed the word "again" here to not offend any ........... except on the Liberty or the San Diego - full day boats = formerly 3/4 day boats. These 2 ARE STELLAR "DAY' BOATS AND THEY ALSO DO TRIPS UP TO 2 Maybe 3 days.

Do a longer trip 3 days or more and this allows for a down day as they happen. Look at the "long range fleet" and try one of these.
    I started long range by pooling my overnite trip money into a wad big enough to do the longer trips. Best move I ever did and kept at it.

Given all this. Earlier this year while on a longer trip, the radio chit chat between captains included tha part where one VERY GOOD long range boat went 30 hours of looking for bluefin without a STOP. So do know fishing can be fishing. Just posted on BD of a catching trip - catching --- around the same time you were fishing.

Keep putting your time on the water. you will have great trips.
    You know best about what went on during your trip. I was not there so I experienced nothing.

Reactions: Jeff_Gibbons
    Upvote 0

Hawgboy

Almost A Member
    May 7, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Any
    Go back and look at the fish count for that boat the day before and the day after you went and if they conked it all I can say is welcome to the club 😂😂

Upvote 0

Jeff_Gibbons

May 1, 2021
    Redlands, CA
    Name
    Jeff Gibbons
    Boat Name
    Miss Jenny
    A lot of good perspectives shared above. I echo their guidance and also ate a recent all day boat ride in June. It’s a tough pill to swallow but as said above - is part of the off shore hunt. Keep positive and the next trip may be wfo?

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat Name
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    OP didn’t throw the boat name under the bus, making it more of a rhetorical bitching. Gotta respect that.

And to the OP. It sucks. But if he’s burning fuel, he’s hunting.

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    Bad trips always suck and leave a bad taste. I've had two 3 1/2 days this year that turned into long boat rides, it happens. Years ago I decided that a bad day on the water is better than most days on land. Regardless if I catch fish or not I just enjoy the time on the water. Of course a cold beer and good burger doesn't hurt. I've also learned to enjoy the really good trips like the last one I had with limits of YT, DODO's a few YFT and BFT in the mix. You'll get them next time !

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    Details:

I called the landing the afternoon of August 9 to ask about the plan so that we would have all the tackle we needed. The landing office asked deckhands in the tackle shop and the reply was that we would be going to Cat in the morning and sliding off in the afternoon to try for Bluefin. Reports had been so so on the island and positive on the offshore bite chances.

The next morning, at loading, Captain announced we would be instead chasing Dorado and Bluefin down South and that we would be late getting back. No problem. The reports in that area had been good too. Captain also gave the option for any angler not wanting to do that to get off the boat for a refund then.

Here’s where the day turned.

We motored the 2-3 hours to the area South and found dorado that were not yet really biting. First stop 10 mins. Second stop 10 mins. This is a GENEROUS estimation of the time fishing. Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching. 45 min - 1 hour run to third stop. 10 mins. That’s it for the day. At that point an experienced Captain made what can only be described as a mistake rookies make and drove away from fish to find fish and then just insanely kept driving the entire day away arriving back at the landing early about 5:15. In all, we motored 11 of the 11 1/2 hours aboard with zero effort given to fishing. There’s no excuse that can be given to the fishermen aboard or the bite because WE SIMPLY DID NOT FISH. AT ALL. PERIOD. We bought a boat

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

eat'm_raw

person of interest
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
    You forgot the most important part, when they announce, "This is what they look like!". Love that shit. LOL

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

aventuSD

Oct 2, 2015
    San diego
    Name
    aventus
    Boat Name
    Center console
    Expectations are always higher when you are fishing with pros as opposed to going out on a private boat but that doesn't change the nature of this sport. Knowledge and skill is huge but fishing can also just come down to luck.

For all the epic reports and fish pictures on here, instagram and fishdope remember there's 1000 other guys that went out that same day, spent the same ammout of money and didn't do as well or maybe got skunked.

Upvote 0