DSimmons

Feb 28, 2018
Hermosa Beach
Name
David Simmons
Boat Name
Legend Apha 211 sold
Details:

I called the landing the afternoon of August 9 to ask about the plan so that we would have all the tackle we needed. The landing office asked deckhands in the tackle shop and the reply was that we would be going to Cat in the morning and sliding off in the afternoon to try for Bluefin. Reports had been so so on the island and positive on the offshore bite chances.

The next morning, at loading, Captain announced we would be instead chasing Dorado and Bluefin down South and that we would be late getting back. No problem. The reports in that area had been good too. Captain also gave the option for any angler not wanting to do that to get off the boat for a refund then.

Here’s where the day turned.

We motored the 2-3 hours to the area South and found dorado that were not yet really biting. First stop 10 mins. Second stop 10 mins. This is a GENEROUS estimation of the time fishing. Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching. 45 min - 1 hour run to third stop. 10 mins. That’s it for the day. At that point an experienced Captain made what can only be described as a mistake rookies make and drove away from fish to find fish and then just insanely kept driving the entire day away arriving back at the landing early about 5:15. In all, we motored 11 of the 11 1/2 hours aboard with zero effort given to fishing. There’s no excuse that can be given to the fishermen aboard or the bite because WE SIMPLY DID NOT FISH. AT ALL. PERIOD. We bought a boat ride.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat Name
36' Hatteras
You fished. Catching is different. I’ve been out about 80 times in the past few months and right now there is just a ton of non-biting fish, what do we do? We drive looking for fish that bite. Fishing isn’t for everyone.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
" Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching"

Prove it, right?
Captain or Decky should have grabbed a rod and show it can be done if he is going to make that accusition. Dorado have been very finicky.

At least you didn't have to pay a fuel surcharge.

:rofl:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

• Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat Name
    Cattle Boats
    Offshore trips are high risk high reward. I've been out before where we saw 0 fish and made 1 stop on a kelp for under a minute to wet out line, and came back in with 0 fish. This was on one of the premier full day boat out of San Diego. Captain apologized, but deckhands were up on the roof looking all day. That's one possibility on a full day which is why there's high risk. If this isn't what you were thinking it would be like, then go fishing during the spring and fall when they go to the islands. Offshore fishing isn't for everyone. But when they find biting fish, it goes wide open. Sounds like you had a bad trip, but doesn't seem like it's the fault of the crew or boat, but your own personal expectations.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat Name
    Boats n hoes
    You guys are all missing the key statement. We did not put lines in water for 11 hours. This is why I withheld the boat names. Too many fans always want to come to some boat’s defense. It’s a report, like any other report. Nobody goes undefeated. It was a bad day.
    They were motoring around looking for fish. You want to just soak baits with nothing around to say you were "fishing"?

Like you said, it was a bad day. That's all it was.

Upvote 0

ErnieG

Worst Fisherman
    Aug 4, 2011
    Vista
    www.cafishingnews.com
    Name
    Ernie Gorham
    Boat Name
    11' SportCat Truline
    I assume you're new to offshore fishing.

The offshore ocean is essentially a desert with small concentrations of fish. Your captain could have just stopped the boat and let you put lines in the water with nothing around, but no one would do that. They keep driving hoping to find the one good kelp or school that does want to bite. The difference between skunks and epic offshore trips is often one little piece of floating kelp. Driving all day gives them the best chance of finding the holy grail. It happens.

Sucks when it happens on a trip that you are on, but that is offshore fishing in Southern California.

The captain of any sport boat in SoCal has thousands of days on the water. They know what they're doing. Even the best get skunked multiple times a year.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat Name
    None
    A few years back a spot opened up on a buddy's 6 pack group. Apparently they'd been riding this boat for many years with good success. On my trip, the Captain called in sick so his Second drove the boat. He went left when the whole fleet went right. Drove and drove with zero signs of life. We had maybe 2 stops and 10 minutes with lines in the water for the entire trip and caught zero. Sound familiar?

Anyways, the following year was better (with yet another captain), but I've since removed myself from the 6 pack. Expensive and disappointing lesson but now you know of at least one boat to avoid.

Reactions: Knot Trippin'

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I agree with the basic theme of the report, it is very disappointing to want to go fishing and end up with just a boat ride. It's happened to me a half-dozen times over the years, and is always very frustrating. I get it, the captain would like to find biting fish too, but if they keep sinking out and scattering on the sonar, what do you do?

Thanks for the report. And you are handling the responses very well. You just needed to vent, blow off a bit of the frustration at throwing away a day of your life and a bunch of money. OK, we hear you. Days like that will always happen from time to time. I've been on tough trips where it ended up we were the ONLY boat in a fleet of scores who couldn't find a kelp or meter mark that would cooperate. You walk up the docks with your pristine gear and walk past cones with lots of big fat fish laying around.

And you also know, very well, that the next trip on whichever boat could also end up the same frustrating way. Or it could be epic! And that is why we keep putting down the money and walking onto the decks.

DSimmons

Feb 28, 2018
    Hermosa Beach
    Name
    David Simmons
    Boat Name
    Legend Apha 211 sold
    I assume you're new to offshore fishing.

The offshore ocean is essentially a desert with small concentrations of fish. Your captain could have just stopped the boat and let you put lines in the water with nothing around, but no one would do that. They keep driving hoping to find the one good kelp or school that does want to bite. The difference between skunks and epic offshore trips is often one little piece of floating kelp. Driving all day gives them the best chance of finding the holy grail. It happens.

Sucks when it happens on a trip that you are on, but that is offshore fishing in Southern California.

The captain of any sport boat in SoCal has thousands of days on the water. They know what they're doing. Even the best get skunked multiple times a year.
    Nope. Not new

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    How was the food?

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    the far reaches of crazy
    Name
    Boat Name
    toy
    First stop 10 mins. Second stop 10 mins. This is a GENEROUS estimation of the time fishing. Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching.
    Didn’t fish

We did not put lines in water for 11 hours

That's not a lot of actual fishing, I agree, but you did do a lot of hunting, which is part of fishing. I'm not defending the boat or you, just making an observation.

Dorado, like BFT is known for having lock jaw, no matter what you toss at them. Every captain approaches these types of nonbiting fish differently. That's the drawback of not being the captain of your own boat.

You were on the water, that's a plus. You could be like me, talking with a buddy most of the day about the sudden death of a mutual friend. Flush it, move on. Life is short brother.

Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat Name
    Obliviousone
    Welcome to the wonderful world of of offshore fishing, sounds local which is a total crapshoot and you came up snake eyes so get over it and give it another go before it gets mopped up.

Reactions: Kevin A
    Upvote 0

Depresfish

Electric Fly Hunter
  • Apr 16, 2018
    San Clemente
    Name
    Dylan
    Boat Name
    none
    Details:

I called the landing the afternoon of August 9 to ask about the plan so that we would have all the tackle we needed. The landing office asked deckhands in the tackle shop and the reply was that we would be going to Cat in the morning and sliding off in the afternoon to try for Bluefin. Reports had been so so on the island and positive on the offshore bite chances.

The next morning, at loading, Captain announced we would be instead chasing Dorado and Bluefin down South and that we would be late getting back. No problem. The reports in that area had been good too. Captain also gave the option for any angler not wanting to do that to get off the boat for a refund then.

Here’s where the day turned.

We motored the 2-3 hours to the area South and found dorado that were not yet really biting. First stop 10 mins. Second stop 10 mins. This is a GENEROUS estimation of the time fishing. Captain negatively announced it was our fault we weren’t catching. 45 min - 1 hour run to third stop. 10 mins. That’s it for the day. At that point an experienced Captain made what can only be described as a mistake rookies make and drove away from fish to find fish and then just insanely kept driving the entire day away arriving back at the landing early about 5:15. In all, we motored 11 of the 11 1/2 hours aboard with zero effort given to fishing. There’s no excuse that can be given to the fishermen aboard or the bite because WE SIMPLY DID NOT FISH. AT ALL. PERIOD. We bought a boat ride.
    Hey bro my only comment to you is… that’s fishing. Did you want him to sit on the non biting Mahi all day ? I bet you would have thought Cap was a hero if he found some biting fish later on.

I too was on an OC sportboat Yesterday targeting the local paddies. We spent most of our day, like 6 hours offshore and found 1 paddy holding fish and that was our only real stop thru 1pm. Our 27 anglers Landed 1 dorado. Then we pulled on short bass and cuda on the coast for a couple hours. Allll good…

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    You fished. Catching is different. I’ve been out about 80 times in the past few months and right now there is just a ton of non-biting fish, what do we do? We drive looking for fish that bite. Fishing isn’t for everyone.
    Was he fishing, or on a joy ride?

Upvote 0