Backing for spectra

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
Granada Hills CA.
Name
Carlos
Boat
Parker 2120
Hi guys. I have a question. I have a Penn Senator 114-H I want to use as a kite reel. I have 500 yards of 80Lbs braided line I’m putting on it but I know it won’t fill it up at all. Would you recommend using 60lb mono as backing?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Mtnfshr

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
Are you using it to fly the kite? Or to catch fish with?
Putting #60 mono under 80 braid does not seem a good way to go. Just my opinion...

Reactions: mcrae
Upvote 0

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Dacron

Reactions: sickcat and Orca
Upvote 0

dave_k

Feb 26, 2008
Westlake Village
Name
Dave
Boat
Whaler
Stick with the 500 yards of 80. Having the spool half full will give you more cranking power when winding it in. When the wind kicks up it will make life a lot easier

Upvote 0

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
I've used the 114 as a kite reel a bunch. I agree that you don't want to sacrifice too much cranking power when you're pulling the kite against a strong wind. However, with the kite really far from the boat, it takes forever and wrecks your shoulder to get it back in. Invest in a crank adapter and carry a cordless drill. It makes all the difference.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I agree with Mag....drill adapter if not an electric upgrade. As for the backing.... what ever you use..... make "fast crosses" for the last 100 yards of backing (closest to the connecting point). This will help keep the spectra from digging deep into the backing when "decompressing" during the resting period. This is a really important step... for longevity of both the reel and the spectra. Those who haven't learned this lesson are either lucky or fortunate enough that someone in the tackle shop did it for them... automatically.

We did this many times as well with dacron in the early days. Just a thought. Good luck.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Stick with the 500 yards of 80. Having the spool half full will give you more cranking power when winding it in. When the wind kicks up it will make life a lot easier
    And a lot Longer To Reel In! Get some type of power assist for the winding in. Or put one of those power handles that they put on when deep fishing for rockcod, (way back in the days).

Last edited:
    Upvote 0