monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
With my boat down waiting on parts, I decided to go against my better judgment and hop on a full day party boat. The Triton had a charter cancel so I got in on the Sunday full day 5am-5pm.

Boarded the boat, paid for my gunny sack and went below and crashed until we arrived at the back side of Catalina. Fished the first stop on the stern throwing live bait taking only a few minutes to realize why I own my own boat. Landed one medium sized Bonito and put the live bait rod back in the rack and went to the bow to throw snipers.

The first and last stop proved to be the best stops of the day. We ended up with some Bonito, a few bass, a couple rat yt and one nice sheephead. The weather was up and the bite was very scratchy, though I had a decent pick of the Bonito on the stern to keep me busy. I started handing off my rod to a young teenager who wasn't catching much. He was grateful for the opportunity to pull on some fish.

All in all, it was a bad day of catching but the Triton crew were awesome guys. I gave them a healthy tip and thanked them for being a great crew. They really made all the difference in how the trip turned out. Can't tell you how nice it was to have someone else drive and clean the boat for a change. 😁

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
I feel your pain bro I finally gave up after buying a two for one last season on the Eldorado got ripped off for a lingcod and a couple of lucky jigs I wasn’t the only one and the captain and crew treated it like it was an every day occurrence, tossed my ticket for the second trip in the trash on the way out went home that night and literally hugged my boat, I get more satisfaction catching mackerel under my own power than catching tuna on one of those floating shit shows!

Last edited:

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
[QUOTE="RodRage, post: 5265112, member:

jbl_91762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks for sharing as I too am tempted to get on a party boat but for different reasons. Yes my boat crew pitch in and help wash etc. But i think how nice it is to just jump on a boat sleep in bunk go fish and return with some nice fish (hope) and go home. Maybe not the same but I prefer full day boats from SD to fish for tuna.

Reactions: monster1

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Thanks for sharing as I too am tempted to get on a party boat but for different reasons. Yes my boat crew pitch in and help wash etc. But i think how nice it is to just jump on a boat sleep in bunk go fish and return with some nice fish (hope) and go home. Maybe not the same but I prefer full day boats from SD to fish for tuna.
I'd live to fish the day boats in San Diego if I ever find myself in the same position. But dang. That's a 460 mile round trip for me in one days time. Doable. But that's a lot of driving.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Was on the Triton on Sunday as well. Agree, def a bust of a day but not from lack of effort by the crew. Still one of my preferred San Pedro day boats. Massive brek burritos helped ha
Dude, I wanted one of those sooooo bad but I knew it was a gut bomb waiting to happen. Btw, I was the guy in the blue shirt.

20201025_094740.jpg

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

goldfinger81

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 18, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Rob A
Boat
None
Dude, I wanted one of those sooooo bad but I knew it was a gut bomb waiting to happen. Btw, I was the guy in the blue shirt.
Cool dude, yea I was the solo guy with a blue american flag fish hat.

Haha, yea when they handed that burrito to me I was like, this is not gonna end well. But put a burrito in my hand and there's just no way I'm not gonna put it down.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
He paid for a gunny sack! :hali_parkutuli:

• Haha

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
the Triton crew were awesome guys. I gave them a healthy tip and thanked them for being a great crew.
The Triton is a great boat to go fishing on and the crew is awesome
Great and awesome. Agreed?

Nothing wrong with saying a bad day catching.

We all know there's never a bad day fishing . . .

"all-in"

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
I was at the Island on my boat on Sunday. Fishing was just slow and a the weather was not the best with the building winds. The seals were brutal. Most of the morning we would toss out a bait and immediately get eaten by a seal. On the front side mid day, we found a bunch of bones to entertain us. The calicos we caught we about 8 inches except for one 5 pounder that ate a mack.

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I'm not sure why you call this a bad day? Sounds like the crew did everything they could and found you guys fish too. As I'm sure you know you don't always catch big fish no matter what boat you are on. The Triton is a great boat to go fishing on and the crew is awesome.
Dan, I didn't say it was a bad day. I said it was a bad day of "catching." I fish my own boat so I know the score. I've had many bad days of catching whether its my own boat or a party. But I've never had a bad day of fishing. Sorry if my post was confusing.

Last edited:

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
I was at the Island on my boat on Sunday. Fishing was just slow and a the weather was not the best with the building winds. The seals were brutal. Most of the morning we would toss out a bait and immediately get eaten by a seal. On the front side mid day, we found a bunch of bones to entertain us. The calicos we caught we about 8 inches except for one 5 pounder that ate a mack.
Yes sir, it was wide open fur bags (I counted as many as seven around at one time) and wind. Were you the skipjack I saw out there?

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
90% of the issues go away if you can find a nice charter group.

Putting one together is a PITA, but if you can keep a trip going year in, year out, you end up with a great group of friends that get it. Many on our group have their own boats, but it’s nice to have 3-4 beers, nap when you want to, sleep in and not have to worry about running the boat a few times a year.

Theft sucks.

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
Dan, I didn't say it was a bad day. I said it was a bad day of "catching." I fish my own boat so I know the score. I've had many bad days of catching whether its my own boat or a party. But I've never had a bad day of fishing. Sorry if my post was confusing.
no problem. I just said something because some people and I don't mean you, just like to just bash sport boats. I respect all the sport boats because they all work hard to find you fish and keep you all safe out at sea. Good luck and stay safe everyone.

Reactions: Donkey Nick

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
90% of the issues go away if you can find a nice charter group.

Putting one together is a PITA, but if you can keep a trip going year in, year out, you end up with a great group of friends that get it. Many on our group have their own boats, but it’s nice to have 3-4 beers, nap when you want to, sleep in and not have to worry about running the boat a few times a year.

Theft sucks.
Great points. I am lucky enough to have done that for 12+ years 6 times a year. Most like you said had their own boats.

Everyone knew where their bunks were and pole position was whoever got there first. Tackle boxes in always in the same spots. It's a great way to enjoy fishing while getting to know people as friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donkey Nick