Back to lure making- The octopus....

Discussion in 'Home Built Fishing Lures' started by MattS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. MattS

MattS Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Hobie Adventure, 14' Bayrunner
    Well I finally got around to cleaning the shop and making a few lures again. I made up an octopus master a while back and finally got around to making a mold from it. I need to get some RTV silicon to make better molds, as I just used household silicone for this one. Had to patch a few voids, but overall the mold came out pretty good. I am happy with the results.

They are 6" in length. I may play around with gluing some lure eyes on them for more appeal.

I figure the bait can be put on a hook and leader, and allowed to drift the bottom; or placed on a lead head and jigged. There is enough meat on them, that the head could even be cut down to match up with a brown colored jig head (like a spires jig head). I will play around with some different setups. I hope it will be a lingcod and cabazon killer!

Here are a few of the first pours. I have found the baits seem to improve after the mold "breaks in", or maybe I just get better at pouring individual molds :smt003 I have to find my round trimmer as the scissors I used on these just are not as clean cutting the flashing. That is what i get for waiting so long before getting back to lure making, all my stuff is scattered!

[​IMG]

Matt

2. jarredondo684

jarredondo684 Newbie

Name:
    Joe A
    Here is a naive question but what do you fish for with these? I've never seen these before. Pretty cool!

3. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Radical!

4. okie man

okie man I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    halibut and lings love small octopus.

5. MattS

MattS Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Hobie Adventure, 14' Bayrunner
    Exactly, Lings,Halibut, and Cabazone love little octopus! As well as most other rock fish and other larger octopus!

Well here are a couple of rigging ideas. I may play with ball heads more, as I think it has potential. I used the end of a flux brush to cut out the eye a little more. I played with a craft jewel eye and a stick on lure eye. I really like the look with the eyes. Gives it that little extra, but is likely catching me more than the fish :smt001

The first head is a 6oz Spires Head, poured without a shank. The lure is held in place with a drop of super glue.

The second is a 4oz ball squid head. I attached a 8/0 straight shank hook with a split ring. I really like the look of this lure! it would allow for a lot of action.

I also poured a couple more baits while playing with these. The mold is really starting to work great, as the new pours are very nice and smooth. I am using brown plastic with purple and black glitter and a bit of salt. I may have to play with some different colors as well.

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt

6. j3dgu

j3dgu Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Whaler 190, 130
    Those have alot of potential on dogtooth tuna in this part of the world.

7. lingasaurus

lingasaurus Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    always on The Samson
    Those look great, I know a few lings that would love those along with the Cabbies. If you start selling send me PM would love to try out.

8. rubble

rubble Member

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    Trophy 1802WA

Ditto.......,

I'd pickup a few too.......

9. Big Pancho

Big Pancho Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Matt they turned out great. I got something that kinda looks like that somewhere in my mess of lures. Good to seeya back and working on your lures. Shoot me a PM I got an idea as how to rig that thing so you don't have to use an external weight set up. How about making a mold where the weight would sit inside the head of the bait. It would be pretty easy make the head bigger and smaller in order to except any size weight you would like to use. Just a taught I had for my bait. I personality think that the more realistic you can make the bait look the better hook up ratio it may have. But it is just my two cents. Keep up the great work.

BP