Islands Backside Cat 9/1 Report

Socal blue

Mar 18, 2018
Long Beach
Name
Looking for food
Boat
Striper 19
Wed 9/1/21: Weather was projected to be flat, calm and slightly overcast – took off from work for a solo island trip. Indeed, flat crossing, no one really around and barely any wind chop leaving the island for home ~4 ish.

Summary - Great day of fishing – but I couldn’t catch the one thing I was out there for. Yellowtail and/or a small BFT.

Left LB 6am. Beat up small sardine and few anchovies mixed in from Nacho. Stopped on many paddies holding bait on the way over, saw a small juvenile YT on one paddy, but could not get it to bite.
Backside water temps were mostly 69-70°
Most everything caught on 20 flouro leader with live bait.

1st stop to make sure no skunk. Quarry for bass. Not one boat to compete with and the bass bit on every cast with live sardines. 2-6 quick stops up the backside between palisades to salta verde for more bass, sheepshead, whitefish. No marks of bigger fish. All 30-90ft of water.
Trolled between stops with diving green mac colored rapala and a cedar plug up to the wreck area east of Farnsworth, NW of China point for nada. No large marks seen on finder. Out to 200 ish depth

Main spot - Anchored at Farnsworth – tried chumming with my beat up sardines, some live, some chopped. Only could get large mackerel to come biting on a jig. No large meter marks. The Gail Force poked around for a quick bit, then bailed (that should tell me something).

North to “Eagle” high spot off the corner and caught a more than a few sculpin / rockfish / whitefish on squid dropper loops while long soaking the sad baits on the surface.
Trolled around the west end corner looking for marks – nada
Last stop – in the two harbors eagle reef area which was swarming with sea lions. All live baits were grabbed by sea lions. Switched to frozen squid / dropper loop for the usual bottom fare. Couple of whitefish, sheepshead and some random small yellow long finger looking fish.
Headed back home.
In the channel about 1/3 way home found a giant foamer that sunk out before I could make it to the surface fish. In the water was an absolute bloodbath of leftover scales. Never seen so many shimmering scales in the water. No more live bait but I did try 80g and 100g colt snipers on surface and jigging though them. For Nada. Many bait schools seen on the way home with birds going at them but no more foamers. Lots of life in the channel. Birds, porpoises, pilot whales, bait under nearly every paddy stopped at.
All fish that could still swim were released to spawn more fun for next time. Took home a few rockfish that were not going to swim back down for ceviche.
I had 20lb flouro on a medium rod baitcaster setup with 50lb braid. Size 1 owner circle hooks. The smaller sardines really wanted a 3 or even a 4 hook. Didn’t have any on me. Most of the fishing was done on a drift except Farnsworth, Eagle reef and the high spot for rock fish. 20210901_093906.jpg20210901_082117.jpg20210901_113414.jpg

I could really use some tips on scoring them Island YT.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Way to give a full look. Got some fish
    at least=a good thing. Not much going
    on with YT or BF at or near Cat this week,
    at least judging by many reports here.
    Better Luck next time. NOT this weekend.
    LOL Be a mad house at Cat. LOL

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
    CHINO
    Name
    JOEY
    Boat
    KAYAK
    Thanks for post, I just pulled my boat back to side of house instead of wasting time and money for no love.

Yuri_SD
    Yuri_SD
    That's why we got a sailboat - we can just sail and not burn the fuel and even if we do motor all day trying to find fish - it comes out to no more than $40 since the diesel is so thrifty. You just need to be OK with not being in a rush.
    Upvote 0

CaptHawks

Mar 2, 2019
    Catalina Island
    Name
    Conor Hawks
    Boat
    Rum Line
    I live on the island and I haven't heard of anyone getting much of anything this past week.... I went out the same day and got huge macks on the paddies but nothing else going

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Thanks for detailed report. It sounds like you did the right things. Just nobody’s home right now. I think you had a good day on the water. Just not the desired outcome.

Upvote 0

tree3

Almost A Member
    Sep 3, 2012
    Alamitos Bay
    Name
    FL Jeff
    Boat
    Pathfinder 2400 TE
    Fly line sardine got me my first YT at the island in 8 years last weekend. Smaller model hanging out deeper in a kelpie bass zone on front side.

Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    If they were there you would have scored. For what it is worth, I pretty much always anchor……..Thanks for the info, nice report.

Upvote 0
    May 13, 2004
    Long Beach and points due west
    Name
    Bob Ballew
    Boat
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    The homeguards at Farnsworth usually swim thru about every 20 minutes or so when present...Free diving, I would dive down to the top of the reef, lay there and wait to get a spear shot,,,they usually came thru at about 30'- 40' along the reef edge consistantly...a starfish on top of the reef was my marker...

Upvote 0

Socal blue

Mar 18, 2018
    Long Beach
    Name
    Looking for food
    Boat
    Striper 19
    I know about the no bottom fishing at the bank - but I did not know about no anchoring. FWIW I was not anchored on the high spot but further away using the current to take the bait into the high spot.
    Good to know about the no anchoring though - no need to get pinched by a warden. I'm working on installing a gps troller. Expensive they are though.

Upvote 0