David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
Nice juan!

No shame in throwing a 40lb setup at a paddy. Not like you knew what was there. Honestly, I usually only throw 25-30lb at paddies. I would have been screwed.
Yeah 30lb wouldn’t survived. sure was happy once that second gaff was in

David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
Nice! What did it weigh? Your reel should be fine if it was a raptor. I used a Jx raptor on a similar fish and fight, reel did fine.
It taped out at 120lb. I think I’d be fine on a Talica 20/25ii. The fish destroyed the reel which is now getting serviced. It was an angry fish with crazy head shakes the entire fight.

David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
Agreed. We’ve had bft over 100 many times on poppers, surface jigs on long rods with cork. It’s all about the clamp and the right reel. In 30 years can’t say over ever lost a guide during a fight. The Seeker Ulua is the right tool, those Black Steel rods are soft. Congrats on the catch!!
I think trying to get these bigger models is most difficult on live bait because of the lighter line. I landed a few 130-150lbs via kite ten days ago which was a cake walk.
For some reason I keep finding my seeker in my hand and not my Phenix. I’ve got 5 phenix sticks and 1 seeker. Go figure.

Reactions: I hate seals

castone001

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2013
Murrieta
Name
Chris Stone
Boat
Dos Viejos
Congrats!!! What a fun read!! I was there with you as I was reading!

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
Very nice, what deckhand rod would you recommend ? LOL

Reactions: David Ross

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
I'm in your club, I haven't done it the right way yet, light line and lucky has a price to pay. Congrats your back will be fine in a week.

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
You landed it and that's what counts. Please do post in the AVET forum when the reel comes back after servicing/looking at it and let all know how it did hold up under this pressure.

Can't wait to get back in the saddle again.

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
I’m also interested in how the avet faired...

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
NICE FISH...solid effort. Yeah I'm too old for that LT shit, 8 shoulder surgeries later. LOL. They bite 50 up or the hell with it...LOL

David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
You landed it and that's what counts. Please do post in the AVET forum when the reel comes back after servicing/looking at it and let all know how it did hold up under this pressure.

Can't wait to get back in the saddle again.
Thank you,
NICE FISH...solid effort. Yeah I'm too old for that LT shit, 8 shoulder surgeries later. LOL. They bite 50 up or the hell with it...LOL
bro, I’m recovering from a shoulder surgery and over 50 years old. Not exactly a young man so feel your pain and agree 110%.
50lb for this 51 year old 😂

David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
Would you have rather thrown the rope and not get bit? I'm sure your back wishes that were the scenario.
WTG on landing your tuna.
Hahaha, caught a 220lb on a kite (which might as well been on a rope) that was way easier.

• Love
Reactions: wils

David Ross

Jul 27, 2017
Cardiff
Name
David
Boat
Alex Ross
Dude, quit yer bitchin' about a deckhand rod! Just get a better clamp and tighten that shit down! Give me a ring DR, I'll set you up with the goods.
Oh snap! It’s the captain of the magnet. aye aye cap! Just bring AT the muscle and the problem is solved. I dream of the magnet, trying to get back as secondmate. I’ll def give you a call