Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Does anyone happen to have a video of backup rigs being used? I've tried to explain it to a few of my fishing friends who aren't into longrange and they don't get it haha.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I can only imagine. "You throw a perfectly functional $2,000 outfit into the water?"

Upvote 0

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
Haha. When I was out on the Thunderbird a few weeks ago one guy threw his 20lb stick over tied to a troll Rod. I thought crap now I've seen everything

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
Haha, I've seen em used a couple times and I've had one clipped on but haven't had to do it. I've explained it to them and they just shake their head with the "No fucking way!!" look on their face. I'd love to see a video so I can prove I'm not bullshitting them lol!

Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    The only video I think I have seen is on one of those older Inside Fishing videos of the LR trips.

Upon hearing the crew tell a new angler they are going to hook up a back up rod onto their reel and toss it over reminds me of that scene from Top Gun when Maverick tells the new guy, I'm going to slow down and he's gonna fly right by us, "YOU'RE GOING TO DO WHAT!? hahahah. Here is to hoping my LR gear never needs to go over!

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    You spend all that money to go on the trip and finally hook the fish of a lifetime and your not going to throw your rod and reel in the water? I would, no matter how much you've paid to get this experience, it's not guaranteed. Go for it, you may not get another chance.

Upvote 0

chef tom

Sep 14, 2012
    fresno ca. usa
    Name
    tom waggoner
    Boat
    none
    I used to have a long range vedio of the Excel. Ralph Mickelson was on the boat Randy T. Was the captain at the time. They were at Sacoro island. This guy hooked a huge fish and three backup rigs later Randy pulls the anchor and chases the fish down.
    They wind up getting all the back ups back . With about 100 ft of line left on the fish a deckhand reaches over tightens the drag and pop goes the line . Heart breaking !!!!

Reactions: Scold
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    You spend all that money to go on the trip and finally hook the fish of a lifetime and your not going to throw your rod and reel in the water? I would, no matter how much you've paid to get this experience, it's not guaranteed. Go for it, you may not get another chance.
    Could be the fish of a lifetime. Buddy got bit on a Salami and got spooled very quickly.
    Accurate 50T, in the water. Oh yeah he got it back and landed a 349 lb Yellowfin!

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    Could be the fish of a lifetime. Buddy got bit on a Salami and got spooled very quickly.
    Accurate 50T, in the water. Oh yeah he got it back and landed a 349 lb Yellowfin!
    Yeah and if he wouldn't have gone for it. He would killed the fish in a different way. And missed out on a 300 lber.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
    Jul 10, 2003
    Orange County, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Royal Polaris - sold the boat
    I have not seen a backup rig go into the water in many seasons... with every reel being spectra backed, guys fishing the right drag settings etc.. could all applly.

On my first trip to Clarion, we had a guy get spooled, back up rig attached, over the side it went, the back up rig, got spooled, they attached the second back up rig to that.. then... that rig also got spooled.. I have video of "Boots" on the RP, asking what to do when he was at the knot of the second backup.. the boat did not have any more available... they tied it to a bouy and over the side that went...

Later they chased everything down with the skiff, but the fish was lost...

I always wonder how big that fish was..

Jeff

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    Inside sportfishing video deep color I think they threw a back up rig over and those that say I wouldn't do it are not long range fisherman

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
    May 28, 2006
    Chino,Ca
    Name
    Leonard
    Boat
    Mine
    Inside sport fishing has one of Eric from the Longfin putting 2 or 3 backup rigs in the water from about 20 years ago

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat

These are not published on YouTube only in my private collection. Like to keep it that way.

Fish went #224, The crew on the Excel sure can help you make your dreams come true. Hope this footage sells them some tickets.

Hey Gary, the videos are coming up as private and they aren't playing (at least for me).

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Another reason to put the heat on a fish early, no need to put your rig into the water. If you can't stop them on one rig, you have to lower the drag on each subsequent rig so you are likely just to end up chasing the fish down (watched that done that twice). Personally, I'd rather crank up the drag and either stop the fish or pop him off. Of course that doesn't work with less than 100yds of line left.

Upvote 0

ThunderMudder

Dec 1, 2007
    wishing west c
    Name
    nal
    Boat
    282 GW Sailfish F225's
    Another reason to put the heat on a fish early, no need to put your rig into the water. If you can't stop them on one rig, you have to lower the drag on each subsequent rig so you are likely just to end up chasing the fish down (watched that done that twice). Personally, I'd rather crank up the drag and either stop the fish or pop him off. Of course that doesn't work with less than 100yds of line left.

Most guys on trips targeting big tuna are fishing no less than 25# drag at strike. Mostly 27-30# and fishing 100-130# string (not 80#). Most times a good fish will take the line down to half the spool or a little more. But . . . . Even with 30#+ drag, i've seen the odd mean fish go for what seems like the "unstoppable" run. Could be a mean mean fish, big big fish, or even possibly a foul hooked bigger fish. It just happens and should fortune shine on the angler, it will result in a landed monster. No one likes the idea of using a back up, but shit happens and you do what you can, listen to the deckhands, enjoy the experience, and hope like hell you land the fish.

That said, the bite turns super slow, all recent hooked and caught fish are 60-120#, you drop down to 80# or LESS ("silly string") and a jumbo jumps on your hook . . . Or you're 50# wahoo rig gets picked up by a big tuna. Both these scenarios could result in a backup and your gear going for a swim.

Reactions: TakeItEasy
    Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Maybe just as well for reasons I will explain later. Trying to be considerate of certain requests. I did think they would show up here just not for public consumption. I can show them to you in private later on the RS in a couple of weeks but showing them here may get me in hot water. Thought about that after the fact. Shouldn't have rushed into this considering what was asked of me.

Copy that.

Upvote 0

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
    Name
    ricky
    Boat
    ricky
    IMG_1663.PNG
    there u go happened not too long ago on clemente not to long ago this season fighting 150lb plus bluefin

Reactions: Scold
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    OK, Gary, that's enough. Why not delete the attachments. If Jeff was able to view them...

Upvote 0

Latest posts